Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Authors Corner
Treacodactyl

Bike maintenance article request

I'm thinking of dusting off Bugs' and my old bikes off but I don't know much about bike maintenance. It occurred to me that a simple bike servicing article would be a great addition to the site. Something along the lines of what to do to keep the bike on the road, simple repairs and routine maintenance.

Does anyone have such knowledge or know anyone who has? It could always be a downsizer joint article.
2steps

could ask my OH to do it. He knows tons about bikes
dpack

i know nothing ....teach me
dpack

please
trigfa

Yes please. I'm off to drop my rear wheel in to Mikes Bikes in Upper Bangor tomorrow as the freewheel appears to have seized. Not too good when your trying to freewheel down the mile long hill thats on my way home from work Mad

Anything that may save me future expense (as well as the satisfaction of doing it myself) is always welcome
Bugs

2steps wrote:
could ask my OH to do it. He knows tons about bikes

That would really be appreciated if you could, 2steps, and if you've got time between you. Mochyn's Old Chap is already down as a contributor so we have a precedent (of course I think they should both join up Smile )
2steps

OK, will ask him when he gets home tonight
Res

trigfa wrote:
Yes please. I'm off to drop my rear wheel in to Mikes Bikes in Upper Bangor tomorrow as the freewheel appears to have seized. Not too good when your trying to freewheel down the mile long hill thats on my way home from work Mad

You are supposed to oil the bike now and then, even more so if it's kept outside.

Halfords do a "maintenance oil" in spray can or for downsizer way, oil can.

Just drop a bit on the chain, cogs and wheel bearings, every other month should be more than enough.
Northern_Lad

Res wrote:
You are supposed to oil the bike now and then, even more so if it's kept outside.

Or twice daily of you live in Snowdonia.

I'll have a word with BIL; he's on a cycling forum somewhere.
Res

Northern_Lad wrote:

Should'nt that be "de-icer" :icescream:
Northern_Lad

All BIL could com up with was:
http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/read.php?f=2&i=1934878&t=1934739

Not so much a guide, more a 'how much do you do, and how often'
trigfa

Northern_Lad wrote:
Res wrote:

I'll have a word with BIL; he's on a cycling forum somewhere.

Actually oiling is one of the bits of maintainence that I've got my head around. I think the seizure may be due to me buying a cheap bike rather than lack of oil.

I certainly agree about the de-icer though. Usually in use from about September til May Smile
2steps

Bugs wrote:

That would really be appreciated if you could, 2steps, and if you've got time between you. Mochyn's Old Chap is already down as a contributor so we have a precedent (of course I think they should both join up Smile )

he said yes, no problem. when do you want it for?
Treacodactyl

Sorry for not replying sooner, I've been a little busy.

Thanks for the offer and it will be very welcome. There's no rush, Sunday would be fine. Wink Just joking, we have a steady flow of articles so whenever he could do it. If it's soon or he wishes for some comments from other cyclists then he could post it in the forum. Otherwise just email it to the ed and we can post it up.

If you would like some pictures and can't do them yourself please just post up a request and either I or someone can take them. If there's anything he's not sure of then, again, post up a question and someone should be able to help.

Thanks again. Very Happy
2steps

okey doke
Sunpuppy

Bike Maintenance article

Any news on the bike article front yet?

I'm desperately in need of some advice for my knackered old Raleigh mountain bike.....
2steps

OH says sorry for being so long and he'll finish it up by the weekend
Sunpuppy

Brill - I wait with bated breath...... Smile
tahir

This place offer a one day course in bike maintenance:

http://www.letsoffroaduk.com/
hairyhippy

www.sheldonbrown.com is a great free resource for all things bicycle.

I used his instructions to make and true my own wheels amongst other things

But as a minimum make sure your brakes work, your tyres are pumped and your chain is oiled.
hairyhippy

Did anyone ever put together a cycle maintenance article?
sean

No. Would you like to? Please. Smile
hairyhippy

I could have a go, are there any guide lines on submitting an article / article content?
sean

http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=2537
Thanks. If you've got any technical questions it may be quickest to PM Barefoot Andrew.
Barefoot Andrew

*pricks up ears and awaits any technical questions*
A.
BahamaMama

Where's Cab?
cab

BahamaMama wrote:
Where's Cab?

Sitting pondering his ineptitude at bike maintenance after once again failing to get his gears right.
BahamaMama

I have heard gears are tricky Laughing but what about the basics? and how to set a bike up so it does not give you bad backs and fizzy fingers? Evil or Very Mad
Gervase

I don't know if it's still in print, but there used to be an excellent book by a chap called Richard Ballantyne called Richard's Bicycle Book which had just about everything you'd ever need to know about how to look after a bike and written in a very accessible way. My last edition was from 1980, so it might not still be available. The principles, however, remain the same.

ETA: Nearly 40 years on, it's still available, updated, here. It was an inspirational book, and I hope it is still.
Tavascarow

TBH an article can only touch the basics & there's already a wealth of knowledge on the net.
I like Sheldon Browns site.
This one is my favourite though.
& this one has some very easy to follow videos.
Park tools site is good to but they will try & tell you you need to buy their very expensive (all be it very good) tools.
Barefoot Andrew

There's also The Bike Book from Haynes. I've got a first edition which has proved useful a time or two Very Happy
A.
zigs

just need....................
djoptix

As posters have said, nobody can compete with the breadth of knowledge available at Sheldon... but I would be happy to write a "top 10 tips for life with your bicycle" if people want? Smile
sean

Yes please. Smile
judith

As posters have said, nobody can compete with the breadth of knowledge available at Sheldon... but I would be happy to write a "top 10 tips for life with your bicycle" if people want? Smile

That would be great, thank you.
Pictures to go with it would be an added bonus for the mechanically inept among us, like me.
Layout and stuff can be done by the Publishing pixies.
Jo S

That would be *fantastic*!
JB

I'd appreciate it as I've just got back onto two wheels. Albeit I've only done a few miles so far while I get to grips with these new fangled ez shift gears. But it's already made me realise how much I want to know stuff like do how do I adjust the deraileurs to get smooth running, are there wear indicators on brake blocks, do I need to maintain front suspension, can I change the 700x42 tyres that came on the bike with something more suited to roads? Probably all very obvious questions to someone who does this regularly but it's an area where I'm ignorant.
Midland Spinner

I've got both those books and they are great (using them I've been able to do all our bike maintenance, even stripping down a sturmey archer 3 speed hub), but I agree that what's needed here is a basic get-you-started article for new/newly returned cyclists so that they don't have to go out & buy the books before they can even get down to the shops to get a pint of milk. djoptix

Cool. I'll get on it. Might take a few days. sean

I'll get on it. Might take a few days.

Have you got a really, really, really big pennyfarthing then?
djoptix

Me, yesterday.

12Bore

Surprised Barefoot Andrew

Do you still bother with tyre pumps and puncture repair kits? Shocked
A.
12Bore

Did I just hear Cab squeal with delight? Laughing cab

Did I just hear Cab squeal with delight? Laughing

No I was recoiling in horror at the thought of D-locking that to a lamp post Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Authors Corner
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home