Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Owsla

Bilberries

Hi folks.
I have noticed that Bilberries have suddenly appeared and are growing in abundance where I live.
Its time to get a bad back and purple fingers.

Does anyone have any tips for picking Bilberries and avoid coming away with a painful back? I want to pick lots this year but I dont think my poor body can take it.
sally_in_wales

ooh fab, I adore bilberries. Didnt think they were nearly ready yet, but I shall start keeping my eyes peeled
Treacodactyl

Some sort of berry picker, perhaps you could add a longer handle or make your own as there's plenty of plans about?
Owsla

Hi Sally. Being that you live in sunny Wales you wont have far to go to find Bilberries I'm sure.
They are one of my all time favourite wild fruits to eat and are loaded with lots of healthy stuff that is really good for us.
Owsla

Some sort of berry picker, perhaps you could add a longer handle or make your own as there's plenty of plans about?

I had been considering buying a berry picker or making one a while ago so thanks for reminding me. Do they work well or is there is a risk that the berries can get mushed up? Bilberries can be quite delicate when they're ripe.
Northern Boy

Re: Bilberries

Does anyone have any tips for picking Bilberries and avoid coming away with a painful back? I want to pick lots this year but I dont think my poor body can take it.

A small child. Mine had great fun picking them last year and she was head-height with the berries so didn't have to bend down. I could rent her to you, tho' I might have to consult with her mother first.
Finsky

I had been considering buying a berry picker or making one a while ago so thanks for reminding me. Do they work well or is there is a risk that the berries can get mushed up? Bilberries can be quite delicate when they're ripe.

They work well when the berries are not too ripe. I favour my fingers though..with berry picker you end up with 'tons' of 'rubbish' to clean amongst the berries and it is looooong job of cleaning if you pick a lot.
foggy

Do 50 dorsal raises every morning. It will soon strengthen your back. gz

Croeso from over here, by the way Very Happy

one local lad here adapted a dustpan by serrating its leading edge...seems to work well enough Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home