Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
moggins

Blackberry Frozen Yoghurt lollies

Just freezing nicely, I think they may be a bit sharp for the kids though, mum may have to taste test them first Very Happy
Bugs

Very selfless of you, Moggins. I didn't know I had a motherly instinct myself, but I feel I would like to help you if I were that bit nearer Laughing

What's the recipe then?
moggins

Pretty basic really, just cooked sieved blackberries, a few large dollops of live yoghurt and a tablespoon of honey all blitzed together and shoved into ice lolly moulds.

I was just using up some bits in the fridge that were approaching that just before they hit the bin stage Very Happy
Bugs

Mmm, sounds good. I made several batches of frozen yoghurt last year but I can't remember if we tried them as lollies. I'll definitely give it a go this year though - I like juice lollies but have always had a fondness for Mini Milks Embarassed

I love meringue with ice cream. I wonder if bashed up meringue would stay crispy if you mixed it up with the unfrozen ice cream or yoghurt?
moggins

Perhaps if you semi-froze the ice-cream first?
ButteryHOLsomeness

hello everyone, i'm new here, just found you via the MSE forums.

i started a post on MSE a few days ago concerning ice lollie recipes so thank you for this one, it sound gorgeous!

does anyone have any ideas how to get the lolies out of the moulds without the stick coming out? we bought some of the sippy plastic moulds (the ones where they catch the liquid and you just sip it up) but only 2 came out ok, the other two we had to eat with a spoon.

a wee bit of hot water over the outside of the mould seems to help but it's not the best idea if you only want 1 lolly. any other suggestions appreciated

by the way i think this site if amazing! dh and i have a dream of eventually setting up an eco village and we have already started doing a lot the sort of things you find on here so it's wonderful to find like minded folks. also, i'm an american ex-pat so i've HAD to learn to make a lot of my own items because i simply can't find the same products over here...just as well, nothing quite like homemade Very Happy
tahir

Welcome on board buttery, glad you like our humble abode, look forward to hearing about some of the stuff you've made yourself.
jema

This sounds a good idea.

I have been making yoghurt a lot recently, but have had a couple of batches go off Sad as assorted pressures stopped me paying enough attention to the cooking.

This sort of quick easy and tasty way to make use of an excess will come in handy.
moggins

Nice to know I am of some use here Wink

Buttery I have those too, they can be a pain but I find that if I wrap my hands (I have small hands) around the ice lolly I want for about 30 seconds or so, it thaws it just enough to slide out.
Bugs

moggins wrote:

I hope you were never in any doubt! Laughing

Welcome Buttery (it's a great username by the way, just a bit of a mouthful).

Our lolly mould only holds four lollies so we can normally manage with the hot water, but reading Moggins' post, what about using a cloth dipped in warm water, then you can wrap that around just one mould for a minute or so?

I wonder too whether it would be worth experimenting with a prefrozen mould to pour your mixture in to?

Or...and this isn't really the healthy option...could you make the lollies, get them all out, using hot water, quickly dip them in melted chocolate, and then put them back in the freezer, say on some baking parchment, until they freeze again, and then you could wrap them up and store them in a box ready to pull out when you fancy one. Voila, Magnums! Laughing I've never tried this, it's just an idea...
ButteryHOLsomeness

moggins wrote:

Buttery I have those too, they can be a pain but I find that if I wrap my hands (I have small hands) around the ice lolly I want for about 30 seconds or so, it thaws it just enough to slide out.

that's brilliant, i'll give it a go!

i've got some orange juice and wild berry blue kool aid pops in the freezer now (a friend sent me some kool aid from the states, if you mix if with fruit juice you barely need any sugar Wink )

i ate some of our strawberry and banana frozen fruit kebabs today. i'm not impressed with the strawberries, wasted methinks, should have put them in the smoothie but the banana was a little piece of heaven mmmmmm
moggins

Bugs I will have to go and buy more chocolate now!
Maggie

Ice Lolly recipes

Hi there - what a great site!! i just typed into Google 'ice lolly recipes' and lo and behold I found myself here - so I have joined you lot!! I would like some help please - I would like to make ice lollies - and poss like the mini milk ones .... but not sure what to do - and to ensure that they are frozen - as opposed to sort of slushy milk which is what happens if you just freeze flavoured milk. So if anyone has any ideas - I would be very grateful. Thank you. Laughing
nettie

Hiya Maggie, can't help, but welcome anyway!! Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home