Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
jema

Barley wine kit problem

I have mislayed the instructions on a Barley wine beer kit.

It is close to need to be syphoned into a Keg, but what sort of SG would you reckon it should be at this stage, and for 32pints, how much suger to add to the keg?
Blue Peter

Re: Barley wine kit problem

jema wrote:

It is close to need to be syphoned into a Keg, but what sort of SG would you reckon it should be at this stage, and for 32pints, how much suger to add to the keg?

By this, you mean putting it away to mature? I would guess that it will be around 1020 if you got complete fermentation, but you could just wait until fermentation has pretty much stopped, or the SG is fairly constant.

The sugar is priming sugar? I would say the usual amount,

Peter.

Caveat: I'm not a very good brewer Sad
jema

Re: Barley wine kit problem

Blue Peter wrote:
jema wrote:

By this, you mean putting it away to mature? I would guess that it will be around 1020 if you got complete fermentation, but you could just wait until fermentation has pretty much stopped, or the SG is fairly constant.

The sugar is priming sugar? I would say the usual amount,

Peter.

Caveat: I'm not a very good brewer Sad

What is the usual amount? I brew wine not beer as a rule.
Treacodactyl

I can dig up instructions tonight or some of the beer kit web sites may have them online.
jema

I have found a web site say a "cup".

I doubt this is a very exact science.
Treacodactyl

I would say a US Cup would be too much. It's often not much more than you would uses for a few bottles IIRC.
Blue Peter

jema wrote:
I have found a web site say a "cup".

I doubt this is a very exact science.

No, it's not. I think that it's just enough sugar to raise the SG by about 1 degree (or maybe even less than that). I was going to say about 1/2 oz per gallon.

Anyway, with a barley wine, you might not need it, especially if you keg while there's still a bit of fizz in it,

Peter.
gil

never made barley wine, but looked at kits in the shop - seems to be that the point of making 20 or32 pints or whatever (instead of more usual 40) is that you use the same overall amount i.e. 1kg for the batch, and then prime with the same amount as usual per bottle.

so your starting SG should be greater than the usual 1040 or thereabouts.
Treacodactyl

The book I tend to use suggests 1.5 level tablespoons of sugar or dried malt per gallon. After trying it I had better results with dried malt in a barrel as it seem to keep the gas level up when only drawing off the odd pint.

Leave to mature for at least 6 months. Wink
jema

gbst wrote:
never made barley wine, but looked at kits in the shop - seems to be that the point of making 20 or32 pints or whatever (instead of more usual 40) is that you use the same overall amount i.e. 1kg for the batch, and then prime with the same amount as usual per bottle.

so your starting SG should be greater than the usual 1040 or thereabouts.

In this case it is the kegging SG that is the concern though.
gil

jema - just realised the method you're using. no idea about SG at that point - I use glass bottles. think the SG has to come down to the usual for non-barleywine (hence shows there is a higher alcohol content in the final product [down from 1060 to the beer-bottling mark on the hydrometer Embarassed , rather than only from 1060 to 1020]

but do you then prime with the usual amount for a 40pint batch, divvyed up among 24/32 bottles, or is it just a half teaspoon per 500mlbottle ?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home