Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Hairyloon

Bitcoins

Anyone heard of "Bitcoins"?
I was directed to them by one I have labelled as "nutter", so I am more sceptical than it possibly deserves, but it looks interesting...

Wikipedia wrote:
Bitcoin is an decentralized electronic cash system using peer-to-peer networking, digital signatures and cryptographic proof to enable irreversible payments between parties without relying on trust. Payments are made in Bitcoins, a digital currency issued and transferred by the Bitcoin network. Nodes broadcast transactions to the network, which records them in a public history after validating them using a proof-of-work system.
Shane

Presumably the Bitcoins people take a cut of every transaction?
Hairyloon

Presumably the Bitcoins people take a cut of every transaction?

I think they said they're a lot cheaper than paypal.
Shane

Maybe so, but it's still not an alternative to cash if someone's taking a slice everytime it changes hands.
bagpuss

Maybe so, but it's still not an alternative to cash if someone's taking a slice everytime it changes hands.

I don't think they do take a cut every time it changes hands
Hairyloon

I don't think they do take a cut every time it changes hands
I think you are right, but I couldn't find where I'd read it.

I hear the value of Bitcoins is up over last month... gotta wonder how cost effective mining them is. Confused
camaro

It's not. The electricity costs, even in the US, are more than the produced coins are worth. They were worth about $30 or more 6 months a so or go, then took a dive to about $3 once people realised they were only really useful to buy drugs semi-anonymously (google "The Silk Road").
Loadsa speculators just bought them outright without mining them, and lost all their savings...
Hairyloon

It's not. The electricity costs, even in the US, are more than the produced coins are worth.
OTOH, if you are generating surplus electricity and don't have an export meter, then you might as well do something with it.
Quote:

They were worth about $30 or more 6 months a so or go, then took a dive to about $3 once people realised they were only really useful to buy drugs semi-anonymously (google "The Silk Road").
Loadsa speculators just bought them outright without mining them, and lost all their savings...

I heard they were creeping back up. And there seemed to be quite a few things on their website that you can supposedly buy.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home