Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Chez

Blueberries

Should my blueberry leaves be yellowy-green? Or do I need to feed them? If so, with what?
tahir

You need to feed them, are they in tubs? Probably ericaceous feed but no expert on blubberys
Chez

Thanks - have just planted them out in the garden, they're only about two feet tall. I've got some ericaceous stuff, I'll throw some at them.
tahir

I'll throw some at them.

That's not nice!
NorthernMonkeyGirl

At least yours HAVE leaves.... Embarassed
Mistress Rose

Is your soil acid Chez? They don't like chalk or lime at all, so they might be suffering from chlorosis if there is any. You can get chelated feed which might help in that case.
Tavascarow

They will struggle in lime soils & the leaves will show your symptoms (Chlorosis). If you want to persist in growing them in soil that is alkaline feed well & mulch heavily with pine needles every year. A layer about 4 to 6 inches deep out as far as the branches reach.
onemanband

I was wondering about my blueberry - it doesn't look too good this year - quite a few dead ends, leafage a bit sparse.
Should it have flowered yet ?
Is about 3 foot tall. I potted up into a v.large pot of ericacious compost 3 years ago and crops have been v.good. All I've done is water it.
Suppose I need to feed it ?
Bark chip ? (I happen to be selling it by the lorry load atm) I guess bulk of it is pine.
Treacodactyl

Yes, blueberries need very acid, ideally pH of 5.5 or lower. Mine are flowering now and are probably coming to the end of flowering. They seem to be prone to the odd bare twig but there should be plenty of new growth.

I've used a little ericaceous fertiliser to pep them up, and freshly gathered decaying pine needles as a mulch. I only do this in spring and I note the RHS say feed container grown blueberries monthly. Shocked

If yours is in a large tub it may also be worth checking it hasn't got too dry or become waterlogged.
Chez

I'm on sandstone soil. Thanks folks, that's very helpful - I will sort out the relevant things and get some pine needles from the hill.
Jam Lady

Pine needles are very slow to decompose and IMHO do not do much to acidify the soil in any timely manner. Spent tea leaves are more helpful.

Look for chelated iron - USA brand is Sequestrene. Dissolve in water and slosh on. Alternative - magnesium sulphate, which is my go to for chlorotic potted citrus.

Test the pH of your water. If it is pH 6 or higher that can also cause issues.
Mistress Rose

We used to get Sequestrene here too Jam Lady, but haven't used it for some time. We managed to grow azaleas on a bank made with old plaster using regular doses of tea leaves, so they do work quite well.
Chez

Tea leaves are not something we are short of in this household. Top tip, thanks Smile
Slim

Don't just go throwing stuff on willy nilly. GET A SOIL TEST, or at the very least use pH strips or a borrow someone's handheld meter.

Elemental sulfur is often needed/useful for long lasting pH reduction
LynneA

I keep the dregs from the teapot to use as ericaceous feed and decant them into a bottle to add to the watering can.

Remember tap water is almost always slightly alkaline, so use rainwater wherever possible.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home