Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Cathryn

Broody

Half my hens are now broody. No sooner do I remove one to a coop with some eggs then another takes over the nesting box. Rolling Eyes I am hatching enough guinea fowl, some large birds to eat, some bantam orpingtons and some lovely brown welsummer eggs (for a neighbour). I don't want to hatch ducks unless they are wild types or small for the pond. I have crossed off peacocks as they will destroy the garden and make terrifying noises. Any other suggestions?
chez

I can get you some peacock eggs, you know.

What about rhea?
Cathryn

We have just casually been discussing rhea. We thought she could just about manage to balance on top of two.

No. I wouldn't know what on earth to do with them and I cannot see them free ranging. Actually that's not true, freeranging down on the beach. That would make a memorable holiday for quite a few children. Smile
TTouch Homestead

Goose eggs? Question Might be less of a perilous perch for her.

Happy to say I finally have a broody hen
Cathryn

I think that I will hatch something like mallards if anything. Don't hold me to this though. Was it me that said I wouldn't be hatching anything this year?
chez

Mallards are horrid. They are violent, promiscuous and noisy. What about some pretty little call ducks?

Or, what about these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Pet-Supplies-/1281/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=pheasant+eggs

Lots of pretty kinds to have pottering about. Don't get the melanistic ones, though, I understand they fly really well Smile
Cathryn

She's changed her mind although I suspect only briefly.
Melli-Jane

how about some turkeys....
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home