Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Cathryn

battery or usb port?

Is there a way that I can check if it is the battery or the usb port that is knackered on my tablet?

I've tried all the possible fixes suggested online and it's still dead. Now I would like to work out whether it is a bit of something that could possibly be replaced.
Nick

What make and model is it?
Cathryn

Nexus 7, I've gone through all possible fixes I've found online with no success.
Nick

Sorry. Don't know then. If it were an ipad, I knew the answer...
Hairyloon

I believe that with most common battery faults, you can usually run the device when it is plugged in: if you can't, then that suggests it isn't connecting to the power.
Try a new cable first off and a different socket on the PC.
You could try jiggling the plug: see if you can get it to make a connection.

After that the only option is to open the box and poke it with a meter.
JB

Check the charger and cable. Tablets require a surprisingly high amount of power to charge and are borderline for a lot of chargers. For example I have two USB chargers next to me, one produces 5V 0.85A and the other 5V 2A, get the wrong one and it will look like my tablet is dead
sally_in_wales

Nexus 7, I've gone through all possible fixes I've found online with no success.

my Nexus 7 has had a couple of episodes of playing dead. What it needed was 24 hours charge with the original charger (for some reason, that worked where otherwise compatible chargers didnt) then a reset where you hold down the buttons for about a minute until it fired up.
mark

with nexus 7 it should show charging (battery icon) when USB is plugged in. If it doesn't then could be usb port or some other break or short in wiring between USB and charging software or the internals being b*ggered .

Is it a Nexus 7 orignal or Nexus 7 second gen

If it is the second gen I have a newish one with everything working except a crack in screen and could possibly offer the guts of mine (battery + USB plus motherboards and any circuitry you need ) to fix yours). I would do the fixing for you .
You would need to fund postage to send to me and I pay postage to send back . I live in Derby.

Cost to you would be half purchase cost of new second Gen Nexus if we have the same model ! ie we split our losses equally and you end up with working nexus!

Message me if you are interested in further chat re this. Let me know which model you have and how much memory it has so I can see if this is possible

If you are still in warranty- don't contact me - contact google.

If you have original Nexus 7 not second gen I can't help as parts are not compatible.
Cathryn

It's not a second generation Mark otherwise I would have jumped at your offer.

Thank you everyone, unfortunately I have tried most of your suggestions already. There are a couple more things I can try before I give up on it. I'm not hopeful though. I'll have to start saving up as I miss having it. Music, plays. Sad I was very happy with it but I am now wary of replacing it with the same thing - it seems a relatively common problem. A trouble free tablet would be nice. I'll be back for suggestions if these next solutions fail!
tahir

Apple stuff is expensive but it does last well. We still have working iphone 3s at work
vegplot

Have a Surface Pro 3 which I highly recommend. Not cheap though.
midtown

Re: battery or usb port?

I've tried all the possible fixes suggested online and it's still dead. Now I would like to work out whether it is a bit of something that could possibly be replaced.

Have you tried this fix?
http://blog.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/2014/08/23/problem-connecting-my-google-nexus-4-to-windows-8-1/
Ignore the fact it states Nexus 4. It works perfectly well on the first gen Nexus 7, and I has just about exhausted every other avenue of 'expert' advice before finding this cure - which finally worked!
Nick

Apple stuff is expensive but it does last well. We still have working iphone 3s at work

Expensive, but better value for money. Very different things.
Cathryn

Re: battery or usb port?

Have you tried this fix?
http://blog.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/2014/08/23/problem-connecting-my-google-nexus-4-to-windows-8-1/
Ignore the fact it states Nexus 4. It works perfectly well on the first gen Nexus 7, and I has just about exhausted every other avenue of 'expert' advice before finding this cure - which finally worked!

Thank you, I had a look through, it wasn't there. It doesn't recognise it because of it's battery problem.
Cathryn

Yes but sometimes you have to compromise.

Do I start a poll for the most reliable tablet? (Will it resemble a poll for the best food mixer?)
mark

Yes but sometimes you have to compromise.

Do I start a poll for the most reliable tablet? (Will it resemble a poll for the best food mixer?)

Not really worth it! About 75% of all repairs to smartphones/portable tablets are accidental damage! Dropping stuff is the main cause. Usually dropping so screen breaks or dropping into water (dropping into toilet is surprisingly high on statistics!)

Damage to connectors is also high on the list of failures - it just fails and is not usually thought to be accidental damage but how many times did you tug on that charging lead or accidentally snag it when the phone was charging!

Untii a few years ago Apple did have a reliability advantage over most Android devices. It does overt the cheaper "give away" devices. However now any difference with the higher end HTC , Samsung or Motorola or the most recent Nexus devices is negligible.

In fact my family (brothers and sisters and inlaws) who all use apple devices seem to have had a lot more downtime or problems than I have.

PS is your First gen Nexus 7 battery i turns out to be the problem you can get a new one off ebay from about 15 and it is quite easy to change. No soldering needed - but you do need to undo a couple of ribbon connectors to access it!
You can get a new usb conector + ribbon attachment for about 10
so its not too hard to fix.
Cathryn

Yep, I am looking on ebay at the moment. One of the possible faults was a loose battery clip, far too easy that one though.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home