Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Jamanda

Blackberries

Just had some stewed with a cheesecake made by BW. Delicious.

Will have to check how much of last year's jelly is left to see if I need to make some more.
Northern Boy

I don't think I have seen a single ripe blackberry yet this year!
Jamanda

Well they've only just got going down here and that's only on South facing slopes. Give them a week or two up there.
12Bore

Not even in flower here Rolling Eyes
Nicky Colour it green

picked our first a few days ago.
sgt.colon

I was out on a bikeride on Saturday and there are loads ripe around here. I was quite shocked.
foggy

Picked a couple last week,

saw a lady out picking today so I'll have to get my nose in.

Have been enjoying last year's blackberry whisky this week though.
marigold

It's a fabulous year for blackberries here. I've been picking for a week or two now and there's loads more to come.
Jamanda

Are they nice? I can see they are huge and plentiful, but I was a bit worried they might be a bit watery. It's been too rainy here to get any in quantity yet.
DawnMK

Been picking for the past week here along with raspberries Very Happy
marigold

Are they nice? I can see they are huge and plentiful, but I was a bit worried they might be a bit watery. It's been too rainy here to get any in quantity yet.

Yes, nicely flavoured, though not the best I've ever had. They're a good size and are ripening well now the weather's warmed up. Last year they were pathetic, but the weather seems to have suited them this year.
sarahp1

We seemed to be the first in the village to pick this year. For braving the waist high nettles, we got about 3 kgs worth Smile
12Bore

Picked the first ones today Laughing
Sherbs

very patchy here, in some places they are huge and very ripe but in others the bushes are still in flower
frewen

I need to get on this. Midwinter is not the same without blackberry wine !
ebichu64

Foraging for Blackberries (So glad I found this forum!)

Hallo there! (first post)
I've lived in the same street in south Manchester for nearly 10 years, and for the first 4 or 5 I picked blackberries by the school, in the park, next to the railway station...
Then the station was remodelled, the brambles cut back and a fence put in the way. The council has a 6 foot rule so now the brambles by the school are cut back to bare wood just as they are about to set fruit. (Tragic, isn't it?)

Click to see full size image

I'm not sure what's happened in the park but there was barely a berry in sight last year. Today I'm going to see if it's any better this year.

Last year I managed to pick enough for 1 blackberry and apple pie.
This year I've managed to find enough for 2.

Next year I hope I'll be able to travel a bit further afield to find them, but does anyone know of anywhere in the Didsbury / Withington area where they haven't been destroyed?
(I know that Chorlton Water Park has them but they hold paid-for foraging events so I'm concerned they might be a bit miffed if people pick them at other times.)

Thanks Smile
Jamanda

Hello there. Sorry to hear your brambles have been bashed - most annoying. For what it's worth it might make them even better next year as long as the council forget to do them again.
ebichu64

Thanks Jamanda
I hope so too, but I doubt it. I think one of the parents must have complained about their child getting scratched and they've religiously cut them back every year during the summer holidays.

I can sort of understand why there might have been concern over the station as there was woody nightshade mixed in with the blackberries so they might have been worried about children eating them by mistake...
But on the other hand, I know the difference between them and I'm a proper townie - born and brought up in the east end of London!

It looks like it's brightening up outside so I'm off out on my hunt now.
Wish me luck (Wild blackberries are vicious when cornered!)
Wink
Jamanda

Good luck - I'm going out to get some this afternoon - we can compare hauls!
Went

Hello and welcome - we harvested blackberries yesterday - the home-grown are doing well but the wild are suffering a bit due to lack of rain this year.
Penny Outskirts

None at all at home yet, although there are lots of the wasteland in Cheltenham.
Jamanda

None at all at home yet, although there are lots of the wasteland in Cheltenham.

That's where TS Elliot was writing about!
Jamanda

I say this every year, I really must do a "How to pick blackberries" Article. It's scary how many people are just clueless! ebichu64

Haha! I know what you mean.

Always wear old clothes, long sleeves and sturdy footwear. Always hold the box underneath the branch - pick one and half a dozen riper ones fall into the undergrowth otherwise. (DoH!)

Well, I'm starting to think last year just wasn't a very good year for blackberries.

I found more than I expected in the park and hit the jackpot by the station. Naturally, all the best ones were either too high or behind the fence, but I came home again with nearly a kilo. (I'm using the sunglasses for size comparison.)

So, I nearly fell down a hole (I think where a tree used to be), got nettlestung and soaking wet, covered in random bits of nature and had a great time! Very Happy

How did you do Jamanda?
Jamanda

I got about 4lbs very quickly, but I did have to make judicious and vigorous use of my hooky stick to sort out a few nettles and pull things about a bit.

A lady pottered along with her grand-daughter who was wearing a strapless summer frock and sandles and carrying a ilttle plastic freezer bag. I think they got about three - blackberries, not pounds!

I did tell them an easier place, so maybe they tried there.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

The bushes I've got my eye on are just beginning to ripen..... Cool 12Bore

The bushes I've got my eye on are just beginning to ripen..... Cool
Bet the birds beat you to it Wink
NorthernMonkeyGirl

All I ask is that some are left between dog-wee-height and the stretch of my arm Wink They can have the rest! Penny Outskirts

That's where TS Elliot was writing about!

Laughing
Jess

I have been picking them last few weeks non stop. Do not know what else to cook from them!! reebok

Blackberries really starting to ripen now and the quality looks good. Picked 8lbs in a little over an hour last weekend and there are loads more to come. Bring 'em on, can't get enough of the little black beauties! Jess

It seems there are the last ones over here. Tried to pick up more today and they seem all gone Sad dpack

looking good on the domesticated ones ,wild are rather sparse
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home