Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
henchard

Builder Recomendations - Derby Area?

My son is buying his first terrace house in Derby and I need a good builder to do some refurbishment for him. Maybe a new roof or overhall, fit gas flue and terminal, new flat roof to kitchen, possibly change the internal layout/stairs. Move bathroom upstairs, improve insulation where poss. Ancillary plastering, plumbing and electrical work. etc/ leaving the internal finishing for him to do

Any recommendations of genuine tradesmen who can do this type of work. Not looking for the cheapest but good tradesmen at a fair price. It would help if they have examples of work/satisfied clients we could look at. Thanks in advance.
dpack

i know a chap in west yorks who would be perfect but it might be too far out of his area.

i found him by getting recommendations from letting agencies who do property management and then chose the sensible quote/decent chap from the few names i got .

ps i used to do such things but im retired,bad knee ,no local contacts up north etc and too far away but if you want to show me the quotes i will comment and as i have recently organized a £30k refurb i probably have a fair idea of current costings etc Wink
henchard

ps i used to do such things but im retired,bad knee ,no local contacts up north etc and too far away but if you want to show me the quotes i will comment and as i have recently organized a £30k refurb i probably have a fair idea of current costings etc Wink

Thanks, I do have a reasonable idea of costs (but a second opinion is always useful). Just could do with some local knowledge to help avoid the cowboys!
derbyshiredowser

I'm in Derby and had a new roof of these people John L Morgan they are a family firm in the westend of Derby. I had it done 6 years ago in the new Teflon coated slates and they give a 20 year guarantee.

http://www.jlmroofingderby.co.uk/

I have never seen such a slick operation they are so neat and tidy and constantly sweep up, three others up our street have had them as well . My Nephew had them out to sort his chimney flashing out and they came on the same day and only charged £30.

Electrician we used for a bungalow last year safety check was McQ electrical , Martin McQuillan very conscientious and thorough
tel 07948 380264.

Derbyshire county council run a very good trusted trader scheme for all sorts of services.
Hope this helps a bit.
henchard

I'm in Derby and had a new roof of these people John L Morgan they are a family firm in the westend of Derby. I had it done 6 years ago in the new Teflon coated slates and they give a 20 year guarantee.

http://www.jlmroofingderby.co.uk/

I have never seen such a slick operation they are so neat and tidy and constantly sweep up, three others up our street have had them as well . My Nephew had them out to sort his chimney flashing out and they came on the same day and only charged £30.

Electrician we used for a bungalow last year safety check was McQ electrical , Martin McQuillan very conscientious and thorough
tel 07948 380264.

Derbyshire county council run a very good trusted trader scheme for all sorts of services.
Hope this helps a bit.

many thanks, very helpful
Mutton

Sounds like you are sorted. Only other comment, is judge by how they do the quotes.

We needed roofing work done years back - rather complex roof with dormers and bedrooms with sloping ceilings. We were doing it up after buying it, stripped off polystyrene tiles in one bedroom and behind it, on the sloping ceiling, was mould and soggy plaster. Reckoned the roof was leaking somehow, though could see wrong nothing from the outside.

Had three quotes. Two just strolled past looking bored and were there and gone in five minutes. The third rang because he was running late, turned up after dark, had a powerful torch with him so he could look at the roof from the outside and then on the inside said "can I dig into this plaster?" We said yes and he had a good old delve, found the wall plate was rotting as well and that the previous owners had stuffed plastic bags in there and plastered over it. He explained that while there were no missing tiles, they'd been laid wrong in their alignment, gave us an exact quote, did a very good job, and we've since used him twice on other jobs. He included in his quote money for replacing I think it was ten tiles - he said with the kind of 1920s clay tiles we had on the roof, with his folks up there, however careful they were they'd probably snap a couple and have to replace them. As it happened, they didn't break any.
Nowhere near you sadly.
His company did a lot of listed buildings.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home