Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Pat

Blood in egg

Have got Black Rock hens 8/9 months old.Just cracked an egg and it was full of blood and membrane.I have had a hen laying double yolks for some weeks could it be the same hen or related.Would appreciate any info as I have'nt had this prob with previous hens.All hens appear healthy and are wormed.Thanks
Rob R

Could it have been sat for any length of time or was it freshly laid? Might they have had access to a cock?
judith

I think this is the sort of thing that "just happens" once in a while, like the blood or "meat" spots that occur. Some sort of hiccup occurs on the production line. I think some hens are more prone to these hiccups, but there isn't much that can be done about them short of not breeding from that particular hen.
Fiveravens

I had a hen laid an egg like that once; I was very wary about her subsequent eggs, but they were all fine. It's just one of those things that happen.
Pat

blood in egg

Well that sets my mind at rest a bit.It was a very fresh egg laid the day before and no they do not have access to a cock.I have no idea which hen laid it I have 16 of them and I haven't managed yet to find the one who is doing the double yolker.Short of taking a packed lunch and taking up residence in the hut I never will discover who it is!Thanks folks
Pat
Rob R

Re: blood in egg

Pat wrote:
Well that sets my mind at rest a bit.It was a very fresh egg laid the day before and no they do not have access to a cock.I have no idea which hen laid it I have 16 of them and I haven't managed yet to find the one who is doing the double yolker.Short of taking a packed lunch and taking up residence in the hut I never will discover who it is!Thanks folks
Pat

There is a way, if you ever need it, a 'catching' nest box with a prop inside that is dislodged as the hen enters & causes a door to swing into place & you can identify the culprit. Of course, unless you have a bank of 16 of such nest boxes, you will have to separate them off in small batches until you discover the one that does it.
Pat

Thanks for the tip Rob.Up to now no more double yolks and no eggs with blood in.
Had a look at your shop and have to say you are selling your eggs way too 'cheep'.Check out what the big supermarkets are selling so called 'free range'for.
I am inundated with people wanting eggs and only have a limited number unfortunately.living in Leeds we don't seem to have the space you folks have in the East Riding!!
I was over your way about 3 weeks ago and if I'd known about your shop I'd have called in and bought some. Where abouts are you exactly?
Blue Sky

Please stop talking about Leeds and the East Riding of Yorkshire .... you are making me feel homesick!

We left that area to start a new life of self-sufficiency here in most rural France and now I find myself being hounded by you "Yorkies" and making me wish I had stayed put Crying or Very sad

NO, not really ... we are glad to be out here, but we do miss good ole Yorkshire for some things - most especially those good old country cheeses! crybaby
Pat

Serves you right for leaving Gods own county!Fancy going to live with the frogs legs eaters.There is plenty wrong with this country at the moment but the wreckers in power won't be there for ever.I can understand people getting cheesed off but I was at the top of Garrowby a few weeks ago and what a view of the harvest being gathered.I would love to have a bit of land there to run the old horse on and lots of chucks but I have to say if I was offered it free abroad I'd turn it down.Just call me a europhile!
Yorkshire through and through!
Let us know if you need any Wensleydale sending!!
Pat

Hope you didn't 'take the hump' simon I was only joking.I blame this zany Yorks sense of humour!
Gertie

Pat and I could always come and pay you, Zoe and the boys a visit Wink

Mind you, we cannot forget Behemoth, Nora and mrsnesbitt! Laughing
Rob R

Pat wrote:
Where abouts are you exactly?

We only have an electronic shop at present, but the farm is situated between York & Howden, off the B1228
mandycharlie

Rob I just had a look at what Pat was saying about selling your eggs too cheap.

I sell my surplus for £1.00 per half dozen.. I always have takers...Smile
Rob R

mandycharlie wrote:
I sell my surplus for £1.00 per half dozen.. I always have takers...Smile

Local factors are at play too though- two years ago a large free range unit went up just up the road & the market is pretty much flooded round here. Rolling Eyes
Pat

blood in egg

I reckon I know where you are Rob B1228 is that the road that passes R&R country.If it is I was over there getting some haylage not long ago from a farm but can't remember the name.
Next time i'm in area I'll take some eggs off you if thats OK.I hear what you say about the market In Leeds folk are paying ridiculous amounts for so called free range from supermarkets.At the moment I'm selling mine for 75p half dozen as they are only medium size.However I don't have enough for the amount of people who want them.
What you need is Tom Parker Bowles to promote your shop in his column in Mail on Sunday.Folk in London would probably pay £10 adozen.LOL.
Rob R

Re: blood in egg

Pat wrote:
I reckon I know where you are Rob B1228 is that the road that passes R&R country.

No, that is the A63, which dissects the B1228 at Howden.
Pat

Well I have to say Rob your eggs are very nice indeed.As you know from your Mum I took quite a few .I needed to get a friend of mine 'off my back' I can't supply her with the amount she eats.Her opinion was that they were nice indeed.
Will call in next time I get over your way.
Cheers
Pat Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home