Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
earthyvirgo

Best shape/style for a shorty person

Following on from Mochyn's dressmaking post, can anyone help me?

I've always been a bit hit and miss with dresses and have never really know what suits me style wise.

Really cannot be faffed with trying stuff on in shops. I just get hot and bothered and tetchy.

I've got a waist, so I do go in and out but am not ... ummm, large on top, not at all!

I love the look of maxi dresses and the idea of wafting around in one but not sure it'd look right! Or would something shorter and fitted be better on a small person? I just don't know.

I also loved the 'costumes' in the recent Dylan Thomas bio film 'The Edge of love".

So, if anyone had any ideas (pics) about what dress styles suit a 5.2 , size 10'ish woman, that'd be great.

EV
gil

I'm channelling Audrey Hepburn-ish.
Fitted(-ish) top half, A-line on the skirt.

Possibly funky geometric (rather than floral) prints in retro colours

I'd be thinking knee-length (on the kneecap).

Nothing too fussy in the way of added detail; clean lines.
No pleats or frills/ruffles.
TTouch Homestead

I am a bit shorter than you and tend to go for bias cut dress/skirts that give the impression of fitted without being cling city! Skirts that flare out from lower on the hips too instead of from waist. I wear a lot of stuff from m&s, precis petite, or ann brookes when working but to be honest around the garden, it is not pretty!

Posh do's -tend to wear fitted dress with a matching jacket on top. Bargains to be had on ebay!

I find that the empire line stuff makes me look short and shapeless, and I avoid them along with mid calf length.
earthyvirgo

I am a bit shorter than you and tend to go for bias cut dress/skirts that give the impression of fitted without being cling city! Skirts that flare out from lower on the hips too instead of from waist. I wear a lot of stuff from m&s, precis petite, or ann brookes when working but to be honest around the garden, it is not pretty!

Posh do's -tend to wear fitted dress with a matching jacket on top. Bargains to be had on ebay!

I find that the empire line stuff makes me look short and shapeless, and I avoid them along with mid calf length.

'Cling city' - that made me laugh, know what you mean.
I found, by luck that Next Petite seems to be made for my shape, got a lovely pair of cords in our local Annie's charity shop last year but I've worn them to death and now they're printmaking trousers!

@Gil, yep, I think you're right, frills and flounces are not on. I love florals but perhaps you're right there too.

Anything empire line makes me look pregnant/frumpy/mumsy, so a definite no-no.

EV
welsh veg grower

I would suggested ftted is best. Something which shows off your waist and a shaped nexk line not too low but that gives you a shape without it being too look at me.

Kneee length is the most flattering I recon for most people

something like this maybe
http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/perch-things-first-dress
judith

Agree with the others. Definitely the fitted bodice and flared skirt. Perhaps something where the front of the bodice comes down in a V-shape at the bottom to sort of elongate the whole line.

ETA as for floral, depends on the print. You could wear something bold, funky and large - deffo not Laura Ashley-type florals though.
Cathryn

Shall we go out shopping altogether? I am not at all keen on shopping and tend to run out of energy and any fleeting enthusiasm after about five minutes.

Or we could make something each altogether over a weekend after deciding on patterns and materials beforehand.

I have two parties and a wedding coming up very soon. The pressure is on.
bagpuss

If you can get to John Lewis or Debehnams I have heard very good things about their personal shopper services
bagpuss

Channel four have quite a good site for this

http://www.channel4.com/4beauty/style-me/bodyshapefinder

and for easy browsing (mostly high street) I find http://www.shopstyle.co.uk/ very good
welsh veg grower

Shall we go out shopping altogether? I am not at all keen on shopping and tend to run out of energy and any fleeting enthusiasm after about five minutes.

Or we could make something each altogether over a weekend after deciding on patterns and materials beforehand.

cor what you like I can do personal shopping services, love shopping and if its not my money Laughing
earthyvirgo

cor what you like I can do personal shopping services, love shopping and if its not my money Laughing

Watch out Cathryn, you'll end up wearing red shoes!!! Smile

EV
judith

Yeah. Me too. Love spending other people's money.
And I like red shoes!
welsh veg grower

Yeah. Me too. Love spending other people's money.
And I like red shoes!

perfect do you fancy starting in business spend your money in red shoes dot com maybe !!!
judith

Sounds like a plan. Don't see how it can fail. Laughing Mithril

If you are pretty much in proportion, then I'd say anything other than long pencil styles skirts and very large bell bottom flares. (I'm 4'11" so speak from experience Smile ) Cathryn

I love red shoes. I could buy some more and match the dress to it. Smile earthyvirgo

I love red shoes. I could buy some more and match the dress to it. Smile

So have I come to think of it.
From that lovely shoe shop in Machynlleth Smile

Riiight, so we all need dresses to go with red shoes .....
TTouch Homestead

I need more clothes like a hole in the head Embarassed

In fact I have several wardrobes full that never see the light of day now since changing my lifestyle! I really ought to sort them out but I just have not got the patience for it...
welsh veg grower

I love red shoes. I could buy some more and match the dress to it. Smile

So have I come to think of it.
From that lovely shoe shop in Machynlleth Smile

Riiight, so we all need dresses to go with red shoes .....

strangley I have many outfits that go with red shoes in fact all my work clothes go with red shoes just as well as I only wear red shoes doh!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Array Array Home Home Array