Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Sherbs

Blackberries . . again

How are people finding the blackberries this year?

Despite loads of flowers, and lots and lots of berries appearing, hardly any of them seem to have actually got as far as going black, or even red.

Went blackberry picking this afternoon and it was quite disappointing. Even those that were black were small and hard and pretty unappealing.

It's possible that it will get better if the weather improves as blackberries here are often later than in less exposed and warmer areas.
gz

blackberries

LOADS here Laughing
just picked another few pounds in the village, plenty round the rec, lovely ones too Very Happy
Kids are just not picking them, and don't know what to do with them Shocked
Sherbs

Kids round our way know to pick them but I don't think they know what to do with them afterwards
MossDragon

We must have easily picked 6lbs of lovely juicy blackberries this afternoon. There seem to be lots about here, last year wasn't good at all.

Bramble vodka as well as blackberry and apple jelly. Yum
jamanda

Blackberry whisky is better than vodka. But it only lasts five minutes once it's open.

Loads round here this year too.
Nicky cigreen

lots here and they are turning black every day.. every day we pick all of them, and the next day there are just as many.
BelindaC

Pounds in the freezer here, for jam/jelly and blackberry puddings all winter.
sgt.colon

Went for a ride along the canal yesterday and there are loads of them. We are going back next weekend with out tubs.

Blackberry jelly, Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Purplegirl

More here than I know what to do with... got another 7lbs the other night of huge ripe berries Smile
Jools

There are a few ripe ones around here, but mostly they're still at the tiny green stage.

However, I did notice that the brambles at the bottom of the drive had a fair amount of decent looking berries, so I'm going to pop out and get those later.
Green Rosie

Sherbs - same as you here - but although small they are quite juicy. They just take a lot longer to pick. I did see some larger ones up the lane this morning so I'll try and find the time to get those later.
GrillMonkey

I went out yesterday and picked over a kilogram. Smile

They're are now currently fermenting in a bucket with honey to make a lovely Blackberry Mead (melomel).

I plan to get some more today if the weather holds. I've got recipes for Spiced Blackberry Relish and Blackberry and Apple Jam. I also plan to make a few gallons of Blackberry and Eldarberry wine. Very Happy
Rob R

They're very early round here- don't normally see them ripen until into September but there are an awful lot of them now. Sloes too look like they are going to be a bumper crop.
Effie

They're doing pretty well here too, there are already quite a few ripe.
Jools

GrillMonkey wrote:
I've got recipes for Spiced Blackberry Relish

Ooh, that sounds nice! Was the recipe online, or could you post it here please?
GrillMonkey

Jools wrote:
GrillMonkey wrote:
I've got recipes for Spiced Blackberry Relish

Ooh, that sounds nice! Was the recipe online, or could you post it here please?

Online here http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2643/spicy-blackberry-chutney
Jools

Lovely, thanks! Very Happy
Rob R

Mmmm... Having just bought a jar of red onion & cranberry chutney, I was wondering about the potential- and that recipe seems perfect, thanks. Very Happy
GrillMonkey

I made this and tried it this weekend. I used a bit more ginger than the recipe says and it was really, really nice both with pork pie and in my burger Very Happy
Rob R

I found it particularly good on my burger too. thumbright
gz

blackberries

a lot have been spoilt by the rain....but loads more just need a bit more sun Smile
Jools

Re: blackberries

gz wrote:
a lot have been spoilt by the rain....but loads more just need a bit more sun Smile

Yes, I found that too. Did manage to get about a pound from the hedges around our fields though. Will try the ones over the road on the common soon. They were still small and green when I checked last.
Jb

Lots of fruit around here but what looks ripe hasn't been very good (solid and not very juicy) which is odd as we had a very good year for other fruits.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home