Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Mutton

Benefits of rooflights

Thought this might be of interest

http://www.buildingtalk.com/building-products-and-structures-/roofs-/rooflights-and-roof-windows-/how-rooflights-can-offer-energy-savings-and-carbon-reductions/411436.article?dm_i=8TT,3M0GS,DXILOY,CZ66X,1
Lorrainelovesplants

We have rooflights in our garden room. This used to be a totally glass conservatory - homebuilt by the previous owners - leaky, hot in summer, cold in winter. We have only put double glazed windows and doors up from 3 meters, insulated and solid roof with rooflights. Dont need lights on at all till quite late, 1 rad - much better very useable space. The rooms heats in winter with low sun coming in, but is cool in high summer with solid roof.
Woo

We have them in the third floor of our barn conversion.
I can attest to the abundant sunlight from first light till last.
we have also found they warm the room very effectively. a little too well today and I had to close the blinds.
(There is an added bonus too as I have our bed beneath one of them. I get to look at the stars while I drop off!)
It made sense to us to use as much of the natural light as possible, im glad the boffins agree after the effort it took to get the 1m2 glass into position on them all! Shocked
dpack

ace things so long as the upstand is watertight Wink
Mistress Rose

I have worked in factories where there were rooflights on the south side of each ridge in the roof, and no way of either opening them or putting up blinds, and I wouldn't recommend it for summer. Far too hot. On the other hand, we have Velux windows in our upstairs bathroom and landing, and they are brilliant. We have blinds to cover them on cold winter nights, and they can be opened in summer, so we can regulate the temperature but have the light in both rooms. The one on the landing lights the stairs and hall down below, which is an entirely enclosed room, too.
Falstaff

I have worked in factories where there were rooflights on the south side of each ridge in the roof, and no way of either opening them or putting up blinds, and I wouldn't recommend it for summer....................

There was a methods of construction when I was a student 40 years ago called "North Light trusses" Wink
Mistress Rose

I think that factory was built either just pre or post WWII, which is why they thought getting as much light in as possible was a good idea I suppose. Made it very uncomfortable to work in.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home