Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad
suomi

Brrrr!! its cold..!!

Well winter is well and truly here,its now down to minus 23!
Its cold...but so beautiful....the air is clear,crisp and dry. You can be outside so long as your moving around its fine.
The sheep have a crisp coating on their fleece! but they love the cold, they prefer to sleep outside evn though they have a shed they can use, difficult keeping the water free from freezing !
the chickens are inside and at a stable plus 4, so they are happy.
Killed 2 cokerels yesterday, brrr that was cold...but had a sauna straight after.....ohhh lovely..
the trees start to make loud cracking sounds when it gets this cold.

we are staying nice and toasty inside with our 2 wood burners.Days are short, sun rises at 9.30 and sets at 14.00, so you do what you can outside the when its dark its time for all thoese inside jobs.
We are enjoying the winter..yiippeeee.
suomi.
Went

Hi. I got up this morning to find a light dusting of snow in the mountain top (900 m high). Winters are generally very mild here. It was only 2 days ago that I was in short sleeves enjoying a 20 C during high noon. I do like a crisp and cold Winterīs day though. Enjoy the Winter. Very Happy
marigold

Sounds lovely - we had a light frost overnight and it's a bright morning. I like a bit of snow, but we aren't really geared up for it here.
gil

Sounds grand, suomi.
Cold snap stopped sometime last night, and at daybreak it was raining with traces of snow.
kevin.vinke

-7 this morning. Just the sort of waether I like for cutting wood for the burners Laughing
Still having trouble getting across to the kids that the reasons they were cold sitting at the breakfast table is they were wearing T-Shirts!!!
Unfortunately we have a huge stairwell in the house which is impossible to heat and the concept that they should keep the doors to their rooms etc closed so they heat up still hasnīt got through.
Looking forward to the snow now Cool
boisdevie1

Up at 5.10 this am and at work for 6. Bloody freezing. Nice now though.
dpack

hello again
warm here bout 10c

the noises of cold are ace ,i like the sound of wind packed snow underski at -25c ,the tinkle of frozen waterfalls as they slowly slide down is nice .

i dont like hearing running water behind what i am front pointing up:lol:

the gentle crackle of a fire is great
keep warm ,enjoy
Clara

First snow here too, 1000m in the south of spain. An amazingly terrifying lightening storm on top of the house last night and now blue skies.
AnneandMike

Hey Suomi, let's have some pictures. It would cheer me up. 4C raining and totally grotty here in Yorkshire.
LynneA

Teetering around 1 or 2 degrees right now. First flake of snow and London will grind to a halt.

Apparently, councils in the south of England have on average enough grit to last six days of freezing weather this winter. But I guess any stocks they did have would have been washed away in the past couple of months anyway.
gz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgmXrARr6aI
Very Happy
Green Rosie

MINUS 23 Shocked . Minus 5 here this morning and that was cold enough ... but a heck of a lot better than rain she quickly adds Laughing
Bebo

Really heavy frost here this morning. All the chickens water was frozen. The ducks don't seem to like walking across the frosty grass - they keep bouncing up in the air.
marigold

No frost here today, but it's damp and overcast and it feels colder than yesterday - all raw and grey.
lettucewoman

it's bl**dy persisting down with rain AGAIN here dammit!!! And flippin' freezing.... Sad
frewen

Light frosting - I think the chilli plant will survive Very Happy

Bit parky hanging out the washing though - brrr-
Barefoot Andrew

Not too bad here temperature wise - just grey and dreary.
A.
judith

Same here.
And I got out my thermal undies and Big Woolly Jumper in anticipation of a freeze. Rolling Eyes
ksia

I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes ..... It's flipping woolly-hat-in-the-house freezing.

(Same for you I guess Green Rosie?)

Maybe snow tomorrow but, for the moment, beautiful blue sky.
Jamanda

Freezing fog this morning. I hope santa brings me a pair of gloves. My last pair disintegrated.
emmantro

Hey suomi,
that sounds brilliant! Whereabouts in Finland are you based?

