Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Wood child

Brown Bears and other names

Why do people choose such strange names for forums? I'm guilty as well, you may have guessed , my name's not Wood child, but it's an interesting phenomenon of our obsession with identity. Deep, eh?[/i]
Brownbear

Mine came by courtesy of my wife, she claims a certain physical resemblance between me and a damned great bear, not least in the way I tend to hibernate rather than merely sleep.
Duckhead

My user name translates to displaced persons. That is what we are since we had an earthquake last year. When we bump into someone else in our position we tend to salute each other as sfollati, as in "hello my equally homeless friend"
sally_in_wales

I'm always some variation on sally, never got the hang of pretending to be anyone else, inwales is just cos thats where I happen to be mostly these days Very Happy
Bodrighy

Mine is the name of the house I was born in down on the Lizard. The original was burned down about 20 years ago and he new owners took the h out of the name when they put new signs up. Never have been able to find out what it means, if anything

Pete
LynneA

It's my name. Elsewhere I use something that pinpoints our allotment, and has become a bit of a theme (blue shed)
Nell Merionwen

it is an abbreviation of my name and the name I was know as when a child. I'm named after my grandmother Nelly. She was a Helena.

Barefoot Luke because he often is.

Jellybat is Abbie's imaginary friend. He is a bat who only eats jelly and has purple wings, comes from Tintern and lives in the corner cupboard in the kitchen.
he is also a bit naughty and Abbie get the blame (naughty Jellybat)
Mr O

Mine was Mr Orange originaly, due to me being an avid pumpkin grower, It got abreviated to Mr O.
Bebo

Mine is what my nephew has called me since he was a baby. I think I played pee-po with him too much.
Mr O

Bebo wrote:
Mine is what my nephew has called me since he was a baby. I think I played pee-po with him too much.
What? In them Knickers?
Nell Merionwen

Mr O wrote:
Bebo wrote:
What? In them Knickers?

they go over her head you know....
Mr O

Nell wrote:
Mr O wrote:
Bebo wrote:
What? In them Knickers?

they go over her head you know....

it all went over mine Laughing
Nell Merionwen

*wonders if Jellybat will be embarrassed by this in the future*
Bebo

Nell wrote:

My invisible friend when I was a kid was called Scarfat.
Mr O

Bebo wrote:
Nell wrote:

My invisible friend when I was a kid was called Scarfat.

That probably is something that could be deep and meaningful, but perhaps not!
joanne

S'alright tell her not to worry - I kept a Godzilla like Dragon/Dinosaur in the fields across the road from my Dads when I was a kid - Think I'd been watching far too much Godzilla cartoons and Petes Dragon when I was little

My forum name is my name - Normally I'm AmethystDragon as I'm obsessed with Purple Sparkly things and Dragons but both on here and the RC forums I've always been myself
Chez

This is me. It started out as an ironic nickname when I was at college - along with Kazza and Hazza and Shazza on my course - and it's kind of stuck. People who know me initially through blogging call me something else, though. And my mother calls me by my given name Laughing
Barefoot Andrew

Nell wrote:
Barefoot Luke because he often is.

Much the same reasoning here Very Happy
A.
cir3ngirl

I'm a girl? and I come from Cirencester.

The 3 happened because somebody had it spelt with an e on another site so friend suggested a 3 instead.
12Bore

S'wot I use when I go to get Christmas dinner - from the woods, not Asda..... Wink
vegplot

I couldn't think of anything better at the time, it was very impromptu.
Nell Merionwen

vegplot wrote:

but does lend itself to fab derivatives ie Veggie Plotty, plotty veg man, vegus plottius,
and unrelated Chocolate man...
earthyvirgo

Because I am.
Earthy and a Virgo Smile

And also because I love my garden and getting my hands into the soil.

EV
Nell Merionwen

earthyvirgo wrote:
Because I am.
Earthy and a Virgo Smile

And also because I love my garden and getting my hands into the soil.

