Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Toffer

Bulk aggregate

We're thinking of getting a bulk order of grit / gravel, maybe around 10mm, for drainage, paths, weed suppression etc. Anyone have any idea what sort of price per tonne I'd pay for a decent sized order direct from the quarry?
Rob R

About 40 - 50 per tonne.
chicken feed

we pay 32 - per ton direct from quary
Rob R

we pay 32 - per ton direct from quary

For 10mm? Is that plus vat or inc? Mine were including, btw, and from memory.
chicken feed

inc i am not 100% sure if thats mates rates as the guy that owns the quary if a friend (i would seem rude to ask that bit though)
Rob R

inc i am not 100% sure if thats mates rates as the guy that owns the quary if a friend (i would seem rude to ask that bit though)

No, you're quite right, I'm wrong - it was my terrible memory for figures - 27.50 per tonne including VAT, now I've checked the bill Embarassed
T.G

We paid 3 months ago 100 for 20 tonne delivered of 3/8ths down to dust mixed.

Plain dust was 60 for a wagon load, 20 tonnes, if we go and collect direct a flat bed ford pickup load is 3 .. yes, Three pounds.
Ty Gwyn

We paid 3 months ago 100 for 20 tonne delivered of 3/8ths down to dust mixed.

Plain dust was 60 for a wagon load, 20 tonnes, if we go and collect direct a flat bed ford pickup load is 3 .. yes, Three pounds.

That is Cheap,and would that be Limestone?

I dare say the quarry is close to you,but even so,how do they make that price pay?
Nick

Bet it depends, hugely, how many tons, and how far is the quarry. Toffer

Whereabouts in the country are you TG? onemanband

Rough figures for aggregates inc vat in Hertfordshire
1ton 'dumpy' bags 40-50 ish
Loose on truck collected 28-35 ton - but I usually get much more (a drink at xmas goes a long way Wink )
Delivered loose 1-5 ton 30-40 ish
Direct from quarry I haven't done recently, but guess 20-25/ton for 10 ton load.

Loose collect from quarry I've found is only marginally cheaper for me and usually more hassle than getting loose from merchant.
Similarly when I do need direct from quarry/bulk load, it is easier to go through builders merchant.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home