Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
lisaP

best way to cook beef heart?

I got a whole beef heart for the grand sum of 1 from a local farmers market, which seems like a bargain to me!

I've never eaten heart before. From my googling there seem to be several options.

Any recommendations?
nats

I don't know but I'd love to find out!!
Pilsbury

something to bare in mind is almost all meat is tougher the more work it does, shin of beef is tougher than fillet although some would argue more tasty.
Heart is the one muscle that is in use constntly until death therefore is likely to be tough and benifit from slow cooking, preferably in a liquid so braising is the ideal method although its good cut up in a stew as well.
Make sure you remove all the pipes and valves before you cook it, it really is worth it if a bit messy, and soak it for an hour or so.
That said my favourite way to cook it is stuffed and then stitched at the top using butchrs string and a larding needle then put into a slow cooker or braising pot with chopped onions, carrots, celery and a couple of handfuls of chopped herbs and then just covered with beef stock and give it a good long cooking, you can then slice and serve or pop into a hot oven to roast off the outside and while doing that puree the sauce and thicken with tomato puree.
lisaP

Hmmm... our all time fav casserole is slow cooked beef in beer, made using shin, so I'm leaning towards the slow cooking way...

If I soak it before cooking, what should I soak it in?
Ren

We've slowcooked - flavour is awesome.
Pilsbury

I soak it in salt water after cleaning and triming it, helps to clean it and adds to the flavour (or its cos thats what we did at college and its just something i have always done Embarassed )
cab

Cut off the big valvey bits, slice it, put it in some stock, and pressure cook it for 15 minutes at full pressure. Then its super cooked in stew or curry.

Its a tough old muscle a beef heart, but after a good, hard pressure cooking its very good indeed.
lisaP

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. Its waiting in the freezer for now, but will come out at the weekend to be trimmed, soaked and slow cooked until tender. Will let you know how I get on Smile
Rob R

I went for the slow cook & spicy option but definitely not to hide the taste but to complement it - in fact you've inspired me to get a heart out of the freezer this weekend and do just that. I also like them stuffed and allowed to go cold then sliced thinly in sandwiches with pickles.
mochyn

I often cook lamb and pig hearts (usually casseroled): I'll have to ask the butcher for a beef heart.
Rob R

Grassfed beef hearts taste better, of course Wink
sally_in_wales

Whilst I do like a roast heart, I usually dice it and use it to add richness and depth of flavour to a huge stew or chilli, using maybe three times as much mince as diced heart. Makes a lot of very economical tasty food for the freezer that way and you don't have to try to get through a whole heart in one go.
nats

You've just inspired me. I've never had heart, but along with my Christmas meat order for our local farm I just asked them to add in some shin and a heart - see if my husband (who doesn't "do" offal) will eat it!!
nats

Double post to ask - I guess one could prepare then freeze the heart ready for stew at a later date if one wanted? Like "normal" meat... I'm going to be mixing it with shin which likes either the slow cooker or the pressure cooker...
cab

If you want the ultimate slow cooking cut, you could do a lot worse than ox cheeks.
lisaP

Heart thawed and cut up. Found this video helpful. My pile of meat didn't look quite as tidy as his though I definitely need more practise... and a filleting knife.

From one heart I got:

1lb 10oz of fatty bits
14oz of trim that he suggested could be minced and added to other mince for long, slow cooking, and
1lb 6oz of lean, trimmed meat

I cut some into very thin slices across the grain (and then bashed thinner) and tried frying them.

First attempt - nice beefy, meaty taste, but rather chewy (was cooked enough to brown on the surface).
Second attempt did same but tried resting after still rather chewy. (When I say chewy, Im thinking same chewiness as the last supermarket steak I remember).

Third attempt I got braver and only briefly showed it both sides the frying pan, not long enough to brown and still slightly pink in the middle. Oh yum. Yum, yum, YUM!!. That was softer, juicier, and would make a good substitute in a steak sandwich!!! Except I never got as far as any bread and just scoffed the lot.

I would cook more like that now, but Id already cut the rest in to cubes for a long slow cook this afternoon.

Next time Im thinking of trying to make beef olives out of the thin slices too, and maybe using thin strips in a chinesey stir fry (just added for long enough at the end to get hot). Its defintely got potential.

Dogs are happy too, as they got the trim for breakfast (but if I can get my hands on a mincer Ill try that cooking that another time).

Definitely will buy more heart but cut it up before it goes in the freezer next time.

Now, what do I do with the fatty offcuts? Is that suet (or does that come from the kidneys). And if I try making tallow, what do I do with that? Can I feed it to the wild birds in any way to boost their calories?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home