Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Behemoth

Basking Sharks Moving North

Britain's biggest fish appears to be moving to Scottish waters - and experts say it may be down to global warming.
Sightings of basking sharks are up 65% off the Scottish coast since 2001, but down 66% in south-west England, the Marine Conservation Society (MCS) said.
It has studied the sharks for 17 years, relying on sightings from the public.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4096504.stm
Haddock

Certainly from my time of diving in British waters, the average sea temp was increasing each year, and/or becoming warmer earlier or for longer. So I guess the plankton are going further north, and the sharks are following. I snorkeled once with a Basking Shark off Cornwall. A most impressive creature.
sean

Didn't Gavin Maxwell (the ring of bright water bloke) try to run a commercial basking shark fishery in Scotland sometime in the mid twentieth century?
Viking_Chick

Thats interesting - here in Shetland there was a huge issue with sandeels moving north, so seabirds were not nesting as they did not have enough food. This year there *seems* to be more seabird activity on the nesting front so far and also more sightings of basking sharks. I wonder if this increase in warmer water plankton has also provided the seabirds with more food (sandeels or other)?
Simon S

Quote:
sean Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:59 pm Post subject:

Didn't Gavin Maxwell (the ring of bright water bloke) try to run a commercial basking shark fishery in Scotland sometime in the mid twentieth century?

That's right, the Isle of Soay Shark Fishery, check out his book "Harpoon at a Venture" for the full story
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home