Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
alexmoore1989

Berry IDs needed please

Hi i am a bit of a novice when it comes to berries and i find myself eyeing up every fruiting tree i walk by. Please could you help my curiosity by ID-ing these two for me?

image upload
hedgehogpie

I'd say Cherry Laurel for the top pic, but the bottom one requires me to go look in some books as it's vaguely familar but I can't quite place it.
Rosemary Judy

I don't think either are edible, as I don't recognise the second. Agree with cherry laurel for the first....
Treacodactyl

I wouldn't risk eating cherry laurel unless I had to but this is worth a read: http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Prunus+laurocerasus
mochyn

Yup: top one is Prunus laurocerasus.

Bottom one looks like a Prunus of some sort, but not sure which one.
johnc

Bottom one looks like Bird Cherry, if it is, it is edible but very sour
Treacodactyl

Bottom one doesn't look like bird cherry, Padus racemosa, to me. Bird cherry has smaller fruits and they are on bunches like the laurel. It does look like some sort of cherry but with damson/plum fruit.
alexmoore1989

hello and thanks for all your comments, the tree of the bottom pic also has some sort of red cotton like flower. sort of resembles candy floss
hedgehogpie

Any chance you could cut one of the fruits in half to see what the seeds are like?

I have friends in France who tell me that their neighbour uses cherry laurel fruits steeped in Brandy as an aperatif.
dpack

Any chance you could cut one of the fruits in half to see what the seeds are like?

I have friends in France who tell me that their neighbour uses cherry laurel fruits steeped in Brandy as an aperatif.

organic cyanides are so bracing Shocked
hedgehogpie

Indeed! Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home