Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Bugs

Books for bee-ginners

I'm probably going to buy: The Barefoot Beekeeper

Any other recommendations for beginners with a natural bent?

I did once borrow the Ted Hooper book from the library but found it a bit much to begin with if that helps.
The intention is probably to join a beekeeping group/course in autumn/winter but in the meantime we'd like to read up a little bit about what we'd be getting ourselves in to.

The reviews of the Haynes manual (!) seem good and the first one says: "In East Devon we now recommend it as the best beekeeping beginners' book, and we provide it on our course."

*edited to add an appalling pun
alison

I would go to the North Devon apairy now, as people will be there weekly, and you can get hands on now, with loads of tuition. In the winter it is maintenance of the grounds and buildings.
Barefoot Andrew

bee-ginners - Laughing
A.
Bugs

Thanks - for various reasons we probably won't be doing it this year unfortunately so a book is the first step so that I have something to hook all the new knowledge on to...

I think I might just take a punt on the two books anyway as I am sure they will come in useful eventually.
Tavascarow

I've only just read it myself after being recommended here.
Storch At The Hive Entrance.
Priceless.
& don't discount the internet either.
Michael Bush's bee pages are packed with good info, including reprints of some classic bee literature.
David Heafs translation of
Abbé Émile Warrés Beekeeping for All.
& many blogs by beekeepers from all over the world sharing their experiences.
tai haku

Re: Books for bee-ginners

I'm probably going to buy: The Barefoot Beekeeper

Any other recommendations for beginners with a natural bent?

I did once borrow the Ted Hooper book from the library but found it a bit much to begin with if that helps.
The intention is probably to join a beekeeping group/course in autumn/winter but in the meantime we'd like to read up a little bit about what we'd be getting ourselves in to.

The reviews of the Haynes manual (!) seem good and the first one says: "In East Devon we now recommend it as the best beekeeping beginners' book, and we provide it on our course."

*edited to add an appalling pun

haynes is defo easier to get on with than hooper. it also has excellent colour pictures that can be quite useful as a beginner. Most of that stuff is available on the internet but it's quite nice to have it all in one portable place.
sarahp1

I have A Practical Manual of Beekeeping: How to Keep Bees and Develop Your Full Potential as an Apiarist by David Cramp and love it.
Would add not to leave your freshly harvested super on the patio table for the bees to find the following morning though... but everyone needs their beginner's blunder.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home