Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Hairyloon

Bespoke boots.

This may not be the right forum to post this, but I think it will do for now...

A thought occurred to me this week which was that the main difficulty with getting a bespoke boot was that you need to make a model of the individual foot to make the boot around.
These days, it is simplicity itself to make such a model: just stick the foot in a 3d scanner and print it off.
Developing the idea, I thought that if we had a portfolio of cobblers, the customer could come in, have their feet scanned and sent to their chosen cobbler to have them made...

That's about as far as I'd got with that idea. I don't think it is one that I'll run with by myself...
mousjoos

"Portfolio of cobblers" may not be the most attractive working title
Hairyloon

A portfolio of potential podiatric product producers?
mousjoos

why not ? if you can appeal to practitoners of alliteration
Hairyloon

why not ? if you can appeal to practitoners of alliteration

Surely artisans are preferable to practitioners? Wink
kGarden

I'm having some bespoke shoes made; my feet are short and wide and I've never fitted off-the-peg shoes well, so I thought I'd got to the stage in life where I might treat myself - hopefully going to kick myself that I should have done it decades ago ...

Company I have gone to don't make a last, per se, they use standard lasts that are somewhat adjustable. That means there is little cost in making the last, compared to full-blown bespoke-last cobblers, and the shoes I am having made are about the same price as a high-end off-the-shelf brand.

Haven't had them yet, so can't tell you if they will be any good or not, but the factory unit had a heck of a lot of shoes stacked up, so they have plenty of work.

The owner is a bit of a computer buff so I will have a chat with him when I collect them and report back. Seems to me 3D scanner and 3D printer might do the trick?
Nick

A 3D scanner might help. 3D printer would make you crocs.
Hairyloon

The printer is to make the last around which you make the boot.
Jamanda

It takes about 1/2 hour to get your measurements taken at somewhere like http://chuckleshoes.co.uk/ . I'm sure similar establishments exist else where. I'm all for technology, but it strikes me that humans are actually pretty good at some stuff. Nick

Ah. It's been a long day. I didn't see my bed til 3am.
Hairyloon

Ah. It's been a long day. I didn't see my bed til 3am.
3am on New Years night?
Lightweight. Wink
Hairyloon

It takes about 1/2 hour to get your measurements taken at somewhere like http://chuckleshoes.co.uk/ . I'm sure similar establishments exist else where. I'm all for technology, but it strikes me that humans are actually pretty good at some stuff.
I was about to say "yeah, but how much do they cost?", but then I found the price list: surprisingly reasonable...
Even so, the technology should be able to knock a good chunk off that.
wellington womble

You might have to be careful with using 'podiatry'. I think it's a protected title. Hairyloon

You might have to be careful with using 'podiatry'. I think it's a protected title.
pseudo podiatric?
Nick

Homeopodiatry. Hairyloon

Homeopodiatry.
Wouldn't get the alliterating artisan association approval. Wink
john of wessex

I am an Anti Christ
I am a Podiatrist................

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Nell Merionwen

Homeopodiatry.
Surely that would be the mere memory of feet and how accurate is the memory?
Mistress Rose

What's wrong with boot maker? Hairyloon

What's wrong with boot maker?
Boot maker was my original thought, but that might imply that they don't make shoes.
Hairyloon

It takes about 1/2 hour to get your measurements taken at somewhere like http://chuckleshoes.co.uk/ . I'm sure similar establishments exist else where.
Granted, I do not get out much, but I have never seen one, nor even heard about them. Part of the point is that it would make it easy for people like them to cater for people who cannot easily go to see them.
dpack

some of the posh bootmakers keep a customer's lasts (left and right are required) which does encourage repeat business

having had a quick look at taylor's in paddington st the 3d scanning thing seems to have been adopted already for driving the cad wood cutters for beech lasts rather than printing plastic lasts
sally_in_wales

if a budget plastic last could be achieved this way, I think it would be a boost to the number of people dabbling in home shoemaking for their own use. You can buy polystyrene lasts for felted slippers already, but they always seem slightly odd proportions to me, and relatively expensive for the material, I'd certainly like a pair of rigid plastic lasts as an alternative to the duct-tape ones I currently use when making shoes Chez

It takes about 1/2 hour to get your measurements taken at somewhere like http://chuckleshoes.co.uk/ . I'm sure similar establishments exist else where.
Granted, I do not get out much, but I have never seen one, nor even heard about them. Part of the point is that it would make it easy for people like them to cater for people who cannot easily go to see them.