EV

Chocolate lady Very Happy Cool
vegplot

Nell wrote:
vegplot wrote:

but does lend itself to fab derivatives ie Veggie Plotty, plotty veg man, vegus plottius,

I rather like hisveggieness.
Nell Merionwen

vegplot wrote:
Nell wrote:
vegplot wrote:

*bows in the presence of*
vegplot

Nell wrote:
vegplot wrote:
Nell wrote:
vegplot wrote:

*stifles old joke*
Nell Merionwen

vegplot wrote:
Nell wrote:
vegplot wrote:
Nell wrote:
vegplot wrote:

*stifles old joke*

Rolling Eyes
Chez

earthyvirgo wrote:
Because I am.
Earthy and a Virgo Smile

I keep reading it as Earthyvirago, though Laughing Embarassed
earthyvirgo

Chez wrote:
earthyvirgo wrote:
Because I am.
Earthy and a Virgo Smile

I keep reading it as Earthyvirago, though Laughing Embarassed

Oh blimey!!
Not sure if that's good or bad Chez Smile

Strong (well, definitely not a wimp), brave (in some situations but don't stick me on an plane .. the flying type, brave goes straight out of the window) and warlike ...ummm, noooo, that's not really me is it?

EV
Chez

I don't think it's at all accurate. But it took ages before I stopped misreading it Laughing
vegplot

Chez wrote:
I don't think it's at all accurate. But it took ages before I stopped misreading it Laughing

She shoots guns (very well) and enjoys archery.
Rob R

I chose my name on the first forum I was a part of (think it was the BBC message boards) about 8 or 9 years ago, and I've taken it to every forum I've been a part of since.
Hairyloon

As someone on another forum said of me: does what it says on the tin.
mousjoos

Staying with family in Spain, the youngest girl found a dessicated mouse, whereupon I said it had no "mouse juice" left. She then waved it in my face shouting "no mouse juice". I was then presented with a picture of a dead mouse with the caption "No mous joos"
It sort of stuck after that
Fee

I charge.
Mary-Jane

sally_in_wales wrote:
I'm always some variation on sally, never got the hang of pretending to be anyone else...

Same here. 'Cept I'm Mary-Jane and not Sally. Obviously.
Matt the Rat

I'm told that I was called Matt the Rat as a toddler.

It is quite funny when I phone and give my name... "who?", "Matt the Rat", "Oh, hello Matt!"

I've been Matt the Rat on all the forums I've inhabited (quite a few), and many years ago, it was also my 'handle' on the CB.

I once had a postcard sent from New Zealand, to "Matt the Rat, Swimbridge, Devon". It arrived safely in no more time than if it had been properly addressed!! I've even had cheques payable to 'Matt the Rat'.

Wasn't there a fishmonger who changed his name by deed poll to "whatever the fish" ?
Mary-Jane

Matt the Rat wrote:
...it was also my 'handle' on the CB.

Ooooooh - showing your age there MtR Laughing
SheepShed

During lambing one year, my son had some friends over to stay.
One of them saw me emerging from the lambing barn and asked if I was his dad. "No", he replied, "that's just some old bloke who lives in the sheep shed". This became a running joke and the name of "sheep shed man" sort of stuck.
BahamaMama

I was born and brought up in the Bahamas. The large 'traditionally built' ladies were always referred to as BahamaMamas.

I am neither dark skinned or large but it reminds me of my (happy) past.
Bodger

But I am Bodger. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Nell Merionwen

bodger wrote:

but do you have a pet badger?
Bodger

a dyslexic one ? Laughing
12Bore

Nell wrote:
bodger wrote:

but do you have a pet badger?

Look out for the flying mashed potato! Laughing
mochyn

I'm mochyn because I live in Wales and keep pigs.
tahir

I'm tahir because I'm pure Wink

http://www.pickbabynames.com/Arabic/T/Tahir.html
mochyn

Yes, but for years I thought you were Tapir.

And in your house, of course, I'm Natasha Baggage.

