Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
farmwoody

Bel yoghurt maker

I've just bought a bel yoghurt maker from our charity shop. Its years since I last used one of these and this one doesnt have any instructions!
Has anyone got one? How much yog/starter should I put into each jar and how long does it take?
Thanks in advance.
ButteryHOLsomeness

i just so happen to have one of these that i inheirited from the last flat we were in (wasn't on the inventory so the landlord said i could keep it Very Happy )

did yours come with the thermometre? if not i'm sure you can find one to use...

anyway heres' what you need

Pasteurised Milks:

Pour 1 litre milk into a saucepan, bring it right up to the biling point (100C when the milk rises in the pan)

remove from heat, place the BEL thermometre in the pan and allow to cool until the temperature reaches the top mark of 50C

place one dessertspoonful of live natural yogurt into the white yogurt container and pour in a small amount of heated milk mix thoroughly

pour the remaning heated milk into the container stirring as you do so to ensure even dispersion of the yeast culture

place the lid back on, put the container inside the insulated flask. check the room temperature with your BEL thermometre by placing it next to your yogurt maker. if the temp is around the lower mark (20C) yogging will be finished in about 3-5 hours. With cooler temps it will take longer. If the kitchen temp is below 17C place a folded dish towel around the yogurt maker to retain heat.

when the yogging is complete place the container on the milk shelf in your refrigerator where it will keep for up to a week

PS don't forget to keep a few tablespoons aside for the next batch Wink

Simon, this has some more tips about other milks, adding sweetenings etc and some recipes. if you pm me with your address i'll photocopy this for you (i have a copier) and post it off to you Very Happy

please keep us up to date on how it goes, i haven't used mine yet Embarassed
farmwoody

Wow thankyou so much for that quick response! Trouble is mine is the one with six small jars that sit on a plug in base!
Anyone got one?
tahir

Never used a yog maker but my mum uses a couple of tablespoons for a couple of pints so I reckon a teaspoon per pot will be more than enough
ButteryHOLsomeness

farmwoody wrote:
Wow thankyou so much for that quick response! Trouble is mine is the one with six small jars that sit on a plug in base!
Anyone got one?

we had one of those a long time ago. you should be able to use the same basic instructions for geting the yogging started and pour the mix into the cups instead of the container. then plug it in and it should keep it warm

also you could try a batch just mixing the yogurt and the milk and putting it straight in and turning it on. see which one works best...

good luck!
judith

I had one of those with the six jars about a million years ago Very Happy. If I remember rightly, it required one teaspoon of yoghurt, topped up with milk. You didn't have to stir or anything.
thos

For some strange reason, simple unadulterated yoghurt (pasteurised milk plus bacteria) is much cheaper than milk. Yoghurt is 85 cents per Kg (the same size container as 1L of milk) against €1.03 or €1.15 per litre for milk. The closest fresh milk (and this yoghurt) is at a supermarket 10 km away.

It goes very nicely with fresh fruits (not as nicely as cream, but much better for the wasteline). If we get a sufficient crop, I plan to bottle fruit to mix with bought yoghurt when the fruit season finishes.

Plans are:
strawberries
raspberries
damsons
blackberries (wild)

and bought: apples and pears.

We had one of these years ago, and I think we just mixed one yogurt from the last batch with a pint or so of milk - enough to fill all the pots, and then filled the pots and cooked overnight.

we may have added some dried skimmed milk powder too, to get a good texture.
Nanny

bel yoghurt maker

i think i had one and i remember that i used to buy a yoghurt culture from a health food shop and i am fairly certain that i used evaporated milk reconstitued with water and then mixed the culture in. cooked it overnight and used a spoonful for the next lot.
jema

I'll be awkward here and say chuck the yoghurt maker, just get a big thermos, pour the mix in that, then pour out the yoghurt 4 hours later. No power no fuss....
ButteryHOLsomeness

jema

that's essentially what my bel yogurt maker is (i have a different style) but mine comes with instructions and a thermometre so that makes it fancy Laughing
Róisín

I really want to give the yogurt a try but don't have a thermometer. Do I *really* need to buy one? If so, am thinking eBay... but would the therm. have a special name or anything?
judith

No. You really don't need one. If you put a bit of live yoghurt into warm milk and keep it warm it will work.
jema

Boil milk check it is blood temp with finger, bung in flask with bit of live yoghuer ... yoghurt.

