Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Lorrainelovesplants

Biodiesel info please

have been googling 'how to make your own biodiesel'.

is there anywhere in southern England that does a course on this?
12Bore

Wrong area, but I think Hairyloon's your man for this.
alison

Don't the strawbridges do something like this, down in Cornwall. I am sure it was one of their things a few years ago.
Hairyloon

Don't the strawbridges do something like this, down in Cornwall. I am sure it was one of their things a few years ago.

They did do a course, but I think they've sold up and moved on now.

Wrong area, but I think Hairyloon's your man for this.

I wouldn't claim to be an expert, all the vehicles on our fleet are known to be none too fussy, so it doesn't matter too much if we don't get it quite right.
Also I'm struggling for raw materials since I lost my main contract. Sad

But it is not difficult, it just involves nasty chemicals so you have to be careful: I'll wager that safety makes up more than half of any course you go on.

In brief, you do a titration to determine quantities, mix up the nasties and bung them in the oil.
Stir vigorously then leave it to settle, and voila: you have biodiesel, just clean it up* and chuck it in your motor.
Lorrainelovesplants

Im looking for someone to do a proper course....there must be someone in southern england.

The Strawbridges are no longer at Newhouse Farm, and on the net I cant get anything up to date apart from Dick's website (dickstrawbridge.com).

There is some renewable centre near brighton I seem to remember, but cant think of the name.....
and there was a rural skills place in Dorset, but i dont know if they do biodiesel....i
Hairyloon

Im looking for someone to do a proper course....there must be someone in southern england.
If you can't find one, then perhaps there is a gap in the market...
Or perhaps the big boys are trying to stitch it up again...
Colin & Jan

I've been making bio for about 6 years now. Didn't 'do' a course but read some books and used YouTube. As Hairyloon said it's not that difficult, however it can be messy (especially if you leave a stuck valve open as I did, with 100 litres of oil in the processor; went to the next shed to get an unblocking instrument and ended on on another project!!!).

Mine is the simplest of set-ups and makes 100 litres at a time. here is what I do:

100 litres of oil in processor, which has a immersion heater element. heat oil until very hot; turn heating circulation pump on when top part of oil gets hot.

After about 2 hours add meth-oxide mixture - 600grammes of caustic soda dissolved in 20 litres of methanol.

Spin in processor with lid on for about 2 hours or until condensed methanol stops dripping.

Add 6 litres of hot water from watering can fitted with rose and spin for about an hour.

Turn off heater and pump and allow to settle for about an hour then open valve and drain off sludge until clean diesel starts to flow.

Then turn on pump and 'air wash' overnight. This allows the methanol to dissipate, which in turn will allow any soaps to drop out.

I then leave in the processor for 2 or 3 days and any soaps and crud will drop out. I then decant the bio into drums to put in the vehicles.

Used to titrate but no longer bother and the end result works well for us.

If you have a shed with an electrical supply and more importantly a source of oil you are in business. if you have any further questions please shout.

Colin
alison

Colin

Is there any chance of you taking a few photos, and then we could make it into an article.
Lorrainelovesplants

Yes, I agree this would make a good article.

What Im really after is someone to teach an event...Im looking for someone who has taught this before (possibly at a recognised centre or for a sustainable living group),
but your post was a really good insight into how do-able this is at home.
brettgilbert77

Yes, I agree this would make a good article.

What Im really after is someone to teach an event...Im looking for someone who has taught this before (possibly at a recognised centre or for a sustainable living group),
but your post was a really good insight into how do-able this is at home.

I'm very active on a specific Biodiesel forum, although I run my vehicle currently on SVO and WVO. I thought I was wel informed on Bio Diesel until I joined a specific forum, then found out the technology and quality of fuel and processing was far beyond the simple processing shown by the Strawbridge's

There are people on there that will show you how to produce it on their processors. I know one in Suffolk and one in Cornwall. There's plenty around though.

There are many sites and products claiming that biodiesel is really easy, buy an off the shelf processor, chuck in some highly toxic and flammable chemicals, switch it on and in 20 minutes you get high grade fuel. Unfortunately it's not quite that simple. You do run the risk of blowing youself up in a cloud of Methanol vapour, or going blind then dead breathing fumes from a non sealed and properly vented system

Firstly you're going to need the raw materials to process anyway, no point building a processor if you have nothing to put in it. The waste oil market's quite competitive with some big players in it, so you will want to ask friends and local businesses what they do with waste oil to gauge whether it's likely you'll have a regular supply.

Graham Laming has a very useful site and information on the GL Eco processor has been used as the basis for many successful plants. It's a good place to start, but you'd be best then joining a proper Bio forum advice. They're mostly a friendly lot, but do search for answers in the forums first as lots of Newbie questions will already have been covered.

Not sure I can post links on here as I'm new, but if you want to have a link to the forum and wiki sites PM me.
sean

Hi brett. You're welcome to post links. As long as they're vaguely relevant and not for cheap kitchens. Smile Wink brettgilbert77

Re: Biodiesel info please

have been googling 'how to make your own biodiesel'.

is there anywhere in southern England that does a course on this?

There's a chap in Liskeard who has a decent plant and loads of knowledge on the subject, he's also a thoroughly lovely guy. I broke down near St. Austell the other weekend and he came and rescued me.

He's on the forum http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/mybbforum/ and known as JulesandTash.
Before asking though have a good look through the forum, newbie questions etc and also look at the wiki site http://www.biopowered.co.uk/wiki/Vegetable_oil_and_Biodiesel_wiki

That may help answer some questions and give you a better idea whether the whole process is still of interest.
Lorrainelovesplants

As I am thankfully no longer employed by the College I am no longer interested in thinking of interesting courses for them. Lorrainelovesplants

As I am thankfully no longer employed by the College I am no longer interested in thinking of interesting courses for them.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home