These are the days I miss Finland! Going from nice white winters (excluding all the sleety dark days in my memories Wink to the nearly never ending rain of NW England...

But maybe, maybe we'll get some snow soon too... at least it's going down to minus degrees overnight...
otatop

We just had a light dusting of snow here in London.
robkb

otatop wrote:
We just had a light dusting of snow here in London.

Yeah, and here at London Bridge - expect my train home will be cancelled soon Wink

Metcheck weather forecasts for the next fortnight show it staying cold - might actually kill the weeds and bugs at the allotment this year.

Cheers,
Rob.
suomi

Hi eemantro, we are near to Savonlinna, eastern finland.
So did you used to live here? or have you been here on holiday?
oh yes wether is winter perfect...trees are making craking sounds from the cold, the sky is blue, the sun sound snd full..and low, very low! the nights are amazing with all the stars out, its just amazing.... Smile Smile Smile
we love it... Smile
suomi

Hi eemantro, we are near to Savonlinna, eastern finland.
So did you used to live here? or have you been here on holiday?
oh yes wether is winter perfect...trees are making craking sounds from the cold, the sky is blue, the sun sound snd full..and low, very low! the nights are amazing with all the stars out, its just amazing.... Smile Smile Smile
we love it... Smile
Mr O

Minus 6 here and snowing again.
Ollie

Below 0F (about -18C?) here this morning for the first time I've noticed this winter. Brrr.
Green Rosie

ksia wrote:
I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes ..... It's flipping woolly-hat-in-the-house freezing.

(Same for you I guess Green Rosie?)

Maybe snow tomorrow but, for the moment, beautiful blue sky.

Yup - earlier in the week it was frozen everything - extremeties, water buckets, water butts, ground ..... woke up to 3cm of snow today but not as cold. The roads will be lethal is it freezes tonight Shocked
marigold

Just had a flurry of snow, but earlier in the day it was sunny and milder than yesterday and Tuesday.
boisdevie1

We've had a fair bit of snow today but it's a bit warmer. Our bedroom is not heated and the other morning there was ice on the inside of the window - but we have a lovely wool duvet!
If it freezes tonight the roads will be lethal - and I'm driving to work at 5.30am! Wish me luck.
judith

Scary. I hate icy roads.
Drive carefully.
sally_in_wales

Feeling really crisp and sharp out this evening, but no snow here yet. I'd quite like it to snow, I've just finished work for Yule and it would seem fitting to wake up to a decorative dusting of white snow tomorrow if the weather gods would be kind enough Very Happy
madmonk

Couple of inches here already and it's still coming down, I will just have to bung a few logs on the fire and open a bottle. It's alright for the OH she will be wrapped up in one of Sally's warm wooly thingy's, they come highly recomended so order now for Christmas. How's that Sally? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Slim

we're predicted a low of -3 tonight (~-20 celsius)

Very good to be warm inside, but nice to hear the snow squeak under your feet outside Very Happy
frewen

My boots were in the car port which is normally safe and dry - however 45 degree snow now means we all have very wet wellies Rolling Eyes

(and we'll be needing them tomorrow - so they are drying by the radiator now)
gil

-3 here, with flurries of snow on and off through the day.
frewen

Has the door slammer visited you yet Gil? Smile
gil

Which day's Yule Lad is that ? I've been out all day and evening, so he could have been here slamming doors and I wouldn't have known Wink
ros

Couple of inches of snow here this morning Confused I guess that means last day of term won't happen today Rolling Eyes

For anyone coming southbound on the A1 - it's a right mess thro' Beds at the moment - so much for all the talk of gritting the last couple of days
Fee

3 to 4 inches here, started while we were having dinner in the pub last night so I had the joy of driving home in the snow Very Happy
ros

yeah, I had to collect eldest from explorers xmas party at half ten last night - that was not my idea of fun
mousjoos

