Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Nick

Best mower?

http://www.honda.co.uk/garden/lawnmowers/HRG465SD/specifications/

or

http://www.mountfieldlawnmowers.co.uk/sp555-53cm-self-propelled-aluminium-deck-lawnmower.html

or something else, similar?

It won't get especially looked after, the ground is not a bowling green, and I want it to last forever.

Any experience of the brands, or models? I loved my last Honda... Took the fire to kill it.
sean

Have you not got enough space to justify a ride-on?
Rob R

Both are powered by Honda engines, so should be reliable. My dad used to have a John Deere push along that went on for years (not sure whether it died or is still down at the farm somewhere).

May I suggest a very economical solution, though; linky
Chez

Yeah, go on Smile
dpack

Both are powered by Honda engines, so should be reliable. My dad used to have a John Deere push along that went on for years (not sure whether it died or is still down at the farm somewhere).

May I suggest a very economical solution, though; linky

go piggies
Lorrainelovesplants

Please do not buy anything cheap and Chinese.

A mower with a Briggs & stratton engine will be easy to service and repair and you can get parts widely available.

I like Mountfields - John services around 300 every year, and likes these, Hayters and Hondas.
If you take the time to clean off the crap underneath them, check the oil and change the petrol before using it in the start of the season you shouldnt have any long standing problems.
Servicing really does extend the life of your mower - sharp blades will not tax the engine, and clean filters and correct oil levels will run it sweet.
Nick

Yeah, go on Smile

Had one, it was more trouble than it was worth once I stopped needing to cut football pitches in the field.

I do have a tractor, quad, 4x4 and an Audi sport. I've enough vehicles for fun. Smile

Are both those ok, then Lorraine? I was struck on the Honda, but I hate our local dealer, and B&Q have the Mountfield at big discount currently.
onemanband

My mowers are 'antique' so can't comment on new stuff other than ....
I scrap about a dozen mowers a year - mostly flymos and cheap chinese tat. Only ever scrapped a couple of Mountfields and don't think I've ever scrapped a Honda.
Honda build quality is ace. I have a Honda genny that can sit in shed over a year and still start within 2 pulls then one pull thereafter.
dpack

we built a good cart round a brigs engine when i was a kid

the motor is ace unmounted and running round the floor Embarassed

old and solid has merit

avoid hover things

my gran had a victorian push mower that was ace once it was moving

roller flywheel gears .proper( non )steam punk ,as good as owt for a 1/4 acre or so ,a bit of oil and a file made it work very well
as a small kid once i could reach the handles it was easy

a powered version is easy though
alice

My next mower will have to have proper tyres/wheels. The current one is a Castel. It has a Honda engine which I can't fault, steel deck, 53cm cut, but I'm on my second set of nasty moulded plastic wheels. They just wore away. It's a 4 mile trek each time we cut the grass and they're just not up to it. boisdevie1

I do have a tractor, quad, 4x4 and an Audi sport. I've enough vehicles for fun. Smile

What about a motorbike? The most fun I can have with my clothes on.
dpack

beware the orthopedic surgery from the quietist of motorbike spills

fast ones have ballistic impacts

lawnmowers are fairly safe unless you put your hand in the pto
alice

Yeah, thrilling as they are, I've always considered motorbikes to be on a par with hard drugs - it's only going to end one way..... dpack

bikes are fare less safe dpack

my vote is for posh old pusher sean

Or a giant GM ride-on guinea pig. That could work. dpack

ride on may be an issue ,those who rule have lines which are never crossed a big stature does not make a ponie:lol: Lorrainelovesplants

John says out of choice he would go for Mountfield. Briggs & stratton is the key. If B&Q have an offer on go for it. Dont get a self drive one, just a push along petrol. Lorrainelovesplants

John asks why are you getting a new one? What is up with old one? cant it be repaired? Nick

my vote is for posh old pusher

I've asked,but she says she won't do it.
Nick

John asks why are you getting a new one? What is up with old one? cant it be repaired?

The old one has an aluminium deck, and it melted in the garage fire, along with most of the rest of it. Smile. The Mountfield has a Honda engine.
dpack

John asks why are you getting a new one? What is up with old one? cant it be repaired?

The old one has an aluminium deck, and it melted in the garage fire, along with most of the rest of it. Smile. The Mountfield has a Honda engine.

what a perfect answer to a sensible question Laughing

all i can add is get the strongest one that will last

recon me grans one would have gone "phuuuu that was a bit warm " and been fine in the morning

low teck is good, solid is nice ,both is best
Nick

Went for the Mountfield. Started perfectly, and 12 yo was able to drive. So, effortless for me. Coped with the long grass. Hope it lasts. tahir

We've had a Mountfield with B&S engine for 12 years or so, has suffered serious abuse, been serviced once maybe? dpack

good

sprinklers in the new garage ?
Nick

I need a new garage first. Some wheels turn slowly... vegplot

I need a new garage first. Some wheels turn slowly...

This system maybe of interest. I saw it at EcoBuild and was quite impressed with it.
Nick

Ooh. Something to study this weekend. Ta. dpack

maybe a bit ott but scaled down perfect for the things you want to put in a garage

http://www.firestop.com.pl/english/oferta/sug/info_argonite.html
dpack

I need a new garage first. Some wheels turn slowly...

This system maybe of interest. I saw it at EcoBuild and was quite impressed with it.

that seems interesting as a method

another consideration is do you need an inspection pit ? cheap if planned in and less unpleasant than flat out under a thing on the flat
Nick

Nope. My garage is one of those that isn't for working on cars. dpack

flat floor easier

is pile and slab better than rubble /concrete and slab on that plot to give a solid hard standing ?

i sort of remembering it can be a bit jellied mud in your area
vegplot

Ooh. Something to study this weekend. Ta.

Their stand wasn't manned by suits with pointy shiny shoes but by the blokes in work wear that looked like they just cam off the building site. Either clever marketing or they really believe in their system which is the impression I got.

I quickly changed my visitor status from tyre kicker to consultant for architects and got much more useful info that way.
Castle Farm

I have a Haytor, to heavy, but does a nice job.

I bought one from Madley car boot last year called 'Champion' for 50 and it's light and easy to start and easy to push (not self drive) brilliant mower.
But if I was looking for another mower I'd buy a Victor. I had one years ago when I was contracting and it was the dogs dangly bits as far as mowers go, cut anything.

Theres one on ebay in Ludlow.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VICTA-PETROL-LAWN-MOWER-/261006330484?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item3cc5308a74
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home