Bingo’s Braised Shin of Beef
- 1Kg Shin of beef
- 350g Shallots or onions
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 4 sticks of Celery
- 4 large Carrots
- 1 table spoon tomato paste
- 1 bottle of red wine
- Flour for dusting the meat.
- Salt and pepper/ olive oil
- Peel Shallots/Onions and cut into 4cm pieces or keep Shallots whole.
- Cut the Celery and Carrots to a similar size to the Onions.
- Heat some olive oil in a large sauce pan.
- On a medium heat fry the cut vegetables until you have browned them, this will give the dish flavour.
- Take out of the pan and set aside.
- Cut the Shin of beef into large chunks 4cm cubes.
- Coat the beef in seasoned flour.
- Add some more oil to the same pan and fry off the beef. Again colour means flavour. Add the tomato paste.
- Pour the whole bottle of wine in the pan getting any flavours off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon (de-glaze).
- Add the vegetables, thyme and whole peeled garlic cloves.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to a very low setting for 4 hours.
- Skim off any fat that floats to the surface.
- When the meat is very tender take out with the vegetables and set aside.
- Now turn up the heat and boil the liquid to reduce it down.
- Take it down until you have enough to coat and sauce the meat.
- It should taste strong and beefy.
- If it is too thin, thicken with a small amount of cornflour or arrowroot.
Great with mashed potato and serve with the cooked vegetables.