Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Cathryn

broody and day olds

Is it hypothetically possible to pop day old chicks under a broody hen at about the time her own would have hatched and for her to accept them? I would rather a hen raised them than me because she would probably be better at it Smile but I also thought that we could increase our chances of getting hen bantams rather than cocks as I know some can be sexed (maybe not 100%) at day old (rather than setting eggs under her). (Can you hear my next question? Laughing )
Rob R

Re: broody and day olds

ruby wrote:
Is it hypothetically possible to pop day old chicks under a broody hen at about the time her own would have hatched and for her to accept them?

It is- their first instincts are triggered by hearing the chicks at hatching & it increases her chances of taking to them if you can slip them under by hand without her seeing them.
Cathryn

Thanks Rob - I was thinking that it would save me having to buy all the equipment as well but of course I would have to have it just in case she didn't accept them. I would love to see a hen with her chicks though so I think I will suggest to my daughter (as they are her hens Wink ) that we try this in the spring. So on to my next question Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home