Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
sgt.colon

Bee careful

I was hoping someone could answer a question for me.

I have always thought that bees could not be kept in a residential area due to the possibility of people getting stung. Now I was talking to my mum the other night and she said that the government are encouraging people to keep bees wherever they can.

Is this true? might I at last be able to keep bees?

Thanks Smile
match

In most places there are no legal restrictions on beekeeping - but obviously there might be if you're in rented property, on shared land or on an allotment.

Having said that, you are best to do a few things before keeping bees in a residential area:

Talk to all your neighbours first - its safer in the long run to have them on side, and well-educated about bees and the risks, than to have a paranoid and angry mum panicking about killer bees attacking her children Mad If possible, by some spare beesuits and invite neighbours over to see them when you have them, and keep them happy with jars of honey. Smile

Try and site your bees at least 25-50ft away from anywhere where people are regularly moving around to reduce the risk of stings. Put up soft barriers around the hives to a height of 6-8 feet, to encourage the bees to fly over people's heads, rather than into them.

Make sure you know the lineage of the bees you are planning to get - make sure they are 'calm' bees. Also be aware that even the calmest of bees will have bad days, and that you might have to be willing to not do inspections on lovely sunny days when your neighbours are out enjoying their gardens.

Make sure you get insurance, either through your local association, or independently. While its hard to prove that a bee sting resulted from your bees, you still might face legal action from an angry neighbour at some point.

Finally, if you can't find a suitable site on your own land, ask around - I know of many people keeping bees in other people's gardens, on the edge of farms, or in grounds of hospitals and other large areas of land - with the general presence of bees in the media, most people are happy to give up a corner of land to help nature, especially if there's the prospect of free honey at the end of it!

But if you can keep bees, then do! Its an amazingly fulfilling and rewarding hobby Very Happy[/i]
Tavascarow

Can't really add much to that apart from if any of your near neighbours are allergic to bee venom I would be very wary (by allergic I mean goes into anaphylactic shock not the normal swelling).
& you will need to be much more vigilant about swarm control than someone with bees in an open space.
The general public are unaware of how docile a swarm is & the sight of 10,000 bees hanging in their garden or flying towards them will make you enemies not friends.
chez

A friend of ours keeps two hives in his small suburban garden in London. He has them surrounded with netting so they get 'up and out' and don't zoom across his neighbour's garden's whilst they are gaining height.
sgt.colon

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated. I'll first go and have a chat to our neighbours and see what they think of the idea. Then if all ok, off on a course.

Thanks Smile
chez

Good luck!

Our friend is also doing a great line in selling cut-comb honey to his neighbours Wink
beean

One other tip, if you do keep bees in a garden, is put a good water source on your own land, particualrly if next door has a pond!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home