Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
boisdevie1

Boosting WiFi signal

What the best way to get a WiFi signal into an outhouse/shed. Currently the signal won't reach even to the end of the house (stone walls) so how can I boost it as far as the shed. Said shed will be insulated (foil backed) so would I be better off trying to run a cable? Can I run a cable from the router out to the shed and then plug cable into a WiFi doodah?
wellington womble

You can buy a wifi booster. You plug them in where they can reach the wifi and they extend the range. I bought one when I thought I would need wifi in the garage for the solar, but it turns out it's all in the cellar, so I haven't tried it yet. I will, because our wifi doesn't reach to the end of the house, either.
Nick

Does the shed have power? If so a pair of power line adapted are the way forward.
dpack

iirc cable length is a factor. that said cables are better at carrying a signal through walls than wifi .

if the shed is a farraday cage wires are the best option even if they need a booster inline to make up for the loss due to resistance.
boisdevie1

Shed has power. Shed has thick masonry walls and foil backed insulation so I think perhaps Ethernet cable and a second router?
buzzy

We have an aerial in the static van that picks up the wifi signal from my router in the house(fifty yards away) and just plugs into Jaki's laptop. It works pretty well, though it was a bit of a pain to set up.

Cable will work as well, but is vulnerable to rodents and men with scythes (guess how I know Wink ). If you have a way of shielding said cable from external stress that might be the simplest option. Fifty yards worked for a while.

Henry
Nick

Shed has power. Shed has thick masonry walls and foil backed insulation so I think perhaps Ethernet cable and a second router?

Power line adapters. Why lay cable when what you need is already there?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/netgear-powerline-500-essentials-edition-a72tc?cmpid=ppc&gclid=CP_CtZumpcwCFRIUGwodAvsM1w
Hairyloon

What Nick said, but maybe shop around more.
Also, I have heard that you can use a WiFi router as a booster. Since many ISP's seem to give away routers at the drop of a hat, you can probably pick one up for next to nowt or less.
Shane

Another vote for Nick. I use these and they're brilliant. They're passthrough, too, which means that you don't even have to lose a plug socket.
OtleyLad

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/netgear-powerline-500-essentials-edition-a72tc?cmpid=ppc&gclid=CP_CtZumpcwCFRIUGwodAvsM1w

I've used this method to provide wifi in my garden shed office and the nearby decking - its faster than the standard house wifi as well.
jema

I use Tp-link poweline adapters, they can have the odd funny 5 mins, but they do work in general. We have 2 slaves, one in my office which only otherwise gets a weak signal and one in the garage helping out with garage and summer house. wellington womble

If I bought such a device, is there any reason why I couldn't plug them into the 50m extension lead that I use when I want power in the field?
Nick

Nope. wellington womble

Hmmm. There may be people who won't leave....

Ta
buzzy

If I bought such a device, is there any reason why I couldn't plug them into the 50m extension lead that I use when I want power in the field?

Can anyone tell me, from experience, if these powerline adapters have to be on the same ring circuit to work, or is being on the same household fuseboard enough?

Henry
OtleyLad

Can anyone tell me, from experience, if these powerline adapters have to be on the same ring circuit to work, or is being on the same household fuseboard enough?

Henry

They don't have to be on the same circuit, however, should one of the circuits trip, then the signal will be cut. But then you'd more than likely realise this at the time.
Hairyloon

I know that you can get some pretty impressive WiFi boosters: last week I found a fair signal in wood about 1/4 mile from the nearest house... I may go knock on doors next time I'm over that way and ask what it is they're using. buzzy

I know that you can get some pretty impressive WiFi boosters: last week I found a fair signal in wood about 1/4 mile from the nearest house... I may go knock on doors next time I'm over that way and ask what it is they're using.

Perhaps the signal was from one of these modern fancy wildlife cameras, which apparently send pictures by wifi?

Henry
Hairyloon

I know that you can get some pretty impressive WiFi boosters: last week I found a fair signal in wood about 1/4 mile from the nearest house... I may go knock on doors next time I'm over that way and ask what it is they're using.

Perhaps the signal was from one of these modern fancy wildlife cameras, which apparently send pictures by wifi?
Possibly, but from where would they be picking up the signal?
buzzy

Only that some such devices say in the instructions that they are only to be plugged into a wall socket, not into a trailing socket.

Henry
buzzy

Henry

They don't have to be on the same circuit, however, should one of the circuits trip, then the signal will be cut. But then you'd more than likely realise this at the time.

Unfortunately the one I bought does not work if not plugged into the same circuit - says so in the instructions and trial and error proves this to be so. Crying or Very sad

Henry
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home