Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
boisdevie1

Best angle for solar panels.

For a grid tie in system am I correct in assuming that the panels should be inclined to get the max output in the summer months. For my location this is about 55 degrees from the vertical.
Bebo

Depends on where you are and what time of year.

http://www.solarpaneltilt.com/
mark

I have always wondered about the advise that panels should point due South.
That would nmake sense if the suns intensity would be equal through the day.

But many areas have a pattern of clear sunny mornings and more convective cloud in the afternoon. Would this mean that pointing the panels slightly to the East of south might be more efficient? Not really looked into this
RichardW

For grid tie you want to maximise the total yearly production. Normally the latitude for the location as a degree of incline will do that.

For off grid you want to even out the production over the year so want latitude plus about 20 degrees.
Hairyloon

I have always wondered about the advise that panels should point due South.
That would nmake sense if the suns intensity would be equal through the day.

But many areas have a pattern of clear sunny mornings and more convective cloud in the afternoon. Would this mean that pointing the panels slightly to the East of south might be more efficient?

A good point. Makes sense if the weather is consistent.

For roof mounted panels, you've not got too much choice though...

It would be a good idea for them to do something to encourage more people to point panels east and west to help even out the overall energy production through the day.
OtleyLad

Each location will have an optimum orientation for the panels.
For example, we sit facing south but below a steep north facing hillside. Nothing directly shades my panels in the immediate vicinity but the hill blocks the early morning (east/south easterly) direct sunlight - so we get more direct sun for longer by facing our panels to the southwest.
vegplot

Experiment first. It will take a year.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home