It's finally snowing here. Came back from UK on Sunday with flu, now I'm feeling better & I cant do anything as I cant cross the mountain. Oh well, there's always Jeremy Kyle
marigold

It was snowing hard when I went to bed last night, but there seems to be less snow lying now than at midnight - 2-3 inches I guess. The sky is very grey, so there may be more to come.
sean

None here. Proper hard frost this morning though.
Treacodactyl

5 to 6 inches here this morning in the Surrey Alps!
Bebo

marigold wrote:
It was snowing hard when I went to bed last night, but there seems to be less snow lying now than at midnight - 2-3 inches I guess. The sky is very grey, so there may be more to come.

Ditto at the other end of Sussex.
Blue Sky

-17! Shocked Now that reminds me why Scandinavia isn't on my 'possible places to move to' list.
Fee

My early morning wander this morning:

<pics moved to pics thread>
gz

Only frost here, clear on the top with ground like concrete(so Col says!!)
He has been over to Merthyr-2" on Dowlais, 4" on Storey Arms and not enough visibility to see what it is doing on the Beacons- looked like a long strip of snowy weather.
marigold

Nice pics Fee - I LOVE the middle one Very Happy . That would make a lovely Midwinter card.
Barefoot Andrew

Still just a few flakes here. Nothing to write home about.
A.
judith

I am torn between wanting it to snow and not wanting it to snow so Chez and Arvo can get here safely.
mochyn

judith wrote:
I am torn between wanting it to snow and not wanting it to snow so Chez and Arvo can get here safely.

It can snow after they've gone.
Chez

Just spoken to Judith and Helen. We are definitely not going to collect the trailer - don't fancy towing with the roads like this and H says it's very icy with her. And we are going to make a judgement later on whether to come up tomorrow.

It's very, very cold - and bright - here. Lovely. But possibly not travelling weather.

I am quite frustrated Sad.
mochyn

If you feel insecure about travelling then don't do it. We can go over to judith tonorrow and help with birds if necessary.

Pity though.
judith

Crying or Very sad

So frustrating, but probably safest. As I said on the phone, it is the last 4 miles to my house that are the problem. I don't like the idea of you having to stage your own nativity scene at The Goat in Llanfair!
judith

mochyn wrote:
We can go over to judith tonorrow and help with birds if necessary.

Don't worry about that - the only urgent one is the turkey, and Dave-from-down-the-road is coming to dispatch it for me tomorrow morning. (And I can come over and help you with the ducks on Sunday).
mochyn

judith wrote:
I don't like the idea of you having to stage your own nativity scene at The Goat in Llanfair!

Oh I don't know: they do very nice Welsh Black steaks in the Goat. And there's ususally good beer too. If C & A get there could you bring the birds and the plucker down? We could do the slaughtering in the car park.
judith

*Stamps foot*
I am not trudging five miles in the snow in my wellies carrying a dead turkey on my back just so you can stage some sort of renaissance tableau in a pub carpark. Not even for a nice pint of Big Nev.
*Smoothes ruffled feathers*
mochyn

judith wrote:
*Stamps foot*
I am not trudging five miles in the snow in my wellies carrying a dead turkey on my back just so you can stage some sort of renaissance tableau in a pub carpark. Not even for a nice pint of Big Nev.
*Smoothes ruffled feathers*

It would get into the County Times, though. And I could probably get the Landrover over to you to pick you up.
mochyn

And sorry, Suomi: we've hijacked your thread with the usual inconsequential MDS dither.
judith

The answer is still "No".
Cathryn

I don't think I will come this time. I'm torn but I also want to slow down and not rush around too much for the next two weeks. Freezing weather is the decider really. Jack's using the 4wd.

