Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Kimblebee

Bumble Bee issues.

I understand bumble bees are different from honey bees but was hoping to get a little help if at all possible.

Several bumble bees (or one very persistent little blighter) are becoming extremely obsessed with an area on the back of my house, I think its the drainage pipes but I cant see clearly to be sure.

They are hovering around all day, I believe they may be making a nest?

Now, I really like bees, and so have no issue with them being there. However this is rented property and my landlord would more than likely have them all exterminated in the blink of an eye.

My question is, is there any way of discouraging them from returning without harming them now as opposed to having my landlord just kill them all as soon as she knows of their existence?

Thanks muchly.

I also know my landlord will not allow me to put up a nest box as a suitable alternative, she is very strict on the state of the house.
gil

I think (and maybe the DS beeks can confirm) that this is more likely to be one, single masonry bee. They live in holes in buildings / walls, do not make nests, and are solitary.

Bumblebees are more likely to nest in grass tussocks etc.

So no need to tell your landlord, I think.
Kimblebee

Thats a great releif, I rather enjoy watching him buzz around and would hate to see any killed.

Although I did think that bumbles lived in small colonies.
Finsky

Hi there..
There is many solitary and bumble bee species that for untrained eyes look very much alike..the good new is, that either sort are very placid and not easily persuaded to sting..particularly many solitary bees don't have sting at all. Those that most commonly use buildings for their nests are masonry bees...type of solitary bee.
Only honey bees build permanent homes and become nuisance for humans if they take recidence..but rest of bee species only stay few months at most and come end of summer/autumn they dissapear and quite likely never return to same place again.
It virtually impossible to remove bumble (and other bees) nest without distroying it...not only because the access..but even if you able to get hold of it, it is very small structured and easily damaged and once away...those foraging bees won't find their nest anymore. They mentally map their nest site and are fixed to it.
Depending of bee species their numbers per nest is only small from few individuals to couple of dozen at most.
If you are able to live with them for couple of months,leave them be, enjoy their company and once they've gone you know that summer is nearly done... Rolling Eyes
Oh..another thing..bees don't do any structural damage to property, if there is entrace and space for them to nest, they simply use what ever else has caused the 'space' to appear. Bumbles are particularly fond of old mouse nests and masonry bees for space that is crumbling for due to bad workmanship or other faults.
Kimblebee

thanks muchly. Im more than happy for her to stay, my fear was purely that from my landlord.

This has rather intrigued me now.. im going to try and sneak a photo to try and properly identify her.

I feel rather silly now for being so uneducated after claiming I like bees Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I guess we all have much to learn.
Tavascarow

Oh..another thing..bees don't do any structural damage to property.

That's not quite true.
Honey bee nests in a cavity wall can sometimes leave large amounts of honey if they die out (or get exterminated).
If it's not found by robbers it will in time draw moisture from the atmosphere, ferment & can cause damp issues.
Not a common problem here in the UK but in the US where most houses are timber clad & dry walled frames more so.

Kimblebee if the bees are coming from the pipe it's probably a bumble bee nest.
As Finsky says they shouldn't cause a problem & IMHO I would leave them be & not tell your landlady.
Finsky

Quote:
That's not quite true.
Honey bee nests in a cavity wall can sometimes leave large amounts of honey if they die out (or get exterminated).

Perharps I should have been more clearer with my reply..Yes it is true that honey bees nest can cause damage with their sticky mess..
I was talking more of bumbles and solitary bees and their behaviour... they do not 'dig', chew or loosen any masonry that is not already loose or damaged..
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home