Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
boisdevie1

Beach fishing advice

Next week I might get the chance to go beach fishing so I would really appreciate some advice. The beach is gently shelving sand. I plan to use a beachcaster rod and multiplier with some kind of lead/hook arrangement. Bait would be strips of mackerel as I've got some in the freezer.
How could I improve on this? My cunning plan is to catch so many fish that I'll have to buy another freezer.
zigs

Blimey, only just seen your first request, how embarrasing that so many forum members have looked at this & not given you advice, i'd like to apologise on behalf of the forum, shame on you guys, hope my bit of waffle on your other post is of some help, if not, pm me & i'll help you through the whole set up bit.

Zig
Bebo

ziggy searchfield wrote:
Blimey, only just seen your first request, how embarrasing that so many forum members have looked at this & not given you advice, i'd like to apologise on behalf of the forum, shame on you guys, hope my bit of waffle on your other post is of some help, if not, pm me & i'll help you through the whole set up bit.

Zig

Erm, maybe those that looked weren't qualified to advise. I always read the fishing posts just in case there is some interesting advice, but am crap at beach fishing so generally keep quiet in them.
Treacodactyl

Bebo wrote:
Erm, maybe those that looked weren't qualified to advise. I always read the fishing posts just in case there is some interesting advice, but am crap at beach fishing so generally keep quiet in them.

Same here, although on recent trips I've not seen anyone catch much so I'm in good company. Laughing

Anyone know of a decent online resource with a few basic rigs on them, that would be very useful.

Bois, did you catch anything?
zigs

Sorry guys, didn't mean to be rude, i'm just too used to hanging around in fishing forums I guess.

Total sea fishing magazine is good for starting up advice.

Theres some good archive stuff at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Sea-Fishing-f4.html&s=9639bee49598e4fd9253ae54c8fe22d4

But the forum seems to have died a bit recently.
magnet

beach fishing

I do a bit of beach fishing, first up dont buy anything too expensive the fish dont know what you've got on the shore. I would'nt recommend a beginer trying to cast with a multiplier,buy a fixed spool reel and a 12ft rod.You'll also need a support for your rod when you have cast ,if your beaches are rocky a tripod is best,now you can go and buy one if you want but 3 sticks about 4ft long lashed at the top will do.On the beaches round here its sandy so all I have is a piece of steel pipe that the butt of the rod fits into about 18" long with a 12"spike welded to it which is stuck into the sand.If you are casting big weights you need to attach a shock leader to your main line, the shock leader is a length of stronger line tied onto the mainline of the reel I use no more than 6oz weights so i use a 60lb breaking strain shock leader tied with a bimmini hitch to a 15 lb mainline. The shock leader needs at least 3 turns around the spool of the reel when you are about to cast the object being that the shockleader takes the strain not the weaker mainline.To the end of the shockleader tie with a grinner knot a good quality snaplink these are a bit like the clip on your dogs lead its to this you will attach your rig. Again you can buy ready tied rigs or like me make your own but to start buy some and you can always copy them yourself .A good simple rig that i use alot is the flapper it has two traces (lines with hooks) and the weight at the bottom the main body of the rig is made from the same shock leader mentioned before and the traces are made from short lengths of mainline. As for bait you need to find out what the locals use but dont be scared to try your own ideas also dont think you have to blast your bait out to the horizon you can catch fish close in.The most important thing is saftey when fishing an incoming tide be sure you dont get cut off from the land its amazing how quick the sea comes in and can fill a hollow in the beach behind you cutting you off if you are fishing rock marks watch for rogue waves that can swamp you wear a flotation suit every time,always tell someone where you are going and take a mobile phone in a ziplock bag. sorry for the rambling post but hope it helps .Tight lines Magnet
Bodger

Very good advice there Magnet. thumbup

I'd also add that night time fishing from the beach is more often than not better than daytime. Get yourself a head torch along with an LED lantern and you're up and running. A good flask plus a wife who'll bring you fish and chips down to the slipway comes in handy too. Very Happy
Nick

There were several calls for a numpties guide to sea fishing in the Oscars, recently. Why don't you lot pool together, and write one? Be very useful. Sean would be delighted to proof read, edit and abridge it, I'm sure.