While you're here: how do I send ics to sean from Irfanview?
Nicky Colour it green

i used colour it green as i already had a website with that name. we choice that name as we wanted a take anywhere with us domain name with a certain anonymity so we would not have to keep issuing new email addys. we both like the colour green..

Ironically i get called red in RL and use that on some forums.
Katieowl

Katieowl comes from an international cold caller to the house, who in very broken English asked to speak to "Miss Katie P. Owl Prease"

We all found this hilarious, as I'd never spotted that in my name before (Powell) , and I am rather fond of owls...so Katieowl it is in most internet places!

Kate
Spruengli

Spruengli is the cat's name.... (as in Lindt and Spruengli, he was a 'chocolate box' kitten Rolling Eyes ). I'm Jane. Spruengli's a more interesting name though Laughing Rolling Eyes
frewen

I've forgotten now Confused

Some days I seem to be Frewen more than my real name Smile
Rob R

Frewen wrote:
Some days I seem to be Frewen more than my real name Smile

You too!? Smile
tahir

mochyn wrote:

Save them to somewhere on your PC and then email them to him?
Lorrainelovesplants

Because I love plants...

Dont think Lorraineloveswine would have the same cachet....
mochyn

tahir wrote:
mochyn wrote:

Save them to somewhere on your PC and then email them to him?

I've been trying that. can't get it to 'take'!
tahir

What do you mean? Skype me?
Spruengli

Lorrainelovesplants wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Chez

Spruengli wrote:
Lorrainelovesplants wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Truth is the first casualty of the internet age Smile
Jo S

T'is me. And someone's already nabbed the Jo username (but doesn't use it Rolling Eyes ).
Marionb

Jo S wrote:
T'is me. And someone's already nabbed the Jo username (but doesn't use it Rolling Eyes ).

Exactly the same for me... I wanted to be just Marion but cant cos someone else had got it.. and they never post... Mad

Laughing
cir3ngirl

Jo S wrote:

I'd change to Davina but that gone too Mad
lottie

I originally posted as Lottie as before we moved I had 2 allotments and it was the first half of my family joke name.
ksia

ks and ia are our initials.
kirstyfern

I'm kirsty, the first foal that i bred i called fern so i'm kirstyfern on all the forums i go on and now i've even added fern as my middle name on facebook!
Around here i'm mostly called 'kirsty chicken', the farrier, everyone we shoot with, the village shop, the postman! I prefer kirstyfern though Laughing

The picture that gave me my forum name is now my avatar, it all started when i saved the picture as kirstyfern on the pc 7 yrs ago and i thought that sounds good, it's followed me ever since Smile
Rosemary Judy

My dad used to tell me bedtimes stories he made up about a little girl called Rosemary Judy, who had great adventures.

She had far more exciting adventures than I have ever had, so I have borrowed her name and am still waiting for the adventures.

There was always a happy ending - and she always had cake for tea !

And it makes me think of my dad every time I see it in print .....
otatop

I used to work in a small racing stable and Otatop was a particular favourite of mine. I chose to become him because I'm a slow typist with a bad memory for names.
Rob R

otatop wrote:
I chose to become him because I'm a slow typist with a bad memory for names.

Because your own name is incredibly long, and you couldn't remember it?
tim_and_nicky

I am now (mostly) Tim, as Nicky has now got her own account as Piggyphile. Because she likes pigs, and wanted to avoid getting me into trouble.

It's worked, up to a point...
Green Rosie

I am Rosie and I like green Laughing
ksia

Rosemary Judy wrote:
My dad used to tell me bedtimes stories he made up about a little girl called Rosemary Judy, who had great adventures.

She had far more exciting adventures than I have ever had, so I have borrowed her name and am still waiting for the adventures.

There was always a happy ending - and she always had cake for tea !

And it makes me think of my dad every time I see it in print .....

That's really lovely.
bubble

I'm bubble because of bubble & squeek, Jimmy the greek.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home