Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
gardening-girl

Bee suits.

Who was it who made one?
Dogwalker

Don't know, but I adapted a boilersuit/overalls.

Just put in zips down the front and the pockets, as long as the bees can't get in it doesn't need anything fancy.
Cathryn

I did the same. A large blue zip up suit from an Army and Navy (6!)that I attached a bought hood to with a zip. It is comfortable and so far has worked well.
gardening-girl

Good tips,thank you.
Price for ready made is out of my price range.
Chickem

This Bee suit would look quite fetching on you Wink

http://www.boohoo.com/restofworld/invt/azz54262/
gardening-girl

Sadly,not in my size Laughing Laughing
Lorrainelovesplants

You can get half decent ones on ebay for around 45 with a built in stand off face-guard.
joanne

If you do get a boiler suit make sure it's a heavy duty one because otherwise stings can get through the fabric as I've discovered to my discomfort in the past

Personally, if you can fit in one (which I couldn't at the time) I'd go for something like this off eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beekeepers-Bee-suit-and-Gloves-All-sizes-/251182652529?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Bee_Keeping&var=&hash=item3a7ba71c71

It's definitely worth the extra 20 or so to make sure you are properly protected and if you find you don't like beekeeping - there is a decent market in 2nd hand suits
Cathryn

I agree. My boiler suit is very thick smooth material. I know I could have made the hood but it seemed very fiddly and worth buying it. Make sure none of it rests against your face.
Lorrainelovesplants

The link to the bee suit & gloves is good value.

Id rather be protected properly, and as Joanne says you can always resell well.

I have 5 suits (I teach beekeeping) and would never use a boiler suit.
If you do decide to opt for a suit, think about the size. I am 5ft 7 but rather than a medium, I go for a large. I find the medium tight when Im bending or lifting, and looser still means protected.
Cathryn

I would never buy a bee suit without checking the quality. Some are very poorly made and badly designed. Talk to people in your association. There are shows starting soon where you can buy good suits with good discounts.
gardening-girl

Yes, I was wondering about sizing.
I have a large bum/boobs, and I`m 5ft 6" so would need large,even though in theory medium would do.
joanne

Large means when you bend down to pick up a super full of honey - you don't cut yourself in half, also when it's really hot (if that ever happens again) and your bee's decide to swarm there is enough room in your beesuit that you don't melt Smile

I'm not going to bother explaining how I know theses things Smile
gardening-girl

Wink Wink
Sally Too

This Bee suit would look quite fetching on you Wink

http://www.boohoo.com/restofworld/invt/azz54262/

LOVE IT! Razz
mochasidamo

Hmm...the only suits I use are microfibre. On a dodgy sort of day a thick shirt underneath. On a hot day, straight out the washing machine with a t-shirt and thin trousers under. Cool Wink

We have a friend in town who can make/repair veils. Barter for keeping an eye on her man and his beekeeping (urban small garden with emergency out apiary).
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home