(Hiya, Sean!)
sean

I'd be happy to. Smile
Nick

It wasn't a question.
Drewsephine

Nick wrote:
There were several calls for a numpties guide to sea fishing in the Oscars, recently. Why don't you lot pool together, and write one? Be very useful. Sean would be delighted to proof read, edit and abridge it, I'm sure.

(Hiya, Sean!)

Its already been done Wink
magnet

Bodger wrote:

I'd also add that night time fishing from the beach is more often than not better than daytime. Get yourself a head torch along with an LED lantern and you're up and running. A good flask plus a wife who'll bring you fish and chips down to the slipway comes in handy too. Very Happy
Yes nightime is more productive around an hour before high / low water and in my neck of the woods after a strong northerly and a big sea. Another shiney thing worth mentioning is a tip light , this is a small light attached to the end of the rod that enables you to see when you have a bite, a word of advice however be sure the shock leader hasn't looped around the tip light when you're about to cast cos you might snap the rod tip.Dont ask me how I know this!! Magnet
zigs

magnet wrote:
Bodger wrote:

Yes nightime is more productive around an hour before high / low water and in my neck of the woods after a strong northerly and a big sea. Another shiney thing worth mentioning is a tip light , this is a small light attached to the end of the rod that enables you to see when you have a bite, a word of advice however be sure the shock leader hasn't looped around the tip light when you're about to cast cos you might snap the rod tip.Dont ask me how I know this!! Magnet

How do you know that Magnet ? Laughing

Very good summary there Magnet.
floorlord

I know this is an old post, but has anything happened towards a shore fishing guide?

Yesterday I walked out of Go Outdoors with a sea fishing kit (Matthew Hayes TF Gear Sea Fishing Kit with 12' TFGear sea rod, TFGear static reel, 4 bomb weights and 4 assorted rigs. No specs such as to line strength, how to work the reel, etc etc. Two of the rigs have 3 small(er) hooks each and two have 2 large(r) hooks each. But the guide included was for their carp fishing kit from the same range. Shocked

Nothing helpful on the TFGear web site. I don't know how to fix the lead weights or the rigs to the line, no idea whether to add anything other than bait. Don't really know why I bought the kit. Rolling Eyes

But I'm really looking forward to trying it out from a beach or rock above or below Scarborough in a couple of weeks time. So if anyone can point me to a site, book or downloadable article to get me started it would be a great help. Very Happy

So far I've picked up the idea of bait elastic from this thread, a bit about where to try and cast from by reading various bits and pieces around the web and about not getting cut off when fishing at low tide.

TIA, Mike
Jamanda

Its already been done Wink
floorlord

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Have you followed Dewsphine's link, Jamanda? It had me in stitches but aimed at beginners to teach them how to fish it ain't!
Jamanda

Have you followed Dewsphine's link, Jamanda? It had me in stitches but aimed at beginners to teach them how to fish it ain't!

Only vaguely. I sort of assumed Drew knew what he was talking about Rolling Eyes
Jamanda

I'd love to be proved wrong, but I can't think of anyone who's situated to write such an article. Drewsephine could, but he's in a submarine most of the time. 12Bore

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing floorlord

I think I'm half way there. I was reading the Where can I learn to fish? thread and ziggy searchfield has put some great links in there as well as reading the advice on both this and that thread. Thanks to all and especially to Boris for starting that thread. Northern Boy

I am all for experiential learning, but for a complete beginner it helps enormously to go with someone who knows the ropes and is willing to help.

If you have ask/look on the Worldseafishing forums, particularly the catch reports in your area, you will find usually find some friendly folk willing to help.

