Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Hairyloon

Building with glass bottles.

Anyone tried it?
I've seen various examples on t'internet, but never any for real, and I've got a shed to build, so I'm giving some thought to construction materials...
vegplot

Wasn't it books a little while ago?
Hairyloon

I'm working my way through the alphabet. Wink

I am throwing plenty of bottles away, and I know people do likewise. I can't say the same for books.
Also if I build half a wall of books they'll go soggy when it rains, but bottles are waterproof.

When I've built my bottle shed, I'll have space to start saving books for the next one.
vegplot

Our house will be built with bottles. Melted in a furnace then aerated bottles.

http://uk.foamglas.com/en/building/products/foamglas_the_product/ecology/
dpack

i suspect that the wear n tear(knocks)to a shed might make bottles a poor choice
Hairyloon

i suspect that the wear n tear(knocks)to a shed might make bottles a poor choice

Maybe render it afterwards...
Tavascarow

I have a pig keeping book that says to use a layer under a concrete floor for insulation. I see no reason why you shouldn't use them in wall construction if the wall isn't load bearing but I bet building regulations will say otherwise.
Ty Gwyn

I have a pig keeping book that says to use a layer under a concrete floor for insulation. I see no reason why you shouldn't use them in wall construction if the wall isn't load bearing but I bet building regulations will say otherwise.

As long as you go for bottles that contain at least 5%abv,the load bearing won`t be the problem,but the building might,lol.

Its usually egg trays or cartons for insulation under concrete,not heard of bottles.
Mistress Rose

We recently watched an recorded version of the 'Victorian farm' and they used bottles under the floor of the pig sty for warmth. Not sure about using them for walls though. Your aerated glass sounds interesting Vegplot. Nick

Pizza oven bases are often made with bottles, because they provide superb insulation. Hairyloon

Not sure about using them for walls though...
It can have a timber frame to support the weight of the roof and upper stories, but I do wonder how it stands up to a well thrown half brick... I suspect it may be better than we imagine.
vegplot

We recently watched an recorded version of the 'Victorian farm' and they used bottles under the floor of the pig sty for warmth. Not sure about using them for walls though. Your aerated glass sounds interesting Vegplot.

Foamglass works on the same principle as bottles. Closed cell voids provider thermal insulation and the glass the structure which is light weight, rigid, load bearing, and moisture proof. Fantastic stuff.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home