Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
bettywobble

bee keeping for idiots?

just doing a bit of research for something we may like to do in the future...but how do you start keeping bees? where do you get them? would a local bee keeper be a good place to start with finding out all it entails? when is the right time of year to start? what kind of set up do you need? sorry for the probably laughable questions, but as you can tell, I have no idea where to start.
jamanda

There's lots of books available, but this is good place to start.

And have a look at the BBKA website. You will be able to find your local branch which will probably do beginners courses.
vegplot

Re: bee keeping for idiots?

bettywobble wrote:
sorry for the probably laughable questions

Don't apologise I don't have a clue either. There are a number of bee keepers on this site who'll be able to add something constructive very soon.
Tavascarow

If you want the cheapest way then go here & download Phils free plans to build a top bar hive.
If you know absolutely nothing about beekeeping his book wouldn't go amiss either but it's not free like the plans.
Using conventional framed hives like most beekeepers use, even if you buy secondhand will leave your wallet a lot lighter as buying a hive is just the start.
All the ancillary equipment you will need will cost a lot more.
Saying all of that most local beekeeping associations run courses for begginers that will invariably use conventional equipment but no harm in getting some practical experience from them & then still using a top bar hive yourself.
The BBKA should have links or contact details for your local association.
You can buy a nucleus of bees (a small colony with a laying queen) from many places, some will be better than others & the highest prices wont necessarily mean the best bees.
If you make friends with other beekeepers in your area you may be able to get a swarm, nucleus or even a full colony for little or no money.
Most beekeepers are keen to encourge new beekeepers & happy to get them on the road.
& their bees will hopefully be gentle & productive
Also you could put up bait hives in areas you might think bees can be found, near someone elses apiary is always good but maybe not the best way to make friends Wink
If you are lucky enough to trap a swarm you then transfer them to your hive.
Although the cheapest option by far the bees will be from an unknown source so not necessarily the best bees for a beginner.
It's a big subject but fascinating.
Good luck.
Very Happy
Gilbert Jessop

Not laughable questions at all...my beekeeping, on the other hand, now that is laughable!
I'd do as Jamanda suggests and see if there are any courses run by your local association going on. They will also give you the chance to stick your head in a hive without having to buy any clobber and see what you feel about it, as well as provide some good sources for bees as and when you get to that point. Chances are your local Association will also have some kit to borrow too, which will be handy later on, and I've found having really experienced beekeepers around when I run into trouble invaluable.

Hope that's helpful - and good luck!
bettywobble

Thanks for all your great replies, I have found out who our local bee keeper is and I am going to see him at the weekend, so I will let you know how I get on!
MSER

Oh this is what I have come on here to find out about - is there any update please?

Oh wonderful, following those links Ive found a local college has a bee keeping for beginners day in a few weeks time AND they run a 10 week evening class for beginners.
Dogwalker

Hello MSER,
I'm hoping to get bees this year, went on a day course organised by the local BKA yesterday, really worth joining your local group.
Where in the country are you?
MSER

Im in Norfolk. The thing that worries me slightly is that we have a nature hating neighbour from hell one side - I wonder if bees cause a prob with neighbours like that.

We have a 400 ft x 45 ft garden, pond, high hedges and trees all round and face south west.

Im going tomorrow to see a chap the other end of the town who keeps a hive, just to get a basic understanding.

Keep up to date with your experiences aswell on here Smile

Oh, and from my reading on the net, Im rather more interested in the "top bar" ? method which sounds much more natural and better for the bees, not to mention, less complicated for me.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home