Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Woo

Broody Again

My light sussex which hatched 7 chicks in May has gone decidedly broody again. She is in fine condition, was back among the others and free ranging in the poulerie. She is now in a nest box on some plastic eggs flat as a spatchcock and growling, while I ponder what is best to do.
Would you let her have another go this year?
I have a Brahma hatching some chicks today so could accommodate more in 3 weeks.
She was a lovely Mother to the 7 she had and not bothered by the attention the children gave her.
thoughts? please Very Happy
dpack

if she wants to sit she will be an ace mum.pamper her and arrange a new clutch ,a good broody is a wonderful asset .
Woo

if she wants to sit she will be an ace mum.pamper her and arrange a new clutch ,a good broody is a wonderful asset .

Thank you for your reply.
I have been cleaning out the broody coop this morning in preparation.
I do feel fortunate. I have hatched for the first time this year and am quite chuffed with the effort my girls have put in.
I have 15 pullets racing about my feet in the mornings as well as 5 cheeky Muscovy ducklings so a few more wont hurt! Very Happy
Woo

There was lots of unsettled noises and a quick circuit of the field while the others looked on quite alarmed, but she has snuggled down on 12 eggs and is looking quite happy with it.Very Happy

My Brahma has 6 little cuties snuggled around her this evening.
This is the bit of chicken keeping I really was looking forward to.It sort of makes up for the clearing our mountains of poo in the rain and wind and cold!
chickenlady

Agree...makes it all worthwhile Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home