Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Bodger

Bat detectors?

Bat detectors ? Has anyone got one, does anyone use one?

The time when I could hear the high pitched calls of the bats flying in our garden has long since gone. I'd like to hear them again and there are some devices on the market that claim to be able to tell you which species of bat that you are listening to. To be able to do this would certainly be of interest to me.

Imagine my confusion when a quick Google revealed this little lot. Shocked

bat detectors

I don't want to pay through the eyes and nose for a top of the range model but nor do I want a cheap crappy one. Listening to bats isn't going to be a full time hobby but is something that I've always wanted to do, so can anyone advise me on what I should buy?

Personal recommendation is what I'm after. Please don't send me another link. Very Happy

Edited by the link-shortening fairy
cir3ngirl

are there any mentioned on http://www.bats.org.uk/[/quote]
Bodger

The link comes up as Page not found.
cir3ngirl

http://www.bats.org.uk/ where did that quote come from Embarassed
Katieowl

I've got a bat box 'baton' and batscan software. It was a present (but I think they are about £90) I've only used it a few times in the garden...but I've never had it connected to the laptop to do the sound analysis, as a) I'm a bit wary of dragging my laptop outside and b) I didn't really understand the instructions about downloading the sound files.... Embarassed I should throw a teenager at it.

I'm pretty sure my bats here are pippistrelles (spl?) and that we only have one kind...but maybe I'll find out if I get to grips with it.

Kate
Bodger

We definately have at least two species.
buzzy

Bodger, do you just want to listen to the bats, or do you want to go down the road of recording the calls and analysing the sounds on a computer.

If just listening, you will be able to have a guess at which species you are hearing (and one or two you will be able to identify for certain).

If you go for recording and analysis, you will be able to have a slightly more informed guess at which species you are recording, and you will have lots of recordings which will make you say "What on earth is that!?" All great fun.

I went to a talk by someone who had a top of the range recorder/analysis set up. Even with that she couldn't reliably distinguish Noctules from Leisler's from Serotines, or Whiskered from Brandt's from Daubenton's from Natterer's. She did distinguish Soprano from Common Pipistrelle, but even that is fraught with problems. She wasn't working in Horseshoe country, but they are a piece of cake anyway.

I have a Batbox Duet for listening, and an Anabat for recording. They both perform well.

Henry
Bodger

How much will a set up like yours cost and where would you suggest that I source it ?
buzzy

The Batbox Duet currently advertised on their website at £212.77 plus vat and P&P.

Not sure about the Anabat at the moment - they have introduced the SD2 model since I bought my SD1. Mine cost over £1000 three years ago - this may be enough to put you off Smile I will try and find out - they have changed UK suppliers.

Henry
Bodger

I wont be lashing out that much buzzy. I was thinking more along the lines of a starter kit but something fairly resonable, yours sounds like top of the range.
we had loads of bats out here last night and it was warm enough for us to sit outside.
wellington womble

A friend has one, I'll try and find out what model. I know he went on a local bat walk and talk evening and got talked through how to use it and what bats made what sounds on it. Might be a good place to start.
Bodger

I'm thinking of getting one of these for around £60. They were recommended by someone on another forum.

http://www.magenta2000.co.uk/
buzzy

I'm thinking of getting one of these for around £60. They were recommended by someone on another forum.

http://www.magenta2000.co.uk/

Almost all of the reports I've heard of Magenta detectors have been very good. I had a listen to one a few years ago and it performed very well - very sensitive. You would certainly get your money's worth with one of theirs.

Henry
buzzy

I wont be lashing out that much buzzy. I was thinking more along the lines of a starter kit but something fairly resonable, yours sounds like top of the range.

I was told that the set-up the lecturer was using cost in excess of £3k! Surprised

Henry
Bodger

Batty bat bat ! :yell: :yell: :yell: My bat detector arrived this morning and I'll be bat detecting tonight. I'll let you know how we go on. thumbup
Anyone fancy a go at predicting what sort of bats we'll have?
Rusticwood

Batty bat bat ! :yell: :yell: :yell: My bat detector arrived this morning and I'll be bat detecting tonight. I'll let you know how we go on. thumbup

I hope it's dry your way tonight Wink
buzzy

Yep - piece of cake - you'll have Pipistrelles Laughing

Henry
Bodger

I haven't quite sussed it out yet, the bats that are flying tonight could be one of about four species but I'll crack it eventually. The sounds that the creatures are making are absolutely fantastic. I love my toy and when I'm be off down to Devon in a couple of weeks, I'll be making room for it in my suitcase. buzzy

I haven't quite sussed it out yet, the bats that are flying tonight could be one of about four species but I'll crack it eventually. The sounds that the creatures are making are absolutely fantastic. I love my toy and when I'm be off down to Devon in a couple of weeks, I'll be making room for it in my suitcase.

Sound idea - if you get to hear horseshoe bats they will blow you away!

Bats are very tricky (apart from horseshoes) especially between 40 and 60 kHz. Don't get put off if you can't identify the species, just enjoy the sounds.

Henry

ETA Pipistrelles first heard here tonight at 22.05 (BST). But I was a bit late putting the detector out.
Bodger

I had my detector set on 45 but whether it was the weather or not, I'm not sure but there didn't appear to be as usual about last night. Bodger

Buzzy. Going by the instructions, I'm fairly certain that one of the species that we have around the house is the Noctule bat. I picked them up on 20. I also have another species which is registering on 45. buzzy

Buzzy. Going by the instructions, I'm fairly certain that one of the species that we have around the house is the Noctule bat. I picked them up on 20. I also have another species which is registering on 45.

It is entirely possible that you have Noctules around your house. The calls you hear on the detector, if from Noctules) at 20 kHz will be an entirely different rhythm (much slower) from those you hear at 45 kHz.

If the rhythms at the different frequencies are very similar, then the 20kHz sounds may be harmonics of the 45Khz calls. Such are the problems of bat detecting. Confused

Henry
Bodger

Definately different calls. buzzy

Definately different calls.

Excellent. Noctules it could well be, then (though they are tricky to separate from Leisler's Laughing ). What part of the country are you listening in?

Henry
Bodger

On the Lleyn Peninsular.

I've just got back from a walk to a pool with willows around it. I picked several bats up on 50 rather than 45 and think that this probably makes them Natterer's bats.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home