Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Treacodactyl

Black currants...

...are starting to turn black here now. They are not as big as other years probably because they haven't had as much water as other years. They have also been suffering from a pest boring up the stems and causing the stem to die. Confused I should still get a good crop.

Anyone harvesting theirs yet?
nettie

My first berry is half black. I reckon they're only about a week away. BTW you know those wild currants I mentioned on the common? They've turned out to be redcurrants and the birdies haven't found them yet (which is more than can be said for the ones on my allotment!!! Despite loads of netting a little git or 3 has managed to get in underneath and strip almost all of them..... Evil or Very Mad )
Treacodactyl

Red currant fed blackbird in red currant sauce for dinner?

It'll not be long before we need to keep a very keen eye on our hens, they love most soft fruit.
Behemoth

Mine are still green but it's only the bushes second year. The plant's been affected by some kind of mite causing the leaf to curl but it's getting by. Red and white currents have put on a lot of growth but again it;s the second year for them so not much fruit - I think that comes next year.

I promise, promise, promise to dig some info out and do a brief pruning thing - particulalry gooseberries which benefit from a summer prune.

If the berries are small due to drought will the flavour be more intense?
Northern_Lad

Don't worry, Behemoth, mine are still green too - but sooooo many of them! Mine are just into their 3rd year now.
judith

My two year-old bushes are absolutely laden. Still green and hard, but I am looking forward to the harvest. Last year the birds totally stripped the goosegogs and raspberries, but they ignored the blackcurrants.
Treacodactyl

Mine are only just truning on one variety. However, the hens have already found them. Confused
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home