Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
lynseyt

Broody hen at this time of year?

Hi there - hope someone can help?

I have 3 bantams (1 is a cockerel) already and about 3 weeks ago we bought 3 large hens which were all laying. The first day I had the 3 large hens, the Red Hampshire went off and laid in the haybarn (whilst the others all used and are still using the coop) but we made the mistake of taking her off the egg and puttingher in the nest box to encourage her to lay there and since then we have never found an egg she has laid. We think she has been laying but cant find anything (they have the free run of 4 acres). She seemed fit, healthy and very happy so cant understand if she suddenly stopped laying. However this was the least of my problems as she has now disappeared completely (on Monday morning). One option is the dreaded fox (but no sign of stress in other chickens, no feathers and no sightings of a fox nearby in last year. Could she be sitting on a clutch of eggs somewhere at the back of the hay barn behind all the bales of hay (do they go to that much bother to find a secure nest)? But isnt it wrong time of year for this? Too cold? What do I do, will she hatch them and just appear with her brood one day? Help - if she has been taken by a fox then nothing I can do now for her but if she is on her eggs I need to know what to do! Any advice appreciated.
Treacodactyl

One of our Buff Sussex hens is trying to go broody again, for the third time this year. Shocked
judith

First you need to find your hen!
When you do find her, you will have to keep her confined to barracks for a while, so she gets used to laying in the coop.
Then you will have to decide whether to let her keep sitting on the eggs. Personally I wouldn't, unless you could keep her indoors with the chicks for a few weeks. It is getting too cold and damp IMO.
If you just keep taking the eggs from under her, she will get the message eventually.

Good luck!
lynseyt

Thanks for replying Judith. If I cant find her will she just hatch them herself and bring them out when she is ready? Unfortunately I think she has probably been taken by a fox so her appearing in just wishful thinking. Sad
judith

If she has found herself somewhere safe to sit, then yes, she should reappear sooner or later with chicks in tow. If she does, don't worry too much. Although the conditions aren't ideal and I wouldn't deliberately start eggs off hatching now, if she is a good Mum she will keep the chicks warm and dry.
I'm a bit concerned that you haven't seen her at all, though, I would expect her to come out now and again to eat, drink and poo.
Gertie

I hope she is tucked up safe, somewhere cosy and sitting it out.

Apart from at the back of the haybarn, is there anywhere obvious that she could be hiding? (er, if you know what I mean!).
Gertie

BTW - our friend has a couple of broody hens at the moment!
portwayfarm

My mum has a broody hen forget what she is but she has just hatched 2 bantam eggs. One chick is there the other has been eaten (my dad thinks by her as it was there this morning and not there now), no other chickens get access to her and she has her own coop. The bantams laid and she then shooed them off and sat on the eggs. So mum and dad left her to it and gave it no more thought thinking it was too cold for the eggs to hatch..... just goes to show! Shocked
judith

Just had a call from my neighbour. I had given him half a dozen fertile eggs because one of his hens was broody. He just rang to say that four have hatched so far today. There must be something in the air!
lynseyt

Alas, I found some tell tale feathers at the back of the horses paddock today, just a few but enough to make me realise that we are not about to be proud parents but my lovely friendly hen has fed some horrible hungry fox. I hope it was quick for her and at least I knew she had a lovely life up that point. She always was very brave and venturing off on her own.

Thanks for all the replies - just hope the fox doesnt get too brave and come nearer the house and find the others.
JKLawrence

What a sad end to the story! Sorry to hear of your loss. At least she had the pleasure of a free roaming life.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home