You can just draw round your feet and send the drawing to Chuckles - but we took Leo in person and he did some foot-print stuff that meant that he did a bit of a built up sole for him. It's basically a case of measuring the dimensions and writing them down, though.
dpack

i recon a greased foot ,a mould either using latex or plaster of paris and cast a last in resin would be a fairly low tech /low skill method sally_in_wales

i recon a greased foot ,a mould either using latex or plaster of paris and cast a last in resin would be a fairly low tech /low skill method

oh indeed, but the idea of being able to go into a shop with a suitable scanner and have a set made without needing to set up the supplies and deal wit the mess would be a pleasant novelty!
dpack

the into a shop etc exists but it isnt cheap yet

ed

i spose a scan ,chose style ,boots are cad made and posted might be a workable business model
Hairyloon

the into a shop etc exists but it isnt cheap yet...
I don't see why it shouldn’t be. 3d Scanners and printers are not particularly expensive any more.
kGarden

If the only?? cobblers doing it are using 3D scan to then drive a wood cutter to make the last could it be that the plastic from 3D printers is not robust enough?

Although space station making spanners via 3D printer Smile
Nick

3D printers were specifically invented to make spare parts for tanks, including tracks. If your boot maker is breaking them, don't wear his boots. Wink Hairyloon

If the only?? cobblers doing it are using 3D scan to then drive a wood cutter to make the last could it be that the plastic from 3D printers is not robust enough?

I suspect they just want to show off.
Dee J

It's useful to remember though... shoes are not foot-shaped Shocked

Shoes fit to the foot at the same sort of points as a multi-adjustable sandal, the rest of the shoe provides enough clearance to allow the foot to function - spring, bend, flex, spread. Most low-end bespoke shoes can be sized using an outline tracing plus two or three circumference measures (widest part of foot, instep, and around the heel). There have been various novel technologies based on a cast or scan of the foot.. these have always failed because of a lack of understanding of the above.

HTH

Dee
Hairyloon

One of the joys of the digital age is that things can be easily edited.
Just because you have scanned a perfect digital representation of a foot doesn't mean that you have to print that exact model.: you can adjust it and print the perfect last instead.
Nick

True, but easily, and usefully, are not synonyms. Once we've fully deskilled, by scanning, editing and printing these tools, and we all have deformed feet from poor quality (but cheap! Oh, how CHEAP!) boots, we will realise this.

I think most people can use off the peg boots most of the time. If you want a bespoke, custom pair, it might be better to use an experienced, skilled older chap, ideally with an apron in either green (British Racing), claret or leather brown, and half moon specs, and be assured that he'll be there next time.

Use a 3D scanner and printer where it adds value, not just cuts costs.
Jamanda

True, but easily, and usefully, are not synonyms. Once we've fully deskilled, by scanning, editing and printing these tools, and we all have deformed feet from poor quality (but cheap! Oh, how CHEAP!) boots, we will realise this.

I think most people can use off the peg boots most of the time. If you want a bespoke, custom pair, it might be better to use an experienced, skilled older chap, ideally with an apron in either green (British Racing), claret or leather brown, and half moon specs, and be assured that he'll be there next time.

Use a 3D scanner and printer where it adds value, not just cuts costs.

Yep.
Hairyloon

i would say, and most of the relevant comments on this thread have reinforced that opinion, that most of the skill in bootmaking is in the making of the boots, not so much in the measuring up.
As to adding value, if a penny saved is a penny earned, then where do you draw the line between the one and the other?
Cutting costs for the sake of cutting costs is one thing, but cutting costs because there is a better way to do it.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home