Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Sally Too

BBC Article "Etsy, Folksy and the mania for making craf

So perhaps a bit more traffic for these sites coming up to Christmas?

Etsy, Folksy and the mania for making crafts
Midland Spinner

The journalist is a bit dismissive - phrases like "bewildering array" and "items can be bafflingly niche" or "somebody has made it and somebody out there is willing to buy it".

I could say the same about people who fill news columns with meaningless twaddle just to get their quota of words published, but I generally don't bother.
Sally Too

Got to admit, the article looked a bit long, so I scrolled and looked at all the pictures and though.... oooooh lovely!

Maybe others will do the same - but still wander over to the sites to look?
Sally Too

Mind you some-one's buying:

"Folksy, which launched in 2008 and focuses exclusively on UK designers and makers, says sales increased by 526% from June 2009 to June 2012."

And

"The craft calling also reflects a growing desire to reassert individuality in a culture of cheap mass-produced goods, according to Richard Cope, director of insight at Mintel Inspire.

"In an era where everyone is walking around with Kindles and PCs and the same MP3 player and Superdry clothes, handmade and niche items are a real opportunity to express personality," he says."

So not all bad press at all.
Nicky cigreen

I know two of the sellers featured - and both do pretty well. good publicity for them too Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home