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/forum.php
Drewsephine

Only vaguely. I sort of assumed Drew knew what he was talking about Rolling Eyes

Assuming I know anything is always a dodgy move. However I might have a bit more time on my hands soon which will be all good. Also if people wanna go out fishing, PM me and I'll see what I can arrange. Will have a look at writing a guide soon.
Jamanda

Good stuff! Are you on dry land at the moment then? Drewsephine

Sort of
See this thread. However I'll still have to go to sea when its time to bring out the next Astute class boat.
Nicky Colour it green

I'd love and article on fishing from the shore - I used to fish, but I have vowed not to go to sea again.. due to sea sickness.. floorlord

Thanks, Northern Boy. Worldseafishing.com is one of the links ziggy searchfield put in, too, but he didn't mention their forum. I'll try it.

Where are you when not at sea, Drew? Anywhere near the Yorkshire coast? I'd like to take you up on your offer but that's as far as I can get over the next couple of months. Too many things going on to be able to get away for more than a few days at a time so distance travelling isn't very practical.

Any other would-be learners within striking distance of Scarborough, Brid-Flamborough or Whitby so we could have a crack at this fishing malarky together? Like, er, copy each others' mistakes? Shocked
Drewsephine

it looks like youre on the wrong side of the country for me.
Im at barrow in furness at the mo.
floorlord

OK. I'll pop over to Fleetwood and wave. Wink carlseawolf

for diffrent rigs try this PDF file,

http://www.planetseafishing.com/downloads/psf-book-of-rigs.pdf
floorlord

Thanks, carlseawolf. Already got that PDF but it doesn't mean I don't appreciate the effort. Can't remember where I got the link. Either somewhere here or on the worldseafishing.com forum, probably . That's been a brilliant help. Believe me, I needed help to start with. Embarassed

Couldn't tie a knot. Couldn't put the line out and make the reel work. Couldn't cast. Seriously, first time I tried had there been anyone standing to my right I'd have done them a very serious injury with a 4oz piece of lead flying fast through the air!

"What's a rig ffs?" and "What's a snood ffs?" were typical thoughts when I started reading the threads. The wsf site has been great, just reading the threads has taught me tons. The members aren't afraid to put links in to helpful articles and threads on other sites if it suits the topic. The articles and blogs are very seriously well informed, mostly very well written and worth taking heed of. Superb tutorials too.

I'm catching my own peelers, lug and rag now. Prawns soon, too, when I get my bike-wheel drop net together!

No car, nowhere near the coast and camping when I go means weight is a serious issue, so improvisation is a must. That requires thinking and learning fast. It's working. Cool

So far all of my knots have held, even in hard snagging such as weed and rocks. That has been the biggest surprise of all. By dint of a little bit of sideways rod movement and gentle tugging, so far I haven't lost so much as a lead rigged for a rotten bottom (two or three weeks ago I didn't even understand the term).

So tomorrow I'm off to Scarborough to dig for rag and lug worms. At low tide I'll try my casting skills, 100+ yards in a field, more importantly it's in my intended direction within 5-10 degrees, but not tried on a beach or a rock yet. Found a great online tutorial for casting, shout and I'll post it if interested. I haven't even tried for distance yet, just trying to make sure the bait stays on and the direction is accurate. Mackerel will be the target, spinning with feathers (two more terms I had to look up).

If there's time after that I'll try and drop a line off the pier towards high tide, or move on towards Cayton Bay and try off a sea wall, first for bass on a free line with a mackerel head and guts, then (whether that works or not) for grey mullet with either bread or a flowing trace rig.

Hey, folks, hope this hasn't been too boring for you. For me it's interesting to go through how far I've got in so little time and thinking about the stages that it took. So thanks for posting, carlseawolf, and prompting the forum email to remind me where I started from. Here.

Let me know if you're interested in further developments. Here for all to see or PM, I don't mind whether you're shy or not. Then I'll either give you reports or put in links to where I've reported, as it goes along.

Seriously thinking of starting my own site/blog next year so I'm watching copyright too. How much does what I post here (and on other sites) become the IP of other people/organisations? Got a great camera now and the photographic evidence is just knockout. Been so busy learning to fish that the other aspects of foraging and small garden self-sufficiency are taking a back seat but that is, I promise, just while I go through the very early learning stages.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home