Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
barefoot_boo

Basket Weaving

Anyone here make baskets? It's something I'm keen to have a go at, but don't have a clue where to start! Any hints, tips, online resources/suppliers?

thanks in advance,
boo
nora

I made a basket waste paper bin at school 33 years ago but I suspect this may not be quite what you mean. Its still being used by my mum though.
Stacey

Hmm - I'm trying to find a basketweaving course for my husband to go on. My hands wouldn't cope with it but I have beautiful dreams about him making basketwork things and me weaving lovely things to go on/in them.
Sigh.
Róisín

nora wrote:
I made a basket waste paper bin at school 33 years ago but I suspect this may not be quite what you mean. Its still being used by my mum though.

laughing5 rofl!
greenbean

I have just made a rustic basket (rustic meaning basic and kinda rubbish) from clematis, clematis is good as it's very pliable, it used to be used a lot but it has gone out of fashion. If you have clematis that needs cutting back it's really useful as a practise material. I am not a basket maker (yet!), just playing around.
snootycat

I looked for a basket making course locally and couldnt find one either. Nor could I find a local supplier. You could try Hand made Baskets by Susie Vaughan ISBN no 0 85532 755 3 which uses materials from hedgerows. I have had the book for a while but havent been able to do anything about it as I have been so busy, but apparently its a winter thing anyway in terms of collecting the woods.
Pam
Bugs

snootycat wrote:
You could try Hand made Baskets by Susie Vaughan ISBN no 0 85532 755 3 which uses materials from hedgerows. I have had the book for a while but havent been able to do anything about it as I have been so busy,

Snap! The instructions are good though. When I get round to it I am fairly confident of being able to have a bash at it. What is nice is that you can probably get hold of the "ingredients" quite easily (it uses bramble as a twine for example).

Barefoot, whereabouts are you? There is a place somewhere in the SW (Somerset I think) called the Magdelen Project or something which I am sure does basketmaking among a lot of other useful courses. I have browsed details for a couple in different places, if I come across them again I will let you know.

http://basketmakers.com/

Not all the links are up and running but some are.

indy
wellington womble

Oh dear - I think I have that book too! Never made any baskets, but when I bought a load of live willow (far too much, so quite a lot died!) I used the dead bits to weave plant supports and live bits for fences, and I've made obelisks in the past, and fencing from hazel I cut (always a bit nervous about cutting other peoples hedges, though) Plus I can never remember where the right trees are when the leaves have come off. I plan to plant some when I have enough space though (HA!)

It does look straightforward though..........

Edit - I got stuff from somerset levels, I think, although suppliers are popping up in the google adds too. My local college does a basket weaving course - depends how far you want to travel!
judith

If anyone within reasonable striking distance of Welshpool wants any willow (and possibly hazel) to practice with, don't buy it. We have loads and will be cutting it down over the winter.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home