Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Fee

Bedroom and clothes cupboards sort-out *gulp*

We have just spent the morning downsizing our clothes!!!

So far, before all the clothes that were thrown in the wash are washed too, we have:

- 5 bags of decent clothes for charity (those bags they repeatedly put through the door have a use after all!);
- 2 bin bags of textiles for recycling ;
- 1 bag of rubbish (mostly off our bedroom floor and under the bed escapees!);
- 1 large monsoon bag of clothes for my Auntie

We've been really ruthless (even with jumpers), and very little that we don't wear/fit into have gone back into the cupboards and drawers. Things with memories attached mostly Wink

And we could probably do the same again if we're honest, and may well do once it's all washed, nothing's going back in the drawers without thinking about it...not sure what's lurking at the bottom of our washing basket(s) Embarassed

I feel thoroughly ashamed of the amount of clothes we have, it really is disgraceful. I think there must be about 2 bags going to charity that are full of things my Mum's bought us, mind! Rolling Eyes

Only one evening dress going out, and that's been bagsied by my Auntie Smile

It did make me wonder how many clothes I would have had if I'd kept up the pace of my old shopping habits (pre-25 years!), which is where a lot of them are from.

edit: Paul reminded me about the - 1 large monsoon bag of clothes for my Auntie Smile
Barefoot Andrew

Blimey, have you actually got any clothes left? Laughing
A.
Fee

Yes Embarassed
Nick

You don't really need to keep those tutus, either, do you?
Fee

Nick wrote:
You don't really need to keep those tutus, either, do you?

I only have one tutu Wink
wellington womble

I always feel this. I wear my uniform and my jeans 98 percent of the time. But for the other two percent, a girl needs variety. I probably only wear a dress enough to warrant having one, but I can't wear the same one to a wedding, a ball, a girls night out, a formal dinner, a gallery opening, a baptism and garden party, because the same dress wouldn't be appropriate for all of them. So if I chucked most of my dresses, I'd end up buying more sooner or later.

I reckon a wardrobe full of clothes you wear most of only occasionally is much better than being confronted with the horror of a shopping trip everytime a social occasion lurks in your future.
Fee

Totally agree, the bags are full of clothes I haven't worn in at least 5 or 6 years.

As for dresses, I do have a bit of a problem there, I find it very easy to justify a new dress for many occasions now that I rarely buy new clothes. But I also wear them more than once, a few are pretty scrappy now but I'll still wear them, might be time to do some sprucing up on some too.
frewen

I have to go to a wedding reception tonight - and I am struggling with my meagre wardrobe to find something to wear - jeans and a boho top just won't cut it I don't think Laughing

I can put all my clothes into one bin bag, but that's mostly because my wardrobe is stuffed with bags of fleece Embarassed
wellington womble

That's a brilliant idea. I am going to fill my wardrobe with yarn, and chuck out all my clothes. Yay!
frewen

Works for me Laughing
toggle

i might try that.
Barefoot Andrew

Frewen wrote:
I have to go to a wedding reception tonight

Properly posh dos might thwart my plan, but generally if anyone wants me at a party they'll take me as they find me! That's probably why the party invites don't flood in Laughing
A.
earthyvirgo

Don't you find tho' (this is to everyone not just Fee), that however many clothes you have, it's the same favourites you put on week in week out ... or is it just me?

I still have a 'fave' dress which I had in college (oh, go on then, about 20 yrs ago) and it was an Oxfam buy then!

EV
lettucewoman

I have several sizes of clothes...my "thin" clothes, my "getting bigger" clothes and my "oh my god how big are you???!!!" clothes (which are the only ones i can fit into ATM Embarassed )

I dont buy a lot but I still seem to have loads...I can't bear to chuck out the thin clothes cos that means ive given up ever fitting back into them Sad

I haven;t got room for them all though...so I am inspired to go and sort them out asap...you are right its no good hanging on to stuff you never wear, or only very rarely....
12Bore

Had to go to work in jeans this morning then nip out to buy new trousers cos I split my others yesterday Embarassed Why do "smart" trousers always have to be at least 1 size larger than jeans? And are shops using metric inches cos I seem to need more of them these days!
Ren

I have tons of clothes:
some too big, some too small,
some for sporty activities (don't do many of them but am thinking of continuing the biking)
some smartish for work
casual out of work wear
allotment gear
smart out of work wear
and total slobbies
Oh yeah and those that need fixing altering or remaking!

