Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
misty07

beeswax

I have got a plywood made ferret box I use when I go out ferreting. Question is what are the ways I can use beeswax as looking to get the bar form of it. Would it make it waterproof how would I apply it is it as simple as rubbing it on the wood? Inside and out? Cheer's in advance matty.
dpack

melting the wax and adding natural turpentine is the usual way to make a wood dressing

however it might make the ferret smelly in a non ferrety way or "blind"it's sense of smell which could be an issue if rabbiting

perhaps rubbing the wax onto the wood like a crayon and then melting it into the wood with a hair dryer or similar would be less smelly
Tavascarow

melting the wax and adding natural turpentine is the usual way to make a wood dressing

however it might make the ferret smelly in a non ferrety way or "blind"it's sense of smell which could be an issue if rabbiting

perhaps rubbing the wax onto the wood like a crayon and then melting it into the wood with a hair dryer or similar would be less smelly

I agree.
From memory I think I used about 5% beeswax to hot turps.
Don't do it indoors as the turps can ignite during warming.
I used a camping gas stove & a double pan (wax/turps in one tin inside a pot of heating water).
Apply with brush to the wood whilst hot & it soaks in more.
I did this to the outside of a top bar hive three years ago & it's still fine.
But like Dpack says the smell of the turps will take a long time to dissipate.
tahir

what about linseed? I think a melting the beeswax in any veg oil will work
Ty Gwyn

what about linseed? I think a melting the beeswax in any veg oil will work

I would say linseed oil would be better suited for the job in question.
Tavascarow

I would think linseed would take a lot longer for the smell to go.
Linseed is an oil, turps is a spirit & more volatile.
Haven't tried linseed so only guessing.
12Bore

40:1 Linseed:Beeswax, is, I believe the "magic ratio". misty07

Cheer's people next to find some local beeswax . Would the wax and oil not like sort of not mix together sort of like in a magnet way Mistress Rose

Try anywhere that has a 'honey for sale' sign out, your local beekeeping association, or your local farmers market. Anyone that sells honey will either have wax, or know someone that has. I have never tried beeswax with linseed oil, as I can't stand the smell of linseed, but have successfully made beeswax polish using turpentine. For anyone wanting to make beeswax polish for the house, some carnuba wax added helps to produce a good shine, and always heat wax and any solvent in a water bath. 12Bore

Carefully heat the oil in a tin in a bath of water over heat, melt the wax into the oil and stir, the two will combine at the right temp.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home