Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Slim

Brilliant woodworker on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/Matthiaswandel/videos

Matthias Wandel comes out with interesting videos (in a geeky kind of way) maybe twice a week.

I don't do much woodworking right now, but he sure as heck is influencing anything I'll be doing from now on.

Just thought folks might be interested. (plus he lives in Canada so you folks will mostly get metric stuff, but I still get the occasional English measurement thrown out from him)
Mistress Rose

By the look of that he has some interesting videos. Haven't looked at any yet, but he seems to be quite inventive. I use metric and imperial measurements Slim as well as some even older ones such as cubit and cord. I used imperial only until I was 11, then learnt cgs (centimetre gram second) then we had to convert to SI when I was in my teens. Never did get the hang of some of the units, and use a mixture depending on what I am doing. Cookery and sewing is usually in imperial, wood is measured by the cu m, and most other stuff is metric in some form or another. Hedging stakes are put in a cubit apart, and some people still measure wood in cords, so need to have an idea of what it is.
Slim

Isn't the metric firewood measurement basically modeled to be about equivalent to a cord? (which is still how we measure cordwood here). It's just so easy to visualize - a sheet of plywood stacked half a sheet of plywood high is a cord. (I have a fondness for antiquated units. A lot of the properties here were measured in rods)

When you use imperial measurements for cooking, are you using mass or volume? I've seen many recipes not translate well between mass measurements and volume measurements... Laughing
Mistress Rose

A cord is a bit over 2 cu m. 4' x4'x 8', as 1 m is 38.6" .

Most of the old recipes I have are in imperial, so no problem. Some modern ones give both, but some I have to use a different set of scales that have metric. I always use weight, not cups as you tend to I think. Some just get slightly muddled, like my usual bread recipe for the breadmaker which uses 1lb 2 oz of flour but 400ml of water.

As I said before, I can use either. Very Happy
Dee J

Cooking measurements Slim....
Mostly imperial volume for liquids and imperial weight for solids except for small quantities where the teaspoon takes over.
Never did get on with recipes in cups and the cup to weight or volume conversions seem very inconsistent.
Slim

Dee J
Did you mean metric when you said Imperial? (otherwise I'm not sure why the teaspoon would suddenly be taking over?)

I'm comfortable using both systems as well (day to day life in English units, and life in the lab and scientific writing in metric), but I'm not great at doing conversions between the two in my head, and absolutely love that google and wolframalpha can figure most any conversion that I'm second guessing or otherwise unsure of. I also second check my metric prefixes as well, as I didn't grow up with them as much.
vegplot

Re: Brilliant woodworker on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/Matthiaswandel/videos

Matthias Wandel comes out with interesting videos (in a geeky kind of way) maybe twice a week.

I don't do much woodworking right now, but he sure as heck is influencing anything I'll be doing from now on.

Just thought folks might be interested. (plus he lives in Canada so you folks will mostly get metric stuff, but I still get the occasional English measurement thrown out from him)

I've seen quite of few of his videos and enjoy them a lot. Very creative.
Mistress Rose

No, imperial is what we call the lb-yard-second system, but remembering that we use different measures to yours in some cases. Gallons is one that I am familiar with being different, as we had a plating bath that had to have additions in oz per US gallon. When we went metric it was in g per US gallon. For some reason the American makers couldn't get out of the US gallon measurement.
vegplot

Furlongs per fortnight.
Mistress Rose

The way I am feeling now, it could be Vegplot. Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home