Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption
 


       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipe Database
mochyn

Brown sauce (HP type)

Anyone got a recipe? Or the ingredients from the back of a bottle...
tahir

Tamarind and dates are the two most crucial components I reckon
mochyn

I'm sure you're right, T. What else though?
pookie

hang on I'll go check, no3 child is addicted so we always have some in Rolling Eyes

ETA

Water, sugar, apple pulp, maize starch, molasses, acetic acid, salt, rye flour, spirit vinegar, tom puree, spices (tho it doesn't say which??)
judith

pookie wrote:
hang on I'll go check, no3 child is addicted so we always have some in Rolling Eyes


Is it the essential condiment for the omelette with fried egg? Laughing
pookie

judith wrote:
pookie wrote:
hang on I'll go check, no3 child is addicted so we always have some in Rolling Eyes


Is it the essential condiment for the omelette with fried egg? Laughing


OH YES!
judith

Laughing
The concept still makes me laugh whenever I think of it!
pookie

even he manages a wry smile when I mention it. Laughing
tahir

pookie wrote:
hang on I'll go check, no3 child is addicted so we always have some in Rolling Eyes

ETA

Water, sugar, apple pulp, maize starch, molasses, acetic acid, salt, rye flour, spirit vinegar, tom puree, spices (tho it doesn't say which??)


It appears to be changing all the time. There isn't now a mention of dates or tamarind, both of which were definitely part of the original recipe.
pookie

tahir wrote:
pookie wrote:
hang on I'll go check, no3 child is addicted so we always have some in Rolling Eyes

ETA

Water, sugar, apple pulp, maize starch, molasses, acetic acid, salt, rye flour, spirit vinegar, tom puree, spices (tho it doesn't say which??)


It appears to be changing all the time. There isn't now a mention of dates or tamarind, both of which were definitely part of the original recipe.


This is the Lancashire-made Hammonds Chop Sauce recipe, dunno bout HP or Daddies Confused
tahir

pookie wrote:
This is the Lancashire-made Hammonds Chop Sauce recipe, dunno bout HP or Daddies Confused


Hold on lady, there is only 1 brown sauce and it ain't by Hammonds or Daddies. Shocked
pookie

tahir wrote:
pookie wrote:
This is the Lancashire-made Hammonds Chop Sauce recipe, dunno bout HP or Daddies Confused


Hold on lady, there is only 1 brown sauce and it ain't by Hammonds or Daddies. Shocked


oooooo what is that then?

I buy chop sauce as I grew up in Lancashire Wink

AFAIR HP/ Daddies are now made in another country and the factory here was closed.

Daddies is just not....well.......mummies! Laughing
tahir

pookie wrote:
oooooo what is that then?


Well, I wouldn't buy it now (blinking foreign muck), but HP.
mochyn

Oh crumbs: what have I started? You'd think it was roast spuds.
pookie

oh thought you were going to come up with another make then Laughing

actually isn't daddies made by the same people as HP? (in the Netherlands) Confused
pookie

mochyn wrote:
Oh crumbs: what have I started? You'd think it was roast spuds.


just a brown sauce discussion, no problem here Wink Laughing
tahir

pookie wrote:
just a brown sauce discussion, no problem here Wink Laughing


Well, I'll be honest, if it was still UK made this could have been a full scale diplomatic incident.
Treacodactyl

There seems to be several here: http://www.brownsauce.org/recipes/
pookie

tahir wrote:
pookie wrote:
just a brown sauce discussion, no problem here Wink Laughing


Well, I'll be honest, if it was still UK made this could have been a full scale diplomatic incident.


well I think you should try Hammonds Chop sauce, if you haven't already!
lowri

I've always associated HP Sauce with school Spam (in the 50s) and using it to disguise the taste because there was nothing else to eat.
Ugh, I can taste it now (and that's many years ago!) Didn't even like it!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipe Database
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home