Have fun!
judith

It looks as though it may have to be postponed in any case.
Chez

*grump*
Cathryn

No grumps. Sad We will have a virtual one. I will be sitting in front of roaring fire with knitting, sewing, cake, sloe gin, whatever takes my fancy.
marigold

It's lovely here - bright and sunny now. The snow is pretty, but thawing fast. There's not a breath of wind and I didn't get particularly cold taking photos in the garden - no heating on indoors.
mochyn

Cathryn wrote:
No grumps. Sad We will have a virtual one. I will be sitting in front of roaring fire with whatever takes my fancy.

We don't need to know that.
Slim

I went ice skating on the farm pond this afternoon, and I'm planning on going out on the lake this evening. There are some definite up sides to the cold weather Very Happy
gil

-6 here now
Rob R

gil wrote:
-6 here now

Here too.
Slim

(I compulsively narrate, like my father, it's scary and embarrassing to have realized that today Laughing)
kevin.vinke

-15 have the heating on in the chicken hut..... seems a little strang ethat we heat the house with wood fires yet keep the chickens warm with an electric heater. Animal welfare before the planet? Cool
Barefoot Andrew

Proper (i.e. hockey) skates I notice there Slim Wink
A.
boisdevie1

Minus 2 this morning at 10am in the polytunnel. Lots of snow on the ground and work has been cancelled - yippee.
Rob R

We've just been looking at the forecast for this area- doesn't look like we'll be using the tap this side of Christmas, with a nighttime low of -8 on Wednesday.

Edit: Apparently it got down to -8 here overnight, but I was well tucked up under several blankets and a duvet.
Chez

What do you do for water then, Rob?
Rob R

We have a free running tap at the new buildings- it's just a pain having to fill a freezing barrel and barrow it up here. The animals are on rainwater tanks in the yard and I break the ice on the pond for the ones out in the field. I've been waiting for a dry break to sort the pipes out (without scrabbling around in mud) so it's my fault really but don't let Nat hear me say that.
Chez

Rob R wrote:
but don't let Nat hear me say that.

Say what? Your secret is safe with us Laughing
Slim

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
Proper (i.e. hockey) skates I notice there Slim Wink
A.

Just one of those things that's terribly difficult to do barefoot. Very Happy
Cathryn

Smile

It's snowing right down to the sea here. The weather forecast said in the South and East. Confused You can't get very much further West from here.
mochyn

I'm reading Ice Station Zebra at the moment: keep thinking how cold it sounds and then I have to go outside...
Barefoot Andrew

Slim wrote:
Just one of those things that's terribly difficult to do barefoot. Very Happy

Tis rather Very Happy I've not used my hockeys for yonks.
A.
marigold

It's colder here today than yesterday. Despite the bright sunshine the snow is not melting at all. I've just given in and put the heating back on 'cos I'm frozen. I need some fingerless gloves...
Bodrighy

kevin.vinke wrote:
-15 have the heating on in the chicken hut..... seems a little strang ethat we heat the house with wood fires yet keep the chickens warm with an electric heater. Animal welfare before the planet? Cool

I would imagine that a wood fire in the coop might pose a few problems....mind you roast chicken is always welcome

pete Laughing
Rob R

I was looking at the temperatures forecast earlier- looks like being another cold one on Wednesday night with Lincolnshire down to -9 Surprised

Not looking like any opportunity to get above zero here though Crying or Very sad
suomi

We have to keep our chickens warm too, we have a wood burning stove in the room beside them which we light once a day or twice a day when its reakky cold, like now minus 26 Surprised Surprised ! the heat then moves into the chicken room via a hole in the wall, we use a fan to move it sometimes, chickens are then kept above freezing, and they are happy! Smile
its starting to get warmer...should be only minus 21 today.
forcast for the rest of the week is arund minus 12 and lots more snow!
When you are all geaed up for the cold and lots of snow its no problem but I can really see how its difficult for you guys at the moment, but enjoy.. Very Happy Very Happy
suomi Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home