Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
tahir

Blinking big heat pump

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31506073

Very sexy
Falstaff

Ammonia @ 120 degrees C and 50 Bar (700 lbs/sq inch) Shocked

Don't want any "Gas-safe plummers" working on THAT ! Laughing
dpack

a very tidy bit of kit .the only downside is the water will be a little colder for a bracing dip in the sea.

i wonder how many uk sites are suitable ?i spose a lot of available water near a population centre are the main factors.

i recon that covers most of the big ports and quite a few coastal towns
tahir

a very tidy bit of kit .the only downside is the water will be a little colder for a bracing dip in the sea.

Yes, but plenty of large bodies of water are being affected by global warming...
dpack

i expect a pump system only adds a little energy ,ie the pumps,and basically just moves heat from big n wet outdoors to warm and cosy indoors and then thermodynamics 2 moves it back outside .

if the electricity for the pumps was from tidal would it be an energy neutral system?
tahir

if the electricity for the pumps was from tidal would it be an energy neutral system?

I guess so
dpack

im sure a huge chunk of the global population live close to suitable big water .

what nice tech Cool
Behemoth

I'm wondering about it's economic scalability and application by the water industry. We already use sludge as fuel, would be nice to use the cold water entering treatment works to power them. vegplot

Nice system and a good demonstrator of a large scale application. dpack

i suspect the max temp of the transfer gas(nh3) which is 120c in this kit would be too low for efficient steam generation (for leccy) .

i assume the water industry uses gravity to shift liquids ,i would think that the moving water tech would be one way to get leccy
tahir

I'm wondering about it's economic scalability and application by the water industry. We already use sludge as fuel, would be nice to use the cold water entering treatment works to power them.

You must have potential for heat exchange all over the place
Behemoth

Might be able to sell heating to locals though?

We do use gravity where possible but there's a lot of mechanical equipment and people in flat places that requires power and pumping. We have investigated in line turbines on gravity fed supplies in pennines etc but returns at great and it can affect the pressure of supply. Raw water transfer systems may offer more potential but the Victorians generally designed them with low gradients. We are putting some hydro trubines in when some remedial work is done on the weirs on the river aire which will allow migratory fish up it again. Have you seen the new wid turbine in East Leeds?
dpack

selling heating to locals might be a good idea ,all the hot bathwater etc is under their homes so the heat is quite local to the consumer and if the kit could be developed to work in a main sewer getting some of the energy back might be possible Nick

Ammonia @ 120 degrees C and 50 Bar (700 lbs/sq inch) Shocked

Don't want any "Gas-safe plummers" working on THAT ! Laughing

Because they're Polish? Wink
Mistress Rose

Interesting article. There is a lot of potential for extracting heat from 'waste' from all sorts of systems, and I think this is often preferable to extracting it from ordinary water, both in terms of efficiency and ecological effects. It is well known that dischargin warm water affects the ecology of an area, and extracting too much heat must have an effect too. Where you have tidal flow, such as London, or a large volume of water running out of a river, this would be far less marked though. mal55

It seems a pretty good idea to me. The Norwegians are also looking at producing electricity using the interface between saline and fresh groundwater. That would give them practically free heat once the system was in place. Ty Gwyn

Does make you think why they still mine coal near the artic circle,in a big way. dpack

you cant make steel with heat pumped heat.

coal to coke +iron ore is one of the reasons coal is popular in sweden
Ty Gwyn

Agree,but they also export a lot of it as well,

And considering the conservation area its mined in,one would think it was better to obtain it from the other side of the World[as we do] where Green issue`s don`t come into it.
dpack

Sweden first hadeeth Sweden green

Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home