Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
OtleyLad

BBC4 - Deep Down & Dirty: The Science of Soil

This could be interesting:
Deep Down & Dirty: The Science of Soil
It's on tomight at 9pm. Hopefully it won't be more image than content.
oldish chris

well spotted. Thankyou
Mithril

Was it any good?
NorthernMonkeyGirl

It was; my attention wandered during one section but that's on me not them! Laughing A lot of it I was familiar with (e.g. the role of fungi) but it seemed a very good balance of "science" and "accessibility". Def catch it on iplayer if you get chance.
LynneA

Much of it was familiar from Hort College, but great to see again. The asparagus farm at the end was particularly informative. (Must get some straw bales and hope the wasps don't take up residence this time)

I suspect this will become part of lectures now. But how many tutors will be brave enough to let students set fire to soil?
Jamanda

Much of it was familiar from Hort College, but great to see again. The asparagus farm at the end was particularly informative. (Must get some straw bales and hope the wasps don't take up residence this time)

I suspect this will become part of lectures now. But how many tutors will be brave enough to let students set fire to soil?

The soil burning thing is a standard school experiment. I'm sure anyone doing it a higher levels would haver no issues with their students doing it.
Mistress Rose

Possibly less spectacular than the thermite process that we did at school. I didn't see the programme, but of course some soil won't burn and some will. Fortunately our wood is on the former, but remember a fire that went on for weeks a couple of miles down the road from here when the soil caught fire and I was only 4 at the time, so quite spectacular.
Jamanda

I like the thermite process. I had a hole in the ceiling of my last place from it. Very Happy

The actual soil in the ground catching fire is a bit scary really.
dpack

i took a while to watch it right through but it was quite interesting.

the stuff about slowing run off and erosion surprised me as i thought that contour farming was normal and that gaps of grass would be a first thought for folk on slopes.

ps mr chinn's asparagus and broccoli is rather nice and im glad his farm isnt in the river even if it did take a few years to organise keeping his soil.
Mithril

Great. That's my viewing this evening sorted Smile
OtleyLad

Got to watch this at last. I would give it 7 out of 10. Pretty informative and a reminder of just how precious the stuff is.

Could do without the repetitive shots of him driving his landrover though and showing the same clips of closeups of his booted feet as he walks (its just not sexy).
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home