Maybe we could have a communal 'occasion' wear section?

Looking at that list I need to cut down, but if I keep the ones that fit, I can continue with my buy nothing new clothes wise....

I probably need help!
LynneA

Last weekend, Howard finally plucked up the courage to try on his winter jumpers dating back up to ten years to see if any still fitted him.

There are now two blue Ikea bags full of clothes ready to go to Oxfam.
Azura Skye

eurgh my wardrobe and clothes are the bane of my life!
Going out is so annoying as I have to critically analyze everything and ask myself hmm, what can I wear that can hide my pregnant sized belly? lol - and I'm not preggers !
I currently have a huge amount of clothes, it's disgraceful! And I only really wear a few items.
the only items that get worn all the time are my scrappy around the garden and house clothes that I have kind of started wearing out and about.
Grrr clothes and my belly make me angry lol : )
lettucewoman

Azura Skye wrote:
eurgh my wardrobe and clothes are the bane of my life!
Going out is so annoying as I have to critically analyze everything and ask myself hmm, what can I wear that can hide my pregnant sized belly? lol - and I'm not preggers !
I currently have a huge amount of clothes, it's disgraceful! And I only really wear a few items.
the only items that get worn all the time are my scrappy around the garden and house clothes that I have kind of started wearing out and about.
Grrr clothes and my belly make me angry lol : )

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked you are GORGEOUS what ARE you on about??? you could go out in a bin bag and have everyone looking at the so stylish woman!!!
toggle

azura sky: proof that even those whom most of us dream about looking as good as, are unhappy with themselves.
alice

I wish I could just live in my pyjamas.
Azura Skye

alice wrote:

I second that Smile

over the last year my tummy has grown so large as to render half my wardrobe unwearable. What a pain! I really don't like wearing things and having to look pregnant. and now my boobs have grown too. Man, you think that second plateful of dinner is so innocent, little realising that oxfam would benefit from it and you'd be a wardrobe poorer after ; )
Sherbs

alice wrote:

me too

I have lots of clothes mainly because I'm such a sucker for odd looking things I find in charity shops. These days I try and restrict myself to buying things for Ari.

We seem to have regular clear outs, everytime Ari has a gowth spurt and I have to get rid of a load of her old stuff, some of mine goes with it. This was I have just about managed to keep it from expanding at an unmanageable rate.
wellington womble

earthyvirgo wrote:
Don't you find tho' (this is to everyone not just Fee), that however many clothes you have, it's the same favourites you put on week in week out ... or is it just me?

For the everyday stuff, most of the time, yep, absolutely. But not for occasionwear. And I quite like dressing up. Yet more proof that I should get more, I suspect!
Fee

earthyvirgo wrote:

Yep! I was really good and put even quite new clothes in the charity pile if I didn't wear them, the way I put it to Paul with his t-shirt drawer was that if it's a t-shirt that when you open your drawer you go, "hmm, wonder what's in the washing pile" instead of wearing it, then it should go.

Pyjamas are my friends love2

@Azura Skye - what LW said! Smile
otatop

I have regular sorting sessions, but I tend to hang on to the greyish t-shirts and shrunken sweaters because I can wear them for dog-walking. And there are a couple of dresses that I know in my heart of hearts I'll never wear again, but ......
toggle

did the kids wardrobes today, checked all clothes for all 3 offspring. i now have a small mountain of outgrown clothes.
Sherbs

when we were kids there was a lot of passing down of clothes. I have 3 brothers and my mum hit on a system of labelling stuff that was easy to confuse, like underwear.

The smallest was labelled 1
The next up in size labelled 2
The largest labelled 3

Then as the number 3's were outgrown an passed down the line, they were replaced by larger number 4's . . and so on as everyone grew.

I still remember helping sort underpants into numbered piles

Smile
Fee

I like that Smile We did hand-me-downs too.
Dogwalker

If my youngest ever lost school uniform at juniors and I went to the office to check the lost property box I was asked if it was labelled. Well maybe his brother's, sister's or 4 or 5 different friends names on it but never his. I'd given up naming stuff by then it still got lost. and how many names can you write inside the tops of wellies.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home