Do you think I can make a long article out of that?
Róisín

Thanks a million. I've been reading recipes where it says that if you let it fall below 105degrees the culture 'sleeps'; over 110degrees and it dies. Rolling Eyes

Yes! I think you could make an article out of yogurtmaking without all the faffy fancy bits, like thermometers and insulatingwhathaveyous. And then how to flavour it or cook with it etc. Very Happy
jema

Róisín wrote:
Thanks a million. I've been reading recipes where it says that if you let it fall below 105degrees the culture 'sleeps'; over 110degrees and it dies. Rolling Eyes

Yes! I think you could make an article out of yogurtmaking without all the faffy fancy bits, like thermometers and insulatingwhathaveyous. And then how to flavour it or cook with it etc. Very Happy

Laughing 105-110 those Yak herders must have been a clever lot to make yoghurt work.

I don't know what the real working range is, but i'd guess it must be 10-15 at least.
Bugs

A yoghurt making article is going up tonight! But there will be room for discussion, additions and followups...
culpepper

Ive got both kinds.The 5 pots in a plug in thingy and the open mouthed flask watzit.I heat up 25 fl oz of UHT for 2 1/2 mins on full power in the microwave and then stir it,then add 1 teaspoon of plain yoghurt and mix so its dispersed then pour in. For the plug in one,just plug in.For the flask kind,just pour in and leave for between 4 and 6 hours undisturbed. The flask one is all plastic and can go in the fridge when cool.
jema

As a point of coincidence I have just (with finger crossed) poured my new batch from a flask. It was done in standard fashion, let the milk boil, let it cool, forget its there, go back realise it's too cold, reheat a bit, bung in flask.
Róisín

Bugs wrote:
A yoghurt making article is going up tonight! But there will be room for discussion, additions and followups...

Ah, I love this site! *sighs happily* Very Happy Very Happy

the article inspired me to create my own yoghurt- have just woke up to fresh home made yoghurt...thanks!

now, how about an article on how to make cheese?!
ross.

culpepper wrote:
Ive got both kinds.The 5 pots in a plug in thingy and the open mouthed flask watzit.I heat up 25 fl oz of UHT for 2 1/2 mins on full power in the microwave and then stir it,then add 1 teaspoon of plain yoghurt and mix so its dispersed then pour in. For the plug in one,just plug in.For the flask kind,just pour in and leave for between 4 and 6 hours undisturbed. The flask one is all plastic and can go in the fridge when cool.

Can I use any old milk? And any starter yoghurt? I too have just bought a bel one with the pots from e-bay but minus instructions!
tahir

Yup, should be no problems
nora

Pink bouncy - thanks for your yoghurt making article, it's inspired me to make some and my first batch has turned out beautifully, your instructions and photos made it look easy, and it was.
pink bouncy

It's very nice of you to say so Nora. Very Happy You're very welcome.
Shades

Hi

These yogurt makers are far easier than the posters make out

Take a litre "Full cream UHT" & One small natural Yogurt (slightlty smaller then the Bel pots you have) mix all together (with wooden spoon) fill each of teh six pots, now leave for six hours and then check (tilt maker slightly) if firmish place in fridge for hour or so and eat, if not give another hour and repeate

First batch may take longer so dont worry, if maker is warm to verywarm to the touch it working

Second batch is made with one of the first batch so will set sooner, if you want to make a lot dont chill the donar from first batch just mixer it into the next litre of milk

If you use non-UHT it may need a warm before mixing, but yogurt from non-UHT will become tangy (read bitter) far sooner than UHT made yogurt
jema

Welcome to the site Smile

I think people on the thread are in the main pointing out yogurt is easy even without a yogurt maker.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home