Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Nell Merionwen

Blimey, I panicked

I thought that I'd not been paid
Natwest problems Shocked
sgt.colon

Not good is it. We had people at work panicing, thinking they had not been paid.
john of wessex

I was rying to pay for something on the PC world site on Wednesday - it was a nightmare.

Now I know why - Worldpay is RBS

The computer is on its way, as, sadly is the bill................
DawnMK

balances are now showing but cannot do any online transfers Mad so still unable to make payment for business rates and rent that was due on Thursday
Penny Outskirts

It must be very scary.

We rely far too much on banks. Over the years they've gradually taken control, and now they have total control of our finances. Think it's time to take that control back. Cash and bartering are the way forward.
Treacodactyl

Some rely too much on banks. If you went over to cash and bartering you're payments would take far longer than a few days to process, so if more people didn't wait until the last minute to pay things etc then there wouldn't be a problem.

I remember when my company didn't get paid for something like 6 months, that was interesting.
DawnMK

with running a shop you dont have a choice but use a bank, your card payments are done through a bank, if you dont take card payments you lose sales, paying for supplies and bills is done by payment over the phone or bank transfer, there is no way we can pay cash our suppliers are not on our doorstep Rolling Eyes

My personal bank account I rarely use, I am paid in cash and thats what I use, I dont have credit cards or anything.
Nick

It couldnt be an overnight change, but we managed without cards for ten thousand years.

I look forward to Zopa and the like rising.
DawnMK

I cannot see people going back to cash only no cards. things have changed a lot in 10 thousand years there is nothing wrong with using debit cards to make payments, I actually prefer card sales to cash, the paperwork is easier and I dont have to pay to bank the money its an automatic transfer, cash can sometimes be a hindrance in business. Also compared to 10 thousand years ago we are more international now, we usein total 46 suppliers for the shop and 18 of those are international, New Zealand, Australia, America, Holland, French Turkey Japan, etc there are no british suppliers who could supply use with the goods we get from them Rolling Eyes so how could we pay them
gardening-girl

Lots of places don`t **like ** cash payments.We get quite a lot of cash in birthday/christmas cards, from our residents.Try going into Comet, and trying to pay for a laptop with cash! Rolling Eyes
Treacodactyl

That's the real problem, banks and building societies make life much easier and are usually quite reliable so people get used to things working. People can't cope in the rare events when things go wrong.
Nick

Tbh, I agree, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.
marigold

I have contingency plans to cater for bank screw-ups. Two bank accounts (one branch-based, one online), other separate savings accounts with other financial institutions (including National Savings) and a couple of cash stashes in the house. Plus a good store cupboard.

It doesn't mean I can't be caught out, but at least I've got some chance of not being completely penniless and powerless if one bank fails. If the internet failed I'd be stuffed, but then, so would everyone else. And I would have cash and food for a few weeks (assuming prices didn't rocket).

I'm lucky that I have the resources to do all that, many people don't.
Treacodactyl

You'd need more resources if you relied on barter or cash. We tend to use cash rather than debit cards but it would be much easier to just use the debit card.
marigold

You'd need more resources if you relied on barter or cash. We tend to use cash rather than debit cards but it would be much easier to just use the debit card.

If we have to go back to barter, I'd be dead fairly quickly Wink . With things as they are many people can function without the resources of health and strength, that's a luxury that "simple" societies can't afford.
robkb

Not good is it. We had people at work panicing, thinking they had not been paid.

My employer uses Nat West so if it's not sorted 5000 people could potentially not get paid this week Surprised

Perhaps I can offer my mortgage/energy/insurance/credit card providers some carrots?
Nick

My employer uses Nat West so if it's not sorted 5000 people could potentially not get paid this week Surprised

Perhaps I can offer my mortgage/energy/insurance/credit card providers some carrots?

They'll be aware of the issue, and cope with it. And if not, Natwest will pay for it.
Jamanda

My wages turned up as normal. Nick

I think the worst buggered about with were the people packed into a van, moving home, who's cash failed to move across. I'm sure it'll be sorted, but must have been a worrying time. DawnMK

Its almost sorted but not there yet, the payments coming into the bank from our card payment system are still not sshowing on the account and havent done since Thursday, but we can now do transfers and the moneys banked last Thursday are now showing, so I will have to pop to the bank tomorrow and see what is happening Rolling Eyes oldish chris

Now who would have guessed:
Quote:
The boss of RBS tells the BBC that a software change was responsible for the widespread computer problems affecting millions of customers' bank accounts.
?

When did computer programmers first realise that an upgrade was the best way to re-introduce errors into software?

I can afford to be smug (this time), I'm with the Coop.
Jamanda

I think the worst effected were the people packed into a van, moving home, who's cash failed to move across. I'm sure it'll be sorted, but must have been a worrying time.

You want to change that "effected" before M-J gets here.
Went

I think the worst effected were the people packed into a van, moving home, who's cash failed to move across. I'm sure it'll be sorted, but must have been a worrying time.

You want to change that "effected" before M-J gets here. Nah.. . Nick

You want to change that "effected" before M-J gets here.

Done.
oldish chris

I have contingency plans to cater for bank screw-ups. Two bank accounts (one branch-based, one online), other separate savings accounts with other financial institutions (including National Savings) and a couple of cash stashes in the house. Plus a good store cupboard.

It doesn't mean I can't be caught out, but at least I've got some chance of not being completely penniless and powerless if one bank fails. If the internet failed I'd be stuffed, but then, so would everyone else. And I would have cash and food for a few weeks (assuming prices didn't rocket).

I'm lucky that I have the resources to do all that, many people don't. Just checked with my wife, we have enough in a separate bank account to last a month or more (at current expenditure rates). Chez

Lots of places don`t **like ** cash payments.We get quite a lot of cash in birthday/christmas cards, from our residents.Try going into Comet, and trying to pay for a laptop with cash! Rolling Eyes

One of my fondest memories of my father is going to buy a car with him, back in about 1985 and him haggling the poor dealer down by a large amount, before sort of settling on a price; and then pulling five grand in notes out of his pocked and asking 'And the discount for cash is ...?'

I miss him Smile
john of wessex

I pay Housing Benefit so spent a bit of time this morning trying to see if our payments had gone to the customers bank accounts.

Fortunatley they had

But then pay days Thursday.............
DawnMK

had a chat withthem in the bank this morning as its still not sorted, they hope to get it sorted by the week end Shocked they have been giving priority to personal accounts and then bussiness accounts Shocked they are working from present day backwards Shocked so the card payments we took in the shop last week that are not showing on our account proberbly wont be there until the week end, but the ones we take this week are there Rolling Eyes robkb

My wages turned up as normal.

So did mine. Hurrah, that's one less hassle to deal with (with apologies to those still trying to sort it out Sad Sad )
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home