Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Woo

Broody hen joy

I am so excited and pleased its mad! one of my light sussex hens has all the signs of broodiness. she was hogging one of the nest boxes all afternoon. she then came charging out after one of the ducks who had been bugging her, gave her what for then charged straight back and flattened herself to the floor of the nest box. when i offered her 2 more eggs she scooted them under her chest and settled again. the ducks kept going back in to bug her.( she has settled on 3 of her eggs!)
I took the descision to move her into a quieter spot and have her in a small house on her own. fingers crossed she will be ok.
i plan to substitute the duck eggs in the morning. they can go into the duck nest. i am being hopeless optimistic about that particular nest. its all the eggs the first duck has laid. (15)
i am taking the lets see what they do approach.
Nicky Colour it green

yay!
Chez

They are SO funny, I have one sat on pekin eggs atm and her language is disgraceful Smile
Annette H

We have an elderly light sussex broody at the moment. After a week turfing her out so that I can collect the eggs I have put her in a broody coop with few eggs. She has never hatched chicks before and this will probably be her last and only chance due to her age.

She has a bit of a Downsizery connection, she came from one of Lorraines eggs and she is sitting on some maran eggs from Sue's (darkbrowneggs) girls. Smile
Chez

I love the fact that ds has now been going so long that we have entire poultry dynasties based on it!
woody guthrie

We have a Silkie that seems to spend most of her life broody and has hatched a good few chicks so we have put 6 call duck eggs under her a few days ago. As she has only ever reared chickens she's in for a surprise if she hatches them out, which begs the question, does a broody hen ever reject ducks or they daft enough to foster anything with feathers?
Chez

I've done it a handful of times now and they've always taken them. You do end up with a semi-hysterical chicken when the duckling discover water, though - the old 'my babies are drowning! my babies are drowning!' routine never gets old Smile
Nicky Colour it green

I've done it a handful of times now and they've always taken them. You do end up with a semi-hysterical chicken when the duckling discover water, though - the old 'my babies are drowning! my babies are drowning!' routine never gets old Smile

so true

the ducklings don't respond to the hen like chicks do - so she calls them to safety - they stay out, but still they seem to rear them - better that than in the house. I have made self imposed ban on ducklings in the house... the mess they make is unbelievable
Chez

I have made self imposed ban on ducklings in the house... the mess they make is unbelievable

Yep. I've had three lots by lamp this year. The first were a decent batch, that I had in the brooder til ten days then under a lamp in the greenhouse. Then three and two, that stayed with the chicks for three weeks then got moved outside in to a house with plenty of straw. It seemed to work okay. They don't go under the hen like chicks do, just sleep in a big heap.

After the year before last when I had twelve and kept them in the brooder for a month, I swore I'd never do it like that again.
Woo

My broody has been doing really well, sat tight, too tight at times, and had hardly been venturing out. the same bowl of food has sat for 3 days in easy reach.
today as it was fine i left the door open so she could venture out as required for a poo etc. she has exclusive access to a smallish grass run.
i had to take no 3 to the hospital in Le Man to get his cast off so left no1 with instructions to check on her etc.
he is 13 so should be able to rememeber that, i thought.
i have just been round and found she had absconded her run, through or over fence and settled herself on the pile of effing duck eggs left wanting.
i have popped her back on her nest but the eggs were pretty cool. she settled right down but do they stand a chance?
Chez

Our local gamekeeper says 24 hours off doesn't hurt them too badly, so fingers crossed she'll be fine - specially if they are quite far along. Woo

Our local gamekeeper says 24 hours off doesn't hurt them too badly, so fingers crossed she'll be fine - specially if they are quite far along.
Thanks Chez.
She seems fine now. i will keep her door shut a bit more tomorrow.
on another positive note, I got pecked by another hen tonight when i went to shut them up. she was, unusually for her, on the nest of duck eggs.
there was the inevitable grumbling from the ducks who wanted to spend the night ruining her eggs.
oh the joy of poultry keeping. Rolling Eyes
frewen

Even my blinking hens have gone broody. I've got two jointly incubating one clutch ! Shocked wellington womble

I love the way they go flat. They remind of spatchcocked chicken! gythagirl

Our bantam broody gave up when 'her' two water babies joined the other ducks - she just faded away, I swear of a broken heart Sad Chez

I've got them all over the place - they all went simultaneously when the weather got a bit warmer! Woo

Cheep, cheep, cheep Very Happy Piggyphile

Fingers crossed for you Woo.

I have a broody been sitting firmly for over a week and she is only around 8 months old. She is one of my utility crosses so not a silky or bantam. Is this normal for one so young?
Woo

Fingers crossed for you Woo.

I have a broody been sitting firmly for over a week and she is only around 8 months old. She is one of my utility crosses so not a silky or bantam. Is this normal for one so young?

I don't know to be honest, but who knows what part of the gene pool she came from!! good luck to you too.

Very Happy
Chez

I think it can be. If you're going to use her, though, view it as a trial run; you never know whether they're going to be psychotic before you give them a chance. Cathryn

I've got them all over the place - they all went simultaneously when the weather got a bit warmer!

What do you do? Try and break it or just leave them to get on with sitting on nothing. The broody is starting to look very ragged but she is also very determined.
Chez

I've got half a dozen broody coops that I fill up with the sensible ones. Then I usually just move the culprit in to a house with a different cockerel, and she's so outraged that she breaks. Woo

6 hatched 1 still trying. they are Brahma and brahma x sussex (I think)
[/img]
Chez

Pretty! woody guthrie

The Silkie hatched three call ducks yesterday, one other chick was dead in partially hatched shell and two others haven't pipped at all. Three out of six isn't too bad as I've read these small call ducks are quite difficult to hatch.

Another broody, a Silkie and Sussex cross is sitting on 5 Indian game eggs due today and I noticed a couple of fluffy heads popping out under a wing this morning so some success there as well. These broody hens are brilliant.

Chez

She's a gold-top, isn't she? I tried to hatch some last year to use as broodies, but didn't have any success - posted eggs I think. Great reliable mothers. woody guthrie

Yes Chez, we hatched out 5 of them last year after crossing our Silky Cockerel and Sussex hen. All 5 of them are mad broodies and good layers when not brooding. Woo

they are lovely photos.
I am constantly amazed by nature. Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home