Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Chez

Best place to buy an iPad mini online?

We have been given some funding to upgrade N's iPad because the external speakers have stopped working. I have 200 to spend. Any advice?

It needs to be an iPad because of the proprietary software and it needs to be an online purchase because I can't cope with the trauma of leaving the house.

I thought I'd look at Evil Tesco or Argos?

(I am going to give the one you lovely lot crowd-funded for us to the hospice because they will either be able to refurb it and pass it on; or sell it and use the money for something good).
Nick

John Lewis have them for 199 right now. I think they'll probably come with 2 years warranty, which could be longer than elsewhere.

Or, if I ignore your stuff, go out, to an Apple Store, and they'll trade in the existing one, so you get more for your 200.

However, this makes you go out, avoids online and stops the hospice getting it, so just ignore me.

http://www.johnlewis.com/apple-ipad-mini-apple-a5-ios-8-7-9-wi-fi-16gb/p231800434?colour=Space%20Grey
Chez

Thank you, that's fabulous. I'd have to go to That Bristol to the Apple Store; that's Beyond Bridgewater. Dragons and I'd have to change out of my house trousers.
Chez

Oh lord. What's the difference between a Mini, a Mini 2 and a Mini 3? I'm having a panic attack about all the choices.
Nick

I'm guessing the normal. Performance, speed, camera size. Apples home page used to have a simple comparison thingie.

I'm still running an iPad 2, and an original iPad and they both work well enough, although facebookk crashes lots. Anything else, just grand, by way of comparison.
Nick

https://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/compare/

Not an awful lot, except screen resolution.
Chez

It looks like the main thing is screen resolution and image stuff. The only thing we would find useful is the 2 is available with 32GB and the original only 16GB. Going to go for the 2 because we need it to run her fancy Proloquo communication software - one of it's strong points is that she can take photos and video clips of what she's been doing to show other people, so that will give us more flexibility.

Thanks, panic attack now downgraded to mild anxiety Smile
alison

Nick, on your original ipad can you still put films onto it. Ours refuses to talk to itunes now.
Nick

Unsure. It's Louise's. I'll check and see.
alison

Thanks.

We use ours just for browsing now, and watching the same old films, but it is beginning to crash more and more.
Nick

I can't find it, she may have it at work.

What OS version are you running?
Chez

Oh my god.

I was just sitting here thinking 'Now where can I take the extra 79 from for the Mini 2', and the postman knocked on the door with an envelope full of money sent to us by a very dear friend in the USA and a note saying that she found it in the dresser of her recently passed away husband and he would have wanted us to have it.

I can't quite believe it.
sean

For future reference there's an Apple store in Exeter if you want to avoid going up North to do your shopping.
Chez

But that's past Cullompton. They're all inbred when you get down that far.
alison

I can't find it, she may have it at work.

What OS version are you running?

I can't find ours either. I will wait until the school bus arrives.
alison

But that's past Cullompton. They're all inbred when you get down that far.

The good thing about venturing to Cribbs is that there is the hobby craft shop there.
Chez

It smells funny, though Smile gardening-girl

Take your air freshner! Wink Wink Chez

